Menu

s/o Hey Spy Car :) (Bill)

parias1126

These may dribble out as I remember some we've liked.

There are a number of very interesting books by the Japanese artist/mathematician Mitsumasa Anno that were especially interesting. They rage from a very introductory Counting book to a variety of math game books. These are very highly esteemed (by me) and my son really like these.

The Number Devil was very good, at the end some of the math was a little beyond my son so we will return to it.

The "What's Your Angle, Pythagoras?" (read this week) was undoubtedly inaccurate on a "historical" level, but quite fun and got my son very interested in angles and in solving problems based on the Pythagorean theorem (which is pretty cool).

We have enjoyed Greg Tang.

It has been awhile, but there are the Sir Cumference books. There was some slight thing I dimly recollect being slightly off in the book on pi.

Phantom Tollbooth doesn't exactly fit the genre, but sort of.

I want to re-read Archimedes and the Door of Science with him. I actually read it to him years ago (but he had not really acquired language skills yet, so I'm not sure how much he picked up :D). Not strictly a "math" book, but good.

There is the book The Librarian who Measured the Earth about Eratosthenes.

There is one (whose name and author slip my mind, perhaps someone else will remember?) that is picture based with dots and is about visualizing "one million."

There must be others.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

With all due respect to Bill's willingness to share his thoughts on math, I have to say that a more general thread about math books -- and a thread title that reflects the content -- might be more likely to get others to contribute their suggestions as well. I would be interested in contributing to such a thread.