Menu

What curriculum would you recommend?

RobinF

We have a friend who is going to start homeschooling next year. Her dc will be in 6th grade. She needs help in math (didn't pass the standardized test this year) and language arts.

They have considered K-12 through the school system and several of the boxed curriculum options.

I was talking with her and I actually think using WTM resources like FLL and WWE with writing and grammar. I just bought IEW phonics zoo for spelling and she is going to look at that. If she uses SOTW for history would it be ok for her to begin with SOTW 1 even though it is written for a lower level.

This doesn't sound like the most challenging 6th grade choices but I am wondering if it would be a good start for them and would all dc to "catch" up on some skills that aren't as strong as others?

What would be a doable science program which wouldn't require much planning/investment on her part?

Any recommendations?

We love the Apologia textbooks. They are well-written and engaging -- she could pick one that matches an area of interest for her child, open and read. She can do any activities/experiments that appeal -- or skip them altogether.

However... Apologia is written from a Christian perspective, so if she's not a Christian, it might not appeal.

Is her dc looking forward to homeschooling or is she coming out kickin and screamin? I know you asked for curricula, but to me homeschooling is all about relationships. It would seem that if they spent time together, doing educational activities (maybe nature walks and nature journal for science) among other "loose" but worthwhile educational pursuits, they would get a feel for their teaching style vs. learning style and build on. Getting a successful start. . . .

Math is important, though, and I can't help you with that, sorry. I use RightStart but starting that in 6th grade might be tough. Although, maybe it would be good to look into. The homeschool version is listed by Levels and starting with the Transitions book and going to level C or D might just be a great idea, come to think of it. It is a very strong program conceptually, uses an abacus rather than loose manipulatives (which might offend a 6th grader), and other tools. HTH

She is a Christian so that isn't a problem. I am thinking that either Apologia or something similar would be a good choice for science. Especially if they could read and not have to do lots of work.

I will have her look at RightStart. I am pretty sure that she couldn't pick up at the 6th grade level of most math programs because of her background.

They are looking forward to homeschooling. THis is her oldest dc and she eventually wants to bring them all home (4 dc). The idea is to pull the oldest out first because she will be going into middle school and is already dealing with some social issues.

I am thinking that she needs to spend the year bringing her math and language arts up to speed and use history and science as supplements. Does that sound feasible and like it would be ok for a year?

I am thinking that she needs to spend the year bringing her math and language arts up to speed and use history and science as supplements. Does that sound feasible and like it would be ok for a year?

YES! If she is behind in those areas, I would absolutely do what you are recommending. Skills over content!

For science I'd look into Elemental Science Logic Biology or ClassiQuest - they have Biology and soon will have Earth Science both for logic stage. Both are good without a huge investment.

I have a 6th grader and frankly she considers SOTW (especially 1) to be babyish. The info is good but the writing style is definitely young. For writing and grammar I'd go with Analytical Grammar (or JAG if they are really grammar newbies) and work on oral and written narrations before jumping into any writing program. If she wants it laid out then WWE is a good choice but she wouldn't have to start with 1.

For math, I'd look at Life of Fred. The chances are that they've covered a good deal of math, but haven't done it well or understand it well. Life of Fred can really help that without taking years to get back what they should have been learning all of this time.

Another option if they are too far behind to use LOF would be MUS. I don't find it a particularly strong program overall but it definitely would have a place in shoring up their foundation, helping them understand math and being able to move at their own pace. That will be the biggest problem is trying to get them remediated without costing them so many years that they are behind permanently. Unless they have a math learning disability it's likely that once they start being taught math in a way they can understand, it will take off for them.

Heather

Prentice Hall Science Explorer series for middle grades is secular, it has Earth, Life, and Physical Science. There are two options, you can either buy the all in one book (all areas of Earth science) or they come in smaller sectioned books (5 per each subject). Cost for the all in 1 used is around 40-50, seperated is about 5-10 per book. The experiments are easy, most items needed can be found easily. There's also CPO Science, also seperated into Earth, Life, and Physical sciences. Their experiments are a bit harder/more in depth. You can see the whole book at this site... http://www.nhusd.k12.ca.us/node/52 . I have both Earth Science curriculum, the kids like the PH much better then the CPO, there's more fun stuff. I would think coming from Public School, the PH would be a better match, plus you can buy just two or three of the books at a time to save on up front costs.

As to history, although we really are liking SOTW for my 7 yr old, it's not enough for my almost 10 year old. We went with a used copy of K12 Human Odyssey Vol 1. Very similar in style to SOTW, but more in depth. I purchased the book used from Amazon for around $20. I do not use the online courses, we like going at our own pace.

First, I would say to her that just because the child did not pass the TAKS test, doesn't mean that they don't know math or are not capable of math. My kids are in PS right now, and I've seen the math practice tests. The questions can be very tricky in their wording, and honestly ask things that I just want to say "why?"

I also know the math curriculum that my kids use (one of about 4 state approved curriculums). My kids use TERC Investigations, and it is one of the big reasons we are homeschooling next year. It is lousy, esp if the teacher does not supplement with other resources.

My kids usually do well in math, but I'm going to have to do a lot of de-programming and reteaching standard algorithms with them. We are using Horizons next year for my 6th grader on down. If her dd is struggling with math though, she may need something with a little more practice. Although if she is using Investiagtions right now, she may just need some real math :D and Horizons would be fine.

Oh, and we are using Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space Science next year for the younger three, but I am supplementing a bit for my 6th grade dd. I've looked at the other Christian Kids Explore series, and they all look good for 6th grade except for the Biology one (it looks to be for younger kids). Very inexpensive book and inexpensive and easy to implement.

I've also looked at Elemental Science and REAL Science for Kids, and I will probably use one of those the following year. Neither one have an Earth Science curriculum, so I went with CKE.

Now, I haven't used any of these yet (including the CKE), but I researched science heavily, and I've already got the year planned out for CKE next year so I feel like I am pretty familiar with it.

How about Spectrum's Rainbow for science?

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/version2/rainbow.htm

I haven't used it, but I am going to use their Chemistry next year, and will likely use Rainbow for my youngest child in a few years. (I really like the looks of it and the reviews I've read.)

I also really like SonLight's Science 4 (now "E") http://www.sonlight.com/science-e.html I have used it successfully and will use it again. It is aimed at Grade 4ish, but would be a gentle but good quality (and not at all babyish) science year for a 6th grader.

For Language Arts, I'd recommend Rod & Staff English, probably starting with Gr 5 at that age, but I'd ask around and/or look at samples before deciding for sure. It's very easy to implement and very solid & traditional.

I'm not much help with math b/c my kids have hs'ed from the beginning & are very mathy.

My DD will be in 5th grade this fall and is testing at a 3rd grade level math. We are letting her finish 4th grade out in public school. She test's poorly tho so what were doing is using MUS based on her learning style and her need for high repetition to master a skill. This whole year our main focus is to get her math skills up to where they need to be so I have chosen to start with SOTW 1 even tho the reading wont be challenging enough for her. We are also starting out easy with the WWE and FLL b/c She is going to have to get use to copy work, dictation and narration. We are using ES Biology for the logic stage as well. She does well with spelling and english in school so I am hoping we can go at a moderate pace with WWE and FLL b/c she enjoys writing a lot.

I'm hoping that come 6th grade we can power back up to things more challenging for her.

Math Mammoth might be a good choice. She could take the placement test, see which areas were a struggle, and then just buy certain 'topics', for example, fractions. MM offers the "light blue series" which is grade level and the "blue series" where you can purchase individual topics (adding, place value etc). I love that you don't need a separate teachers book (the teaching is in the workbook), its challenging, and cheap. The blue topic downloads are only a few dollars, so if it doesn't work or you don't like it, you're not out much money.

Rightstart is K (level A)- 4th (level E) and then a Geometry program (level G). I wouldn't probably start a 6th grader with it...but that's just my opinion ;).

First, I would say to her that just because the child did not pass the TAKS test, doesn't mean that they don't know math or are not capable of math. My kids are in PS right now, and I've seen the math practice tests. The questions can be very tricky in their wording, and honestly ask things that I just want to say "why?"

I also know the math curriculum that my kids use (one of about 4 state approved curriculums). My kids use TERC Investigations, and it is one of the big reasons we are homeschooling next year. It is lousy, esp if the teacher does not supplement with other resources.

My kids usually do well in math, but I'm going to have to do a lot of de-programming and reteaching standard algorithms with them. We are using Horizons next year for my 6th grader on down. If her dd is struggling with math though, she may need something with a little more practice. Although if she is using Investiagtions right now, she may just need some real math :D and Horizons would be fine.

Thanks, I don't know what Math curriculum they use in this ISD. I know that I have had my boys take the TAKS test for their grade every year just to see if they could pass it with what we use for homeschooling. We use MUS and they have passed the math portion every year even if there were things that they hadn't covered yet.

I think I like the idea of Math Mammoth and will recommend that she look at that.

I would also recommend math mammoth. When we pulled my son from school into a k12 program, they had to place him back a whole year in math (thank goodness the grade levels were colors or he would have been so upset). That math did not work for him at all. Now that we are homeschooling, math mammoth has allowed us to go back and remediate based on topics - again, he has no idea of what the grade level is.

Overall, he has done so much better with math mammoth and finally doesn't get upset when the math books come out.

Also, Maria (creator of MM) will work with you to find the best placement.

I would also recommend math mammoth. When we pulled my son from school into a k12 program, they had to place him back a whole year in math (thank goodness the grade levels were colors or he would have been so upset). That math did not work for him at all. Now that we are homeschooling, math mammoth has allowed us to go back and remediate based on topics - again, he has no idea of what the grade level is.

Overall, he has done so much better with math mammoth and finally doesn't get upset when the math books come out.

Also, Maria (creator of MM) will work with you to find the best placement.

Thanks I am going to recommend that she research Math Mammoth.