Menu

Is there a way to get a copy of the ITBS?....

Rhondabee

There were just *so many* questions that my 4th grader didn't attempt to answer.

I know he was nervous, and that the test ended an hour earlier than it was scheduled to. So, I wonder if he felt rushed.....or if he just really didn't have a clue.

(This is the same kid who quit answering the questions after the word fiesta appeared in one of the questions - and he insisted the whole way home that "the test was in Spanish!" Yeah, I know ~ he's wierd.)

Anyway, if I could *see* the test, I could hopefully figure out if this was test jitters, a lack of time, or a lack of mom's efforts.

Thanks,

Rhonda

because the tester has to give each child the entire time alloted for each section of the test. (ie 30 minutes for science, 30 minutes for social studies, etc). If they ended any sections early it would invalidate test results. I'm assuming the testing you speak of was in a group session & they ended "early" because they had planned for more time than they needed.

I give the ITBS to my kids on my own through piedmont education services. If you didn't give the test yourself, how do you know he didn't answer some the questions? It's normal, especially in some sections of the test like math computation, to not finish all the section. If your testing group hasn't sent the test booklets back yet, maybe you could ask to look at one of their copies, but I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that. I still have my copies of the test here since I'm going to mail it back tomorrow so I could give you a little more specifics on the time allotted for each test if that would help.

Have you ever given your son practice tests? You can get some generic ones next time before the testing so he knows & feels more comfortable with this kind of testing.

Don't get too hard on yourself about the test though. :)

HTH

Jacqui

If you or a cooperative friend or relative qualify as a tester (requires a B.S. degree), BJU will send you the actual test. Then you (or said friend or relative) could just give it to him again in the comfort of your own home. I don't know of a rule against taking it twice so close together. If there is, perhaps you could do it in the fall.

I agree that the results aren't at all helpful if you have a kid who just panics. Well, except to tell you that he has test anxiety, but I'm guessing you knew that already.

Terri

FYI:

This is info on the IOWA (bold print from their website). This is what the tester agrees to when administering the IOWA test.

Requirement for test administrators: Please remember that any individual who will be involved in administering any portion of the test or who will be alone with the student(s) during any part of the testing must be pre-approved by BJU Press Testing & Evaluation.

Test security: It is the tester’s responsibility to keep all test materials secure. Under no circumstances should test materials be given to anyone other than approved test administrators (including parents). This includes personally taking the responsibility to return all of the materials in reusable condition to us by an insured and traceable method within 50 days of receipt (rather than delegating to any other individual). In addition, no attempt should be made to self-score the completed tests or provide a parent with test content or a selfassessment

of the student’s performance on the test.

Also, I just wanted to say that some of the tests do seem rushed, meaning there are tests my oldest doesn't finish, and yet he always scores in the top 8 percent. Just wait for the test scores. You will then be able to see his strengths and weaknesses better.

We've always use the Scoring High ITBS preparation books and they have really helped prepare my dc on what to expect. Looking through one of these prep books would also give you a good idea of what types of questions are asked.

Louise

I won't retest because I know if I do he'll feel like he "failed".

He scored in the 24th National Percentile Rank, which I know is a little skewed given that we don't do a traditional curriculum for "Social Studies" and Science. (And I already knew his proof-reading skills are crazy-making.)

But, Yes, they did end the sessions early. (this was given at a "homeschool academy" - classes two days/home three days sort of deal) The administrator told me (in front of my child) that if everyone was "finished" with their test before time was called, she would call time early. And, my ds called me an hour and 15 minutes before the scheduled ending time to come get him.

So, I'm wondering if this was a select group of kids taking the tests - I found out later that only one other kid in my son's group was even homeschooled - the rest were public school kids?!?!? Anyway, my ds said that "everyone else was finished" so he figured he should be, too; that he was the last one to turn his test in, and that everyone else was "so smart".

I wonder, knowing how fragile his "bravado" is, if he was embarrassed that it was taking him longer, and so he just blew off part of the test. I know he didn't answer questions because the Performance Profile tells you for each individual skill: total items, number attempted, %Correct for your student, %Correct Nationally. In the skills where he attempted all the questions, his %-rank was between 65-100%. But, he attempted less than half the total questions in 24 of the 56 skills.

IDK, you know how certain people just rub you the wrong way? Well, the remark this administrator made about how "now I would know if my curriculum wasn't producing positive results" really irked me. I could tell she wasn't the sort of person who would appreciate my dc being in her school, iykwim. So, I'm sure that is also affecting my emotional reaction to this piece of paper, which really only confirms his strengths and weaknesses.

His Reading and Comprehension and Language Usage scores were much better than all his other scores, and his brother, who's in 7th this year, scored really well all across the board - even on the things we haven't "studied" - like maps and reference materials. This ds will be getting the same schooling his db had - or better - So, we'll just keep on keepin' on.

I guess it's particularly bummin' because my dh made a big deal about how great my kids' education was, and this test was gonna be a no-brainer, and he really thought our kids would be over the top. (I knew better because I refuse to teach to the test!) And, now, I can't show my ds his results and have a big "woo-hoo! we're doing great!" moment even though we *are* doing great.

Anyway, thank you for letting me whine here!

Rhonda

It is very very normal to not answer a portion of the tests.

I give the tests myself. I highly recommend not even looking at the tests. Do not stress over missed questions or questions not attempted. I always make it clear to the children before testing and the results do not matter at all. I also never show them the results. They never have test anxiety at all. I also never ever give practice tests or tests for anything throughout the year. Literally, ITBS is the only test they take through the year. They do not even take so much as a math test or anything through the year for any subject. If your child has test anxiety, I would be sure to make tests "fun" and remove any anxiety that comes from taking practice tests, stressing the importance of the test and so on. I would not even show them the results. I would, however, if you really think the results look wrong, then I would question the testing environment.

Realize, most children do not answer every question. It is made to push the limits basically so it can show some kids are ahead of grade level. The average child actually will not answer every question for most tests.

I also want to add that you should instruct your child that if he has troubles with a question, to skip it and come back later if he has extra time.

I just went back and read more and I can tell you that if his percentile rates were 65 to 99 percentile, then he did very well. As I am sure you know, 50th percentile is completely average. Only half the children will score higher than that.

Can you tell me what the "national stanine" numbers mean?

I mentioned before his Language scores were okay, and now I see for the "Core Total" his grade equivalent is 4.5 (which I'm happy to notice - I know he's an average kid). The National Stanine number beside that is 5. But, I don't know what that means?

What really pulled him down was scoring 2nd grade equivalents in Social Studies and Science. Again, I think that will move up as we move into logic stage next year. If only they had asked whose horse was named Bucephalus- LOL!

Thanks, Summer!

Rhonda

Are you required to test in social studies and science? Virginia only requires test scores for the language arts and math portion, so that's all I do. Sometimes I'll administer the maps and diagrams portion because I find that useful, but I don't follow traditional science and social studies, so I find it a waste of time to test these subjects.

Cutting out the unnecessary portions would make the test far lighter. Also, if you have a college degree, you can test your own son. This would allow you to span the testing over 3 days instead of one.

Are you required to test in social studies and science? Virginia only requires test scores for the language arts and math portion, so that's all I do. Sometimes I'll administer the maps and diagrams portion because I find that useful, but I don't follow traditional science and social studies, so I find it a waste of time to test these subjects.

Cutting out the unnecessary portions would make the test far lighter. Also, if you have a college degree, you can test your own son. This would allow you to span the testing over 3 days instead of one.

We did the CAT test at home after the first year, and it was hard for my kids not to ask for help (and it was hard for me not to give it!). It was very hard to have a quiet testing environment with my toddler demanding attention. And, so we just thought it would be a good, if not enjoyable, experience for the kids to have a more "professional" atmosphere.

And, my dh *really* thought it would make me feel more confident in what I do. Being a high-straight-A student, it is hard for me to relate to my very phlegmatic boys (dh included) who are thrilled to get B's as long they don't have to study, because that's still "above average". (And who would probably be happy to get C's.) It seems I am constantly pushing, and it is hard to tell, "Am I pushing too much? Am I pushing enough? Is it *ever* 'just right'?"

If we do test next year, I think I'll opt to do it at home again. (I also cut out the Social Studies and Sciences when I did the test two years ago, though we'll be finishing our history rotation next year, so maybe some of that will come up. We'll see.)

Thanks!

Rhondabee

If this is a norm-referenced test handled the same way as Stanford,

the stanine numbers are a way of arranging all the scores on a bell curve. 7-9 is the upper percentages, 4-6 are the biggest middle group, 1-3 are the lower percentages. So he scored right in the middle by that.

The grade equivalent means he scored the same as a fourth grader in the 5 month did from the original testers on the same test. The grade equivalent can be confusing to people. Some think that when a student scores far above their grade level, then they are ready for that grade level work, but not necessarily. If a 3rd grader scores 8.7 grade, that means an 8th grader in their 7 month would score as well on that 3rd grade test.

I was in charge of testing for a co-op in TN and attended a workshop for Stanford testing that explained how to read the scores. My daughter has taken the ITBS since then and the scores seemed to be the same type as the ones I had studies in class.

Amy of GA

11yo dd

5yo ds