Menu

Ornithology?

Chris in VA

In the dark ages when I frequented college campuses science departments, those specializing in this were housed in the biology department so I would assume you have identified the right major. The folks at the Cornell Bird Bio lab (and the instructor for their course) are accessible by email so maybe you would want to contact them with this question too.

Cornell is not the only place where you can specialize in ornithology. The last three universities I was at all had a number of people working in this area, even though there was no ornithology dept or program. (And 3 other universities that my sister has been at also have people specializing in this area.)

You probably don't want to be looking for an ornithology program, per se, in college descriptions. Colleges that have strong natural history programs will likely have someone in this area. Get a list of faculty and what their research interests are. That will tell you whether it's a likely school.

One place I was at had a Natural History Survey in addition to a biology dept. Many of the ornithologists had joint appointments in both depts.

One could major in a number of areas: biology, ecology, conservation biology. It mostly depends on what your particular college has named it. There are also people who graduate with things like math degrees who then go into grad school in biology. It would be helpful, in that case, to have the basic bio and chem courses, but I've known of people who had no biology whatsoever who did a PhD in biology and became, well, fairly successful - if you can count writing textbooks and putting out lots of papers and having everyone in the field know who you are.

Edited by emubird