Menu

X-POST= Need recs for a VERY auditory learner

One of the things we found out about ds is his Verbal IQ is MUCH MUCH higher than his Non Verbal IQ. Not only is his VIQ much higher but his NVIQ is that of a 2-3 year old (he is 6.5) I am cross posting this in the K-8 board but I am asking here as well. I am planning on SOTW audio as well as reading the sections to him (he needs repetition) but what else? I have the MUS skip counting CD but that is it. Any and all suggestions very welcomed. :001_smile:

My kids love the Magic School Bus, Bill Nye, Myth Busters, Nova, David Attenborough, Walking with Dinosaurs and History Channel Documentaries. They both also love books on tape in the car and most children's classics are on tape. Most of Ambleside Online's titles are at Librivox and you can get lots of SL titles on cd from the library. I also just search my library to see what I can find when ds or dd is interested in something in particular. There's a lot out there.

What does that all mean, exactly? Does it mean that he learns primarily through listening? I assume that is what is implied. If that is the case, anything that can be read to him would work, as long as he processes what he hears correctly.

What has been recommended to work on his non-verbal skills?

What does that all mean, exactly? Does it mean that he learns primarily through listening? I assume that is what is implied. If that is the case, anything that can be read to him would work, as long as he processes what he hears correctly.

What has been recommended to work on his non-verbal skills?

Yes basically he does not retain anything written (or much of anything) We just got all the diagnoses last thurs. I have an app with the OT to help with the NVIQ. This is all new to me. She is going to go over exactly what the NVIQ scores mean more in detail at the next app with the OT. The psychologist said that he learns MUCH better verbally.

Yes basically he does not retain anything written (or much of anything)

Oh, boy. That's going to be tough. Of course, at 6.5 he won't be doing much reading to learn yet. I wonder how to teach him that written words and pictures have meaning? I'm trying to think of this as trying to teach a second language, but that may be tougher if he really struggles with pairing a visual symbol with a concrete image. Math could be tough too. Lots and lots and lots of manipulatives might really help.

I've got a question, though. How can they tell if a child can't retain anything written? I'm curious. Or is it that he struggles with pairing a written symbol to a sound or a command? Because teaching reading is going to be hard if that is the case. If you could find a program that shows the written symbol with the audio sound that might help a bit. I'm pretty sure that there are a good number of phonemic awareness helps out there. I think I would focus on that before even attempting phonics. Elizabeth B, help me out here.

If he has the motor coordination to write, will writing and saying the letter and sounds help with spelling and reading? How about picture study and narration to show how words can tell the story of what he is seeing?

Oh, boy. That's going to be tough. Of course, at 6.5 he won't be doing much reading to learn yet. I wonder how to teach him that written words and pictures have meaning? I'm trying to think of this as trying to teach a second language, but that may be tougher if he really struggles with pairing a visual symbol with a concrete image. Math could be tough too. Lots and lots and lots of manipulatives might really help.

I've got a question, though. How can they tell if a child can't retain anything written? I'm curious. Or is it that he struggles with pairing a written symbol to a sound or a command? Because teaching reading is going to be hard if that is the case. If you could find a program that shows the written symbol with the audio sound that might help a bit. I'm pretty sure that there are a good number of phonemic awareness helps out there. I think I would focus on that before even attempting phonics. Elizabeth B, help me out here.

If he has the motor coordination to write, will writing and saying the letter and sounds help with spelling and reading? How about picture study and narration to show how words can tell the story of what he is seeing?

He has been going through testing for just over 2 months. They did a huge battery of IQ tests using different testing methods and somewhere in there they figured that out. Not sure the exact one. When I meet with the OT she will have more answers for me (she is working with the Psychologist since we are getting most of his services through her)

I was wondering about recording our phonics lessons so he can hear as he looks at them? Does that sound like it will work. I am just new to this. I have alot to learn. I went from 2 dd's that just learned with little effort to my ds who just can't, ya know? He is getting the hang of writing very very s l o w l y (somedays) I can tell writing is going to be a long time to master for him though. He is VERY VERY into music so I am wondering about some musical learn to read program (is there such a thing?) I am sure I can find musical science type programs (I hope) I know there are grammar jingles I can find later on to help with that. Math- maybe. I will be doing alot aloud and with manipulatives. Audio book are going to be my best friend. I have to somehow teach him how to understand Non verbal information though because I think that will really hinder him later on if I don't, ya know? Any ideas on how to do that?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I have to somehow teach him how to understand Non verbal information though because I think that will really hinder him later on if I don't, ya know? Any ideas on how to do that?

When you find a good one, let me know, will you? I've been stuck all my life trying to read behavior instead of facial expressions!:tongue_smilie:Boy, does it ever slow you down. I still find books so much easier to befriend than people. People, you never know what they are going to do.

Actually, I expect that some of the social stories programs would be useful in teaching some non-verbal social cues. As for some games you could do at home, maybe charades. You also might try cooking with him. Somethings in cooking you can show better than tell, and there is nearly always a tasty reward at the end. My son with high-functioning autism really enjoys helping me with the cooking, and I can show him exactly how I want something mixed or added without explaining it in words. He has to follow how he sees me do it.

I was wondering about recording our phonics lessons so he can hear as he looks at them? Does that sound like it will work. I am just new to this. I have alot to learn. I went from 2 dd's that just learned with little effort to my ds who just can't, ya know?

This is what has me stymied. He does have to learn to pair the symbol with the sound. That sounds easy enough, because phonics is all about hearing the sounds. I was actually thinking about using manipulatives for your phonics too. You can get tubs of magnetic letters that you can have for him to show you when you give him a sound. Once he can pull a letter when you say the sound then you might have him start to write it on a piece of paper. OPGTR uses a lot of games with magnetic letters. I don't know if that would be a good book for him, however, the lettering is small and a little awkward to the eye. But she does have the child use the magnetic letters to play with and spell with.

He has been going through testing for just over 2 months. They did a huge battery of IQ tests using different testing methods and somewhere in there they figured that out. Not sure the exact one. When I meet with the OT she will have more answers for me (she is working with the Psychologist since we are getting most of his services through her)

I was wondering about recording our phonics lessons so he can hear as he looks at them? Does that sound like it will work. I am just new to this. I have alot to learn. I went from 2 dd's that just learned with little effort to my ds who just can't, ya know? He is getting the hang of writing very very s l o w l y (somedays) I can tell writing is going to be a long time to master for him though. He is VERY VERY into music so I am wondering about some musical learn to read program (is there such a thing?) I am sure I can find musical science type programs (I hope) I know there are grammar jingles I can find later on to help with that. Math- maybe. I will be doing alot aloud and with manipulatives. Audio book are going to be my best friend. I have to somehow teach him how to understand Non verbal information though because I think that will really hinder him later on if I don't, ya know? Any ideas on how to do that?

Well, there is Sing, Spell, Read and Write (SSRW). These days, I don't care much for their approach to phonics (I can be dogmatic about presentation)...but back when there wasn't much available to homeschoolers (seriously) I used it to teach my first 3 kids to read. It worked, they all read extremely well. Letter sounds, blends, diagraphs set to song and games. I'd at least look into it. Older, used sets can be found quite reasonably...especially cassette versions, if you can do that. Workbooks are replaceable.

http://www.singnlearn.org/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=singspellproducts carries it and other "singing" materials.

This is a multi-sensory program, all modalities are used. Example: When singing the sounds, the student will be pointing to the sound symbols that they are singing, "sound" and modalities are always paired. Here is a audio sample of the songs/chants used:

http://www.christianbook.com/spell-write-kindergarten-level-1-combo/9781567048094/pd/6363P?item_code=WW&netp_id=142286&event=ESRCN&view=details Lower price, too.

Play-N-Talk was another musical program, a little pricier I believe

http://www.play-n-talk.com/playntalk.html.

:D

Geo

P.S. If interested, I saw a used SSRW on www.homeschoolclassifieds.com ($100ppd)

Edited by Geo

When you find a good one, let me know, will you? I've been stuck all my life trying to read behavior instead of facial expressions!:tongue_smilie:Boy, does it ever slow you down. I still find books so much easier to befriend than people. People, you never know what they are going to do.

Actually, I expect that some of the social stories programs would be useful in teaching some non-verbal social cues. As for some games you could do at home, maybe charades. You also might try cooking with him. Somethings in cooking you can show better than tell, and there is nearly always a tasty reward at the end. My son with high-functioning autism really enjoys helping me with the cooking, and I can show him exactly how I want something mixed or added without explaining it in words. He has to follow how he sees me do it.

This is what has me stymied. He does have to learn to pair the symbol with the sound. That sounds easy enough, because phonics is all about hearing the sounds. I was actually thinking about using manipulatives for your phonics too. You can get tubs of magnetic letters that you can have for him to show you when you give him a sound. Once he can pull a letter when you say the sound then you might have him start to write it on a piece of paper. OPGTR uses a lot of games with magnetic letters. I don't know if that would be a good book for him, however, the lettering is small and a little awkward to the eye. But she does have the child use the magnetic letters to play with and spell with.

I hope there is something to tell you about. I don't know if such a thing exists but I sure am going to start looking :001_huh:

Ya know we do have magnetic letters, letter tiles, sticker letters so I will have to get my creative juices going (hmmm.. I seem to lack in the creative juices area though :confused:) He has eye tracking problems so the small print in OPG will not work. We actually tried that before Phonics Pathways and it bombed but now I am guessing thats why, wish I would have known about all this first. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

I have been looking into Carol Gray's social stories... Somebody had them for sale on the for sale boards here, I am going to have to hunt that post down and see if its still available. :001_smile:

Well, there is Sing, Spell, Read and Write (SSRW). These days, I don't care much for their approach to phonics (I can be dogmatic about presentation)...but back when there wasn't much available to homeschoolers (seriously) I used it to teach my first 3 kids to read. It worked, they all read extremely well. Letter sounds, blends, diagraphs set to song and games. I'd at least look into it. Older, used sets can be found quite reasonably...especially cassette versions, if you can do that. Workbooks are replaceable.

http://www.singnlearn.org/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=singspellproducts carries it and other "singing" materials.

This is a multi-sensory program, all modalities are used. Example: When singing the sounds, the student will be pointing to the sound symbols that they are singing, "sound" and modalities are always paired. Here is a audio sample of the songs/chants used:

http://www.christianbook.com/spell-write-kindergarten-level-1-combo/9781567048094/pd/6363P?item_code=WW&netp_id=142286&event=ESRCN&view=details Lower price, too.

Play-N-Talk was another musical program, a little pricier I believe

http://www.play-n-talk.com/playntalk.html.

:D

Geo

P.S. If interested, I saw a used SSRW on www.homeschoolclassifieds.com ($100ppd)

Sing, Spell, Read and Write is JUST what ds needs. It would kill us to buy it brand new though :svengo: I am going to check out the homeschool classifieds link.... that would be amazing! He is sitting here rocking along with the music listening to the samples with me :001_smile: And he just repeated one of the jingles :001_wub: I am going to be stalking this program now :lol:!!!!!

Sing, Spell, Read and Write is JUST what ds needs. It would kill us to buy it brand new though :svengo: I am going to check out the homeschool classifieds link.... that would be amazing! He is sitting here rocking along with the music listening to the samples with me :001_smile: And he just repeated one of the jingles :001_wub: I am going to be stalking this program now :lol:!!!!!

:D:D:D Great! I think most of my family are strong auditory learners. I have always snatched up stuff that we can learn by listening/singing to. Audiobooks are HUGE around here...except SOTW, We HATE the nasal-y sound of Jim Weiss's voice! :glare: My kids go to sleep at night listening to Your Story Hour, Bible in Living Sound or Adventures in Odyssey...

Geo

I have been looking into Carol Gray's social stories... Somebody had them for sale on the for sale boards here, I am going to have to hunt that post down and see if its still available.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look into them too. Although I really don't know how I'm going to teach them. So many social cues mean nothing to me...(sigh).

I expect knowing more about what he needs in the non-verbal department will be helpful. They might be talking more about coordination and his vision issues.

Pollard's Phonics and Spelling series uses songs and cute pictures and is free from Google books.

The links for the program are in the middle of my phonics and spelling books page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/phonicsandspelli.html

It will take a bit to figure out, but the manual is excellent. If you use the "First Book for Little Folks," it may be easier than the original design of alternating between the Blackboard, Speller, Primer, and Reader. The songs are in the Manual.