Menu

My daughte has invited a friend into the house.

I guess I need to improve my standards of neatness, as she has given him the grand tour. This friend's mom is a neat freak. Our beds are not made, and there is 'stuff' laying everywhere. It's not always this bad, but I am cringing as I think of what he is going to tell his mom. :(

I love it when my son's friends (age 6) tell us (in our house) that our house is so messy. I always want to say that it must be nice to have a SAHM that drops the kids off at school every morning - gives your mom lots of time. Some of them have help pickup after them too. My spouse and I currently work different shifts to accomplish paying the bills and homeschooling with our two children.

We'd have someone in to pickup after us but we're not comfortable with that.

So, messy house it is!

I know I'm a slob, I've always been a slob, and I'm embarassed by it, but not enough to get into gear and clean up:D I just have different priorities, like....the message board!! I guess I should up my standards a titch. I am disorganized and always losing stuff. The dishes are clean and the kitchen is hygenically clean, but it's also cluttered. Things are just laid down where I finish with them. I just do NOT want to become my mother. <sigh> SHe's been gone for 11 years and will haunt me the rest of my life.

"Homes are for self-expression, not first impressions." (Love that line from Yours, Mine & Ours, remake!)

We have a weekly cleaning lady, chores galore, and still my house looks like a tornado just hit. Ya' know what, it did :) I have high maintenance friends who get the heebie geebies when they enter my home. But my children will remember the time we hang out and play, not the endless hours I spend slaving over household duties. The house will be clean soon enough--and the noise and laughter will be away at college. (My home was spotless growing up. My friends didn't like being there b/c it was too stuffy and might upset the maid--aka mom.)

I think we all react to our homes growing up. If they were happy places, we want to re-create that, whether they were tidy or messy. If they were not happy, we try the opposite in hopes of effecting the opposite emotional state.

Turns out I'm happiest when my home is neat and clean. My kids hear me say "A tidy home is a happy home!" Not really true, of course, at least in a causative way, but having external order helps my internal peace. It's easier now that the children are older, and you can't always tell where they've been by the tornado left behind.

But my overarching goal is a happy home, where children are allowed to be children, and we learn cooperation and joy. Some of that learned while scrubbing toilets. ;)

I think we all react to our homes growing up. If they were happy places, we want to re-create that, whether they were tidy or messy. If they were not happy, we try the opposite in hopes of effecting the opposite emotional state.

Turns out I'm happiest when my home is neat and clean. My kids hear me say "A tidy home is a happy home!" Not really true, of course, at least in a causative way, but having external order helps my internal peace. It's easier now that the children are older, and you can't always tell where they've been by the tornado left behind.

But my overarching goal is a happy home, where children are allowed to be children, and we learn cooperation and joy. Some of that learned while scrubbing toilets. ;)

I'm happiest when my home is neat and clean also, my mom had a lot of clutter growing up (it's only gotten worse) and so our house is pretty clutter free, and a place for everything, everything in it's place. Someone could stop by at a moment's notice and things would be relatively clean. Now we do have days when there's more dust on the furniture than others and the kitchen isn't as tidy, but our beds are always made and clothes are always put away or in the laundry room.

But we have plenty of friends that aren't like this and we love them anyway.

Kristine

LOL! Dh called me last Saturday morning (right before "family cleaning Saturday " was about to start and announce dtha the was bringing the pastor home from men's Bible study, and they would be there in 10 minutes. :eek:

:eek: Oh no, dh would be in BIG trouble with me if he were to pull a stunt like that! hahahaha