Menu

ADD Meds and increased IQ?

Anyone else seen this? My 10yo had his testing redone today and his Verbal IQ jumped 20 points and his Performance 40 points!!!! The psych said that we would probably continue to see increases into the future as his learning catches up. Has anyone else seen this? Was it true for your dc? The test scores just reinforced what I was seeing at home, but it was good to have some concrete proof that the past 6 weeks is not all in my head!:tongue_smilie:

I am wondering because if it is the meds that is doing this, we are highly considering medicating the 8yo as well if it will help him. He has the same symptoms overall as the 10yo (but he doesn't have the rage.)

One of my dyslexic nephew's IQ went up by 20 points, and his NP said he didn't think he'd maxed yet. My dd9's working memory has improved drastically since her evaluation, and that score really pulled her IQ down, so I suspect her IQ would be significantly higher if she were retested. And if she were medicated at the time, I think it would be even higher, because her focus was incredible when she was medicated.

I'm glad to hear your ds is doing so well. :001_smile:

One of my dyslexic nephew's IQ went up by 20 points, and his NP said he didn't think he'd maxed yet. My dd9's working memory has improved drastically since her evaluation, and that score really pulled her IQ down, so I suspect her IQ would be significantly higher if she were retested. And if she were medicated at the time, I think it would be even higher, because her focus was incredible when she was medicated.

I'm glad to hear your ds is doing so well. :001_smile:

Working memory is the biggest problem my 8yo has - it was so low that it invalidated his FSIQ. I would like for him to see the gains his brother has - he wants so badly to read and write like everyone else. Between that and the fact that the older he gets the more dangerous his impulsiveness gets, we may try stimulants with him as well.

I am so happy for my ds - he is so hopeful now that he can be "just like everyone else!";)

See you soon!:D

Yes. I'm not sure if it was the meds, but yes, my son's GAI went up about 35 points. The working memory index score went up 20 points. The processing speed index score stayed roughly the same.

This news about your son is awesome! I am so happy things are going well for him!

Working memory is the biggest problem my 8yo has - it was so low that it invalidated his FSIQ. I would like for him to see the gains his brother has - he wants so badly to read and write like everyone else. Between that and the fact that the older he gets the more dangerous his impulsiveness gets, we may try stimulants with him as well.

I am so happy for my ds - he is so hopeful now that he can be "just like everyone else!";)

See you soon!:D

Yep, our EdPsych said my dd's score were so variable that basically her IQ score was of little value. There was a 66 point spread between her highest score (processing speed) and lowest score (working memory). But since then, she went from not being able to remember one sound or one word that I just said to memorizing and remembering everything. If we lose something, she's the one we ask where she last saw it.

If you have an opportunity to do any therapy with your 8 yo that targets wm, go for it! Interactive Metronome, Therapeutic Listening Program, Cogmed. And do a few digit spans with him every day.

Tax season is over. :party:

For us testing was completed and SpEd services started for like 2 weeks...then we started meds and even the SpEd teachers are amazing at how well she is doing and the fact that she is able to answer and do things that she was completely unable to do just a few weeks before. I know the meds are why she is doing so much better.

What meds are you all using with your children with low working memory.?

My dd did great with Concerta, but after a month or so, she refused to take it because she said it hurt her stomach. I didn't force her to take it because she is incredibly skinny and can't afford to lose weight. With Concerta, she could remember her thoughts long enough to follow through on them.

We tried Adderall, which was horrible, and Ritalin, which was okay but not as good as Concerta, and she continued complaining about her stomach hurting.

After all that, we decided not to medicate her any more.

My dd did great with Concerta, but after a month or so, she refused to take it because she said it hurt her stomach. I didn't force her to take it because she is incredibly skinny and can't afford to lose weight. With Concerta, she could remember her thoughts long enough to follow through on them.

We tried Adderall, which was horrible, and Ritalin, which was okay but not as good as Concerta, and she continued complaining about her stomach hurting.

After all that, we decided not to medicate her any more.

I have been reading about the side effects and was wondering if it was worth experimenting with my dtr. She as such poor working memory:tongue_smilie:

Congratulations!!! That's awesome! I won't have specific testing numbers to back mine up, but I suspect that after we get my son to a therapeutic dose, his working memory will get back up to par with his intelligence. His memory had gone down to nil, and we hadn't made any progress over the last month or so.

I'm so happy for you about all this! You guys have been through the wringer :)

I have been reading about the side effects and was wondering if it was worth experimenting with my dtr. She as such poor working memory:tongue_smilie:

My ds is on Vyvanse and he also complains of stomach aches at times. If I can get some food in him before he takes his meds, it limits the stomach aches. He thinks the stomach aches are worth it for the benefits he gets.

As for weight loss, he has lost some weight and is pretty skinny now. If his weight is too low when he sees the ped in a couple of weeks, we will probably start giving him Pediasure.

We medicated him for out of control behavior (rage and aggression) and the academic benefits were just icing on the cake (and NOT expected!)

My ds is on Vyvanse and he also complains of stomach aches at times. If I can get some food in him before he takes his meds, it limits the stomach aches. He thinks the stomach aches are worth it for the benefits he gets.

As for weight loss, he has lost some weight and is pretty skinny now. If his weight is too low when he sees the ped in a couple of weeks, we will probably start giving him Pediasure.

We medicated him for out of control behavior (rage and aggression) and the academic benefits were just icing on the cake (and NOT expected!)

Thanks, Renee. I was discussing this with my pediatrician today (side effects). She was also concerned about my dtr's weight because she is skinny (but is a great eater). She gave me an ADHD questionaire to fill out for me and her resource room teacher. I had a neuropsych look at all her testing (she did a consult for now) and strongly felt her issues were due to a language impairment, but she did give me a lot of info on ADHD because there is a chance of co-morbidity. I am planning on enrolling her full time in school next year because she is getting a lot of services and I need a break from the running around. I think of your experience and wonder :confused: if I am on the right track. I have to say though that I get unbelievable support from the therapists and the special ed teacher..they are willing to work with me either way. At this point I am at the school 5 days a week.

Everyone feels that she should give it a try to get art and music and if the positives don't outway the negatives, I can always bring her home again.

I am so happy that things are working out for you. I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers often. I always felt you had so much on your plate and wouldn't it be nice if your load was lightened a bit. :)