Menu

Let's talk Civil Air Patrol. . . .

I've been waiting until my ds12 turned 12 to have him join. He was never very excited about it, and won't say why. He has always been into flight, despite my natural inhibitions he wants to go into the military (to fly). He shows interest in some of the activities on the website. I.just.don't.get.it.

What can you tell me about CAP that I wouldn't know by looking at their website? Activities? Have your dc loved it? dropped out of the program? hated it?

I think he thinks it will take over his life :001_huh: or, though he won't admit it, is shy about trying new things - though new sports has never stopped him. One other concern that I know about is that CAP may try to make him into something he's not (I know, and the military won't?? :lol:).

Anyway, what can you share?

TIA - bunches!

Ds is brand new to CAP (joined last week!). He visited for several weeks before making the decision to join. Perhaps visiting will help your ds be more encouraged to join.

My ds was on the fence. I encouraged him quite a bit before dropping the subject. It helps that he vaguely knows many of the kids, and he has a very good friend in CAP also. I am a little concerned that he'll find it "too much," taking over his life, so I'll continue to encourage when needed.

Both of my sons and my husband (as a sr. member) have been in CAP for years.

With any national organization, a lot depends on your local branch. Ours has been pretty good!

You do have to observe for two or three weeks before deciding to join. Each week has a theme: aerospace education, moral leadership, etc. They do PT (push ups, running, sit-ups) and also learn formation and drill (marching, etc.)

Occasionally they have a bivouac (sp?) which is camping and usually they are serving in some way - doing a parking detail for a community event.

They also get to FLY. (gliders and planes) They have fly-days and get to see neat planes, make connections with pilots and congressmen, etc.

It was never time consuming. They meet one day a week. Once our boys went higher in rank, they had more responsibilities with leadership, which added more time... but not much. We detest being away from the home too much. I won't allow something to consume our lives like that.

Anyway, there have been a few cadets that have gotten into trouble and there is always some kind of mini-drama with adults/leadership/doing things "right" vs. how someone else wants to do them. But, overall, it is a good program. (inexpensive as well!)

They go up in rank by testing in books that they get, so there is a learning aspect to it. Later on, they have to do oral reports, but that is later on.

They do tech respect to authority, to those higher in rank, etc. A mini military structure, so you have to be okay with that.

You know its funny, some times our kids are just destined or wired to do something totally different than we expect. That's OKAY. Honestly, I can't think of anything better (well, missionary or pastor maybe) than serving your country(military) or community (cop/fireman).

Side note: I just posted on my oldest and how he got into flight school in a different thread. :D

I hope this helped!

Tracie

My ds was in CAP for about 1.5 years. Like your ds he's interested in flying but shy about joining new things. Dh had been in CAP as a cadet and told ds of his experience. So ds and a friend (whose dad was active duty AF at the time) visited and joined together.

After about 6 months the friend dropped out due to other commitments needing his attention. Ds continued, but after a year he just sort of lost steam. Part of it may have been that if he missed the meeting a certain week he couldn't promote and then would have to wait another month. Another issue may have been the poor communication within this particular unit. And yet another issue may have been that he was trying to live up to what he perceived were dh's expectations rather than pursuing CAP for his own reasons.

While dh had no particular expectations for ds (other than wanting ds to be involved in some kind of activity), he had done Very Well in CAP. After ds appeared to lose interest I suggested to dh that maybe ds felt like he needed to live up to a certain expectation. So dh had to address that with ds--to go to CAP if *he* wanted to, not because he thinks dh wants him to. Ds stopped attending after that. Ds really enjoyed CAP during that first year, though.

I know this got long, but I saw *your* excitement in your post and hope your ds doesn't feel pressured to join CAP because of that. Many here can share their positive experiences with CAP. I just wanted to share our story.

I am glad someone posted about this. My 12 yo is interested, but I am not sure how he will do with the "military-esque" aspect to the whole thing. He is a very independent thinker, with a mouth to fit it. :) I wonder if the actual plane flying will be the carrot.

BTW, cub scouts was a dismal failure.

Ds is brand new to CAP (joined last week!). He visited for several weeks before making the decision to join. Perhaps visiting will help your ds be more encouraged to join.

My ds was on the fence. I encouraged him quite a bit before dropping the subject. It helps that he vaguely knows many of the kids, and he has a very good friend in CAP also. I am a little concerned that he'll find it "too much," taking over his life, so I'll continue to encourage when needed.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I wonder if my ds had a friend join with him, if this would solve it for him. His close friend is in Boy Scouts and I've wondered if he'd want to make a switch, haha. We'll see.

With any national organization, a lot depends on your local branch. Ours has been pretty good!

You do have to observe for two or three weeks before deciding to join. Each week has a theme: aerospace education, moral leadership, etc. They do PT (push ups, running, sit-ups) and also learn formation and drill (marching, etc.)

Occasionally they have a bivouac (sp?) which is camping and usually they are serving in some way - doing a parking detail for a community event.

They also get to FLY. (gliders and planes) They have fly-days and get to see neat planes, make connections with pilots and congressmen, etc.

It was never time consuming. They meet one day a week. Once our boys went higher in rank, they had more responsibilities with leadership, which added more time... but not much. We detest being away from the home too much. I won't allow something to consume our lives like that.

Anyway, there have been a few cadets that have gotten into trouble and there is always some kind of mini-drama with adults/leadership/doing things "right" vs. how someone else wants to do them. But, overall, it is a good program. (inexpensive as well!)

They go up in rank by testing in books that they get, so there is a learning aspect to it. Later on, they have to do oral reports, but that is later on.

They do tech respect to authority, to those higher in rank, etc. A mini military structure, so you have to be okay with that.

You know its funny, some times our kids are just destined or wired to do something totally different than we expect. That's OKAY. Honestly, I can't think of anything better (well, missionary or pastor maybe) than serving your country(military) or community (cop/fireman).

Side note: I just posted on my oldest and how he got into flight school in a different thread. :D

I hope this helped!

Tracie

Thanks for your response, Tracie. Yes, it is helping me to see other's experiences w/CAP. I think CAP would either be a delight to him or it would kill any romantic type notion of joining the military. He is my only son and this would be fine with me if he didn't serve. Sorry, I'm selfish this way. At the same time, far be it from me to stand in the way of him doing what he wants to do, and perhaps what God put in him to do with his life. I feel stronger about this than I do about him joining military.

I didn't know there were flight scholarships available through CAP until I saw your post. In fact, I didn't know most of what you posted here - so thank you. I did see your other post, even told my son about it. He shrugged. I pressed him with questions as to his indifference. . .and then I dropped it.

Well, maybe the timing isn't right. or something. One of my biggest fears for my children is that they will graduate high school and still be clueless about their path in life: what they want to pursue in college, etc. Seriously, this was me when I graduated and dh, too. We both floundered for a while, then went to college and wasted a lot of precious years. If anything, I am "pressuring" my ds to be open to pursuing interests so that as he gets a bit older, he'll have some direction.

Thanks for listening. :)

I know this got long, but I saw *your* excitement in your post and hope your ds doesn't feel pressured to join CAP because of that. Many here can share their positive experiences with CAP. I just wanted to share our story.

Thanks for saying this. It's true - for 3-4 yrs since I first heard about CAP, I tucked it away and thought if ds is still interested in flight, I would look into it. A year ago, I perused the website, and heard tidbits about CAP. Last Feb, ds turned 12 and shortly before that I asked if he wanted to visit. Anyway, like I said above, I either want ds to join and love CAP because that's what's in him to do, or I want him to rule out military entirely. He does have a hard time coming under authority when I disagrees with the reasoning, though we've worked with him for years about it. ha. He is my son, that's for sure:tongue_smilie:

THank you, for your response.

I am glad someone posted about this. My 12 yo is interested, but I am not sure how he will do with the "military-esque" aspect to the whole thing. He is a very independent thinker, with a mouth to fit it. :) I wonder if the actual plane flying will be the carrot.

BTW, cub scouts was a dismal failure.

I truly LOL at your cub scout experience. Your ds and my ds have some things in common! and it ain't cub scouts. But that made me laugh!

I hope this thread helps both of us ;)

I hope this helped!

Tracie

My DS1 is only 5 and already begging to join, each and every time he sees them at an air show and for so long after.

I shall be honored if he (or they both) serve; and i fully expect -- in some way -- they will serve their nation as well as their God

(I responded earlier, but I have more to say!)

I don't think my ds is aware of the flying benefits of CAP, nor is he interested in the military as a career. I focused on the advantages I saw: a good group of kids (90% hsers here), structured environment, regular activity outside the house, independence, responsibility, accountability, and fun things that we are unable to provide at home. These appealed to him and, together with his visits, convinced him to join.

(I responded earlier, but I have more to say!)

I don't think my ds is aware of the flying benefits of CAP, nor is he interested in the military as a career. I focused on the advantages I saw: a good group of kids (90% hsers here), structured environment, regular activity outside the house, independence, responsibility, accountability, and fun things that we are unable to provide at home. These appealed to him and, together with his visits, convinced him to join.

You know, Kristine out of lurking, thanks for sharing this. My ds12 is very social, wants to be around other boys his age (he has sisters at home). Maybe a visit is in order. Thanks for your response.

Anyway, like I said above, I either want ds to join and love CAP because that's what's in him to do, or I want him to rule out military entirely. He does have a hard time coming under authority when I disagrees with the reasoning, though we've worked with him for years about it. ha. He is my son, that's for sure:tongue_smilie:

THank you, for your response.

Actually, in spite of losing interest in CAP, my ds is still interested in the military. I think CAP can be a good resource for those interested in learning more about the AF and for developing some leadership skills, but I also think a lack of interest in CAP does not necessarily indicate a lack of interest in the military. Kids' interests can change so much in the teen years. Are you really expecting your ds to make career decisions at 12yo?

Guest Dulcimeramy

My son is having the time of his life in Civil Air Patrol.

Three weeks ago, he flew a Cessna.

Two weeks ago, he camped out on a Search and Rescue training weekend.

One week ago, he studied rocketry and helped in an air show.

Tomorrow, he is wearing dress blues and serving as a page at the Statehouse.

Our squadron has excellent leadership and is full of very fine young men. We've been very happy with this experience.

Actually, in spite of losing interest in CAP, my ds is still interested in the military. I think CAP can be a good resource for those interested in learning more about the AF and for developing some leadership skills, but I also think a lack of interest in CAP does not necessarily indicate a lack of interest in the military. Kids' interests can change so much in the teen years. Are you really expecting your ds to make career decisions at 12yo?

No, I'm not expecting my ds12 to make career *decisions* at this point in his life. I'm just expecting him to be open to exploring opportunities in his stated areas of interest. If he didn't have the interests he has, which so many seem to align nicely with CAP, I could not and would not pursue this at all. But he is outdoorsy, has been intereste in flight since he could say "plane", and other interests that I'm seeing. Thanks for your input!:)

Our squadron has excellent leadership and is full of very fine young men. We've been very happy with this experience.

Dulcimeramy, thank you for your response. Of course, I am curious: How old is your ds and how long has he been in CAP? How did he get started - does he want to go into military - did he always? I'm thinking your ds must be older to be participating in these types of activities. Thank you!

Guest Dulcimeramy
Dulcimeramy, thank you for your response. Of course, I am curious: How old is your ds and how long has he been in CAP? How did he get started - does he want to go into military - did he always? I'm thinking your ds must be older to be participating in these types of activities. Thank you!

He is 14, and has been in CAP for just over a year. He would love to go into the military but he is ineligible because he has celiac disease. :( My brother, who is a colonel in the Air Force, recommended CAP as an alternative to JROTC. There are many benefits besides military prep.

Our nearest CAP squadron meets within 10 minutes of our house, so it was no big risk to go look around, and Nate loved it from the start. The arrangement in our squadron is for new people to visit for three meetings and then make up their minds whether they want to join.

He does intend to stay active with CAP through the Billy Mitchell award, and then as an adult. People with celiac disease can participate at the adult level in Civil Air Patrol. He's interested in flying, of course, and in search and rescue.

A 12yo would do everything my son is doing, because it is a matter of passing tests, promoting through the ranks, and being personally motivated, and not a matter of age.

Nate does tend to pass his tests quicker than average.

He is 14, and has been in CAP for just over a year. He would love to go into the military but he is ineligible because he has celiac disease. :( My brother, who is a colonel in the Air Force, recommended CAP as an alternative to JROTC. There are many benefits besides military prep.

Our nearest CAP squadron meets within 10 minutes of our house, so it was no big risk to go look around, and Nate loved it from the start. The arrangement in our squadron is for new people to visit for three meetings and then make up their minds whether they want to join.

He does intend to stay active with CAP through the Billy Mitchell award, and then as an adult. People with celiac disease can participate at the adult level in Civil Air Patrol. He's interested in flying, of course, and in search and rescue.

A 12yo would do everything my son is doing, because it is a matter of passing tests, promoting through the ranks, and being personally motivated, and not a matter of age.

Nate does tend to pass his tests quicker than average.

Wow! That is really impressive to do all this at age 14! What a motivated, hard-working young man he appears to be. Good for him, and you! Thanks for sharing. And I'm sorry he has Celiac's; I'm not sure what that is, but I'm going to google it.

Edited by trailofsparks
closing comment

Guest Dulcimeramy
Wow! That is really impressive to do all this at age 14! What a motivated, hard-working young man he appears to be. Good for him, and you! Thanks for sharing. And I'm sorry he has Celiac's; I'm not sure what that is, but I'm going to google it.

Thank you! :) Celiac disease is an autoimmune digestive disorder. He can't eat wheat, oats, barley, or rye.

It is a royal pain but possible for a civilian to follow this diet, but the military can't handle such an intricate special diet, especially on the field somewhere.

So he tries to focus on what he can do instead of what he can't do. I am proud of him for that! ;)

Thank you! :) Celiac disease is an autoimmune digestive disorder. He can't eat wheat, oats, barley, or rye.

It is a royal pain but possible for a civilian to follow this diet, but the military can't handle such an intricate special diet, especially on the field somewhere.

So he tries to focus on what he can do instead of what he can't do. I am proud of him for that! ;)

Yes, I recognized it when I googled. You ds has the right idea with that kind of attitude. Lots to be proud of :)

:D:D that is so cool

What can you tell me about CAP that I wouldn't know by looking at their website? Activities? Have your dc loved it? dropped out of the program? hated it?

I think he thinks it will take over his life :001_huh: or, though he won't admit it, is shy about trying new things - though new sports has never stopped him. One other concern that I know about is that CAP may try to make him into something he's not (I know, and the military won't?? :lol:).

!

I was in for 20 years, first as a cadet (Spaatz #1307 :D) then as an adult leader. It totally can take over your life if you let it. I really loved it, but it's not for everyone - I knew some kids whose parents would drop them off at the highschool where we met, but they would walk to the nearby mall instead of coming inside, and we had no idea they were supposed to be there (thought they quit months earlier), and their parents had no idea they weren't at the meeting. My point is, it's not really possible or a good idea to force anyone to join.

Your experience will really depend on your local unit. There's a huge range out there, mostly depending on how involved the leaders want to be. Go for a visit and see what he thinks of what they actually do, because it won't likely match what the website says. It can be pretty expensive to get started, with membership fees and a set of uniforms, plus fees for different activities, so it's really not worth it unless dc is truly interested.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My son paid a $35 membership fee for his first year. His uniforms, including shoes and boots, have come from a hand-me-down bag at the squadron commander's house. (I don't know if that is typical for CAP. We have several large families in our squadron and a great community spirit.)

Encampment will be the biggest expense by far at $125, but the boys are doing fundraisers to help.

We are family that can not afford organized sports or taekwondo (or fast food, or going to the movies ever) and we can afford CAP.

I am so glad to see this thread! My son turned 12 in March and is bugging me to join Civil Air Patrol but I am a little hesitant. He loves all things military, loves to volunteer places, and is obsessed with flying. However, he is dyslexic and I worry about the tests that he would have to pass in order to go up in rank. It would absolutely hurt him to the core if he knew everything but messed up on the written exam. Does anyone know what the written tests are like? How long is the test?

Any thoughts? He is very bright and has come a long way with his reading but I need to protect his self-esteem.

Well, maybe the timing isn't right. or something. One of my biggest fears for my children is that they will graduate high school and still be clueless about their path in life: what they want to pursue in college, etc. Seriously, this was me when I graduated and dh, too. We both floundered for a while, then went to college and wasted a lot of precious years. If anything, I am "pressuring" my ds to be open to pursuing interests so that as he gets a bit older, he'll have some direction.

Thanks for listening. :)

My two oldest attended a model rocketry course through CAP a couple years ago. Oldest was (and is) completely uninterested in CAP. Younger ds was bummed that he would have to wait until he was 12.

As soon as he did turn 12 a few months later, I thought he'd be chomping at the bit to go. Nope! I was taken by surprise by his sudden lack of interest.

He did attend a meeting last week though and is now all excited about it. (Unbeknownst to me, there were actually three other kids from our homeschool group there.) He'll be 14 on Friday. I guess he just had to be good and ready. :001_smile:

I was in for 20 years, first as a cadet (Spaatz #1307 :D) then as an adult leader. It totally can take over your life if you let it. I really loved it, but it's not for everyone - I knew some kids whose parents would drop them off at the highschool where we met, but they would walk to the nearby mall instead of coming inside, and we had no idea they were supposed to be there (thought they quit months earlier), and their parents had no idea they weren't at the meeting. My point is, it's not really possible or a good idea to force anyone to join.

Your experience will really depend on your local unit. There's a huge range out there, mostly depending on how involved the leaders want to be. Go for a visit and see what he thinks of what they actually do, because it won't likely match what the website says. It can be pretty expensive to get started, with membership fees and a set of uniforms, plus fees for different activities, so it's really not worth it unless dc is truly interested.

Thank you for saying this. I wouldn't force him, I don't think :tongue_smilie:but duly noted, just in case! Will definitely visit before joining. We have 2 squadrons equally close to our home, so perhaps a better chance of meeting a good fit. Thanks for responding.

My two oldest attended a model rocketry course through CAP a couple years ago. Oldest was (and is) completely uninterested in CAP. Younger ds was bummed that he would have to wait until he was 12.

As soon as he did turn 12 a few months later, I thought he'd be chomping at the bit to go. Nope! I was taken by surprise by his sudden lack of interest.

He did attend a meeting last week though and is now all excited about it. (Unbeknownst to me, there were actually three other kids from our homeschool group there.) He'll be 14 on Friday. I guess he just had to be good and ready. :001_smile:

This is what I'm seeing - the timing definitely isn't now and it might be later. Thank you for posting your experience!

I am so glad to see this thread! My son turned 12 in March and is bugging me to join Civil Air Patrol but I am a little hesitant. He loves all things military, loves to volunteer places, and is obsessed with flying. However, he is dyslexic and I worry about the tests that he would have to pass in order to go up in rank. It would absolutely hurt him to the core if he knew everything but messed up on the written exam. Does anyone know what the written tests are like? How long is the test?

Any thoughts? He is very bright and has come a long way with his reading but I need to protect his self-esteem.

My son joined CAP last summer just before he turned 14yo. It was a good age for him to join. At 12yo, he would have been overwhelmed.

The written tests are online and open book. If you prepare well, especially using post-it notes to mark appropriate sections, it is less stressful to pass.

I find the CAP activities overwhelming at times, but that is probably because my son wants to do everything. He has done nine glider flights already with the local glider squadron. He has completed a bunch of model rocketry. He has earned his Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification. Next weekend he is doing an A Cut radio class.

My son also has medical issues that most likely will keep him from joinng the military. He has severe food allergies. He understands that and currently wants a career in aeronautical engineering.

CAP also has forced him to take more responsibility. He has learned to iron his uniforms and shine his boots. He has to turn in all the forms on time to attend the activities. It has been very beneficial for him.

He does want to go to encampment this summer, but I am concerned about his food allergies. Do any of you know how to handle that issue?

Ds14 just joined a few months ago. The tests are online and open-book, multiple choice, 20 min. time limit. So far, one book section is about 60 pages, but not as much reading as it sounds like due to the layout of the magazines they are in. I don't remember how many questions are on them. 20 minutes has been more than adequate even when looking up half of the answers in the book. (Ds is not an extremely strong reader.) Ds didn't pass the first test the first try. I watched him take it the second time around to see what the problem was. I discovered that the test is very poorly put together. You can't just know the material. You have to go back and find it in the manual to get the exact word they want. Totally off the wall example: Which is an example of a large animal? a. giraffe, b. elephant, c. bull, d. chihuahua. The correct answer is c because the book had a sentence that stated "A bull is a large animal." I am NOT impressed with the tests. Not only do they give multiple correct answers, they ask some really ridiculous questions. (Dh has also joined so that he can go along on the outings. He has also had to take tests.) However, it has been a good experience for ds. He is learning how silly tests can be and how to manage to pass them anyway. (His last test he managed to get 100%. He has learned to realize when there are multiple correct answers he needs to find that sentence in the book.) As he gets further along, he has found that the tests are easier. I think it is because the material is easier to test. More things that can have a concrete, single answer? More good questions possible to ask? Eh, maybe he is just getting used to the procedure.

Guest Dulcimeramy
My son joined CAP last summer just before he turned 14yo. It was a good age for him to join. At 12yo, he would have been overwhelmed.

The written tests are online and open book. If you prepare well, especially using post-it notes to mark appropriate sections, it is less stressful to pass.

I find the CAP activities overwhelming at times, but that is probably because my son wants to do everything. He has done nine glider flights already with the local glider squadron. He has completed a bunch of model rocketry. He has earned his Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification. Next weekend he is doing an A Cut radio class.

My son also has medical issues that most likely will keep him from joining the military. He has severe food allergies. He understands that and currently wants a career in aeronautical engineering.

CAP also has forced him to take more responsibility. He has learned to iron his uniforms and shine his boots. He has to turn in all the forms on time to attend the activities. It has been very beneficial for him.

He does want to go to encampment this summer, but I am concerned about his food allergies. Do any of you know how to handle that issue?

I'm nervous about this!!

I'm going to talk with the people in charge. I know they will accommodate disabilities, but I'm not sure how.

Our squadron commander acted like it wouldn't be a big deal, because he knew they'd handled diabetic diets and mild food allergies, but he has no personal experience with a cadet with celiac disease. The cross-contamination issue makes celiac so persnickety. I want to hear from the camp cooks myself. (I'd feel the same about severe allergies.)

For the Search and Rescue weekend, I just sent non-perishable food* that didn't require cooking. I wouldn't want him to eat that way for a whole week, though. I'd want him to also have fresh fruits and vegetables, milk and cheese.

If all else fails, I will drive down there with a freshly filled and iced cooler every other day. I think if I package each meal in a gladware-type container that can be thrown away, it shouldn't make any work for anyone, and, more importantly, his food won't be contaminated by someone who has handled gluten.

*(The type of GF non-perishables I sent were Dinty Moore beef stew, Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup, Del Monte little pull-top canned peaches and mandarin oranges, packets of Starkist tuna, Spam, canned green beans, canned baked beans, KIND bars and two Lara Bars, peanut butter, small cartons of almond milk, raisins...)

I'm nervous about this!!

I'm going to talk with the people in charge. I know they will accommodate disabilities, but I'm not sure how.

Our squadron commander acted like it wouldn't be a big deal, because he knew they'd handled diabetic diets and mild food allergies, but he has no personal experience with a cadet with celiac disease. The cross-contamination issue makes celiac so persnickety. I want to hear from the camp cooks myself. (I'd feel the same about severe allergies.)

For the Search and Rescue weekend, I just sent non-perishable food* that didn't require cooking. I wouldn't want him to eat that way for a whole week, though. I'd want him to also have fresh fruits and vegetables, milk and cheese.

If all else fails, I will drive down there with a freshly filled and iced cooler every other day. I think if I package each meal in a gladware-type container that can be thrown away, it shouldn't make any work for anyone, and, more importantly, his food won't be contaminated by someone who has handled gluten.

*(The type of GF non-perishables I sent were Dinty Moore beef stew, Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup, Del Monte little pull-top canned peaches and mandarin oranges, packets of Starkist tuna, Spam, canned green beans, canned baked beans, KIND bars and two Lara Bars, peanut butter, small cartons of almond milk, raisins...)

My son has gone to Boy Scout camp for a week. He ended up not eating too much even though they said they could accommodate his allergies. I definitely want to talk to someone in charge.

The problem is magnified by the fact that he takes ADD medicine which causes him to lose his appetite. If the food is difficult to manage, he'll just choose not to eat. That won't combine well with intense physical activity.

Its nice to hear that some other moms are involved. The senior members of my son's squadron expect the cadets to manage all communications. I'm all for teaching responsibility, but in this situation I feel like I need to step in and get some extra information.

Guest Dulcimeramy
My son has gone to Boy Scout camp for a week. He ended up not eating too much even though they said they could accommodate his allergies. I definitely want to talk to someone in charge.

The problem is magnified by the fact that he takes ADD medicine which causes him to lose his appetite. If the food is difficult to manage, he'll just choose not to eat. That won't combine well with intense physical activity.

Its nice to hear that some other moms are involved. The senior members of my son's squadron expect the cadets to manage all communications. I'm all for teaching responsibility, but in this situation I feel like I need to step in and get some extra information.

I hear ya. I feel like I am stepping on some toes by making myself sure that my son will be safe. I'm pretty used to being in charge of his food! They'll just have to deal with me. They are free to call me a Mother Hen (behind my back). LOL

My son won't refuse to eat, but if he gets "glutened" he gets very disoriented and emotional. He might not even be able to assess or communicate what is wrong with him until the severe physical reaction starts....ugh.

I know we can't expect others to understand that special diets are complicated but very, very important. It is about more than 'just' the dangerous physical reactions for these boys.