Menu

optgr ???

mrs.m

DS5 keeps fussing about OPGTR not having stories with pictures. :glare: I've been adding in Bob Books and using LLATL readers and I think it is making it worse. He acts like I'm asking him to read War and Peace.

Today I wrote one of the stories out in a little book and let him illustrate it. He loved that! He really likes to draw. I'm sure I can do that once or twice a week but not everyday.

What are some other creative ideas to help us get through the reading sections? For the most part, I keep talking him through it and we get it done. But it would be nice to have a few other ideas to break it up. I'm really set on continuing with OPTGR until next fall. I really think it works even though DS is being difficult. ;)

Luckily my dd hasn't complained of that yet- although I find it dry at times! I can sympathize with your little one. I just try to make OPGTR as non- school like as I can. We will go sit by the pool and swim between reviews and lessons. Or just cuddle up together on a chair. I try to force myself to giggle and laugh at the silly sentences as though they were the funniest things in the world and I find my dd feeds off my enthusiasm.

For my dc, I printed out a bunch of "story paper" and after each reading lesson, they drew something from the story and wrote what they wanted under the picture. For example, we read a story about someone named Stan, who stacked a bunch of sticks. Dd drew a picture of Stan and a pile of sticks and wrote "Stan" under the picture - she asked me how to spell Stan and I said it out loud for her while she wrote. When she was done, it hung on the fridge for the day and then I filed it under "reading" in our LA notebook. (I write which OPG lesson it is from on the back.)

Sometimes, if I'm really feeling ambitious, I read the lessons ahead of time for the week and printout color pages that match the stories. For the Stan story, I would have just found a picture of a boy and said that it was Stan. We recently read about fish on a dish, it would be easy to find a picture to match that.

:iagree:

And I write all the words and stories in a notebook in colored markers or colored pencils. When he finishes a batch of words or a story we use Stickers and stars to show how well he's done. We also write the words and ONE sentence for him to copy on a dry erase board in color.

This doesn't help the picture part but it's worked well for us.

I was just looking at the back of my OPGTR last night and buzzed by the paragraph on "why" there weren't any pictures in the book...take a look. I"m going to too now that I remembered it. :001_smile:

Wonderful ideas! We have a 1st grader and a 2nd grader (nearly done there), and we are having problems with the font. They both think it is "squishy" and often will miss an i or an l, where in their readers they would never miss the same word. These ideas could help alleviate it some. They love to draw and color, so I think I'll write the words in book form and have them illustrate during their quiet time.

Does anyone else have this problem with the font in OPGTR?

Sometimes I'll type the whole lesson on the computer in a different font and also make it larger. The capital "I" that looks like a lowercase "l" always confuses my ds5.

Same here. I have many times typed out the whole thing for DD. When we're done with the lesson I'll hole punch it and put it in a 3 ring binder for her. So we're slowly building a reading notebook that she can pick up and read her old lessons for review.

Sometimes I write the lessons on the white board with colored dry erase markers. She really likes this and it's a great way to break it up and have some fun with it.

I too have trouble with the font. I don't like the I. Also I really think that the letters are too close together for comfort. I use a piece of paper (index card) to uncover blends one at a time, but there is no way my fat finger would work. (And I don't have fat fingers.:glare:)

I'd also like one and a half spacing between lines.