Menu

Mommy fail! Discovered the Cause of their Math Difficulties!

Paige

I feel really stupid that it took me so long to figure this out. My girls were struggling so much during their last math unit. It was brutal. They were upset, I was upset, I had DS tutoring them and trying to come up with ideas since I was out of ideas. Finally, after weeks of being stuck on the same few pages, I realized the problem. I was giving them work from my 3rd graders math instead of their own 1st grade work!! :001_huh: Oops. My poor kids! Math is easy for me and I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't understand it, so the leap between the 1st grade chapter and the 3rd grade chapter did not seem very big or surprising to me. It seemed like a little bit of a leap, but not so different from what we had been doing that I thought it was strange. Clearly, to my kids, it was a huge leap!

I only discovered what had happened when I went to print out the next section for them after deciding to give up on the previous section for a while. I noticed that this stuff was much easier and not at all what we had been working on for weeks! :blushing:

This is the sort of thing they'll laugh about at Thanksgiving when they grow up. "Yeah, do you remember that time mom gave us THIRD GRADE math, and didn't realize it? We were in FIRST!" :lol:

I know you feel bad now, but hey, it's a great lesson in how everyone makes mistakes. Just apologize and when you get there again in two years, point out how much easier it is this time. It won't ruin them for life.

But I would be really embarrassed too!

I, too, am sorry it's been a rough couple of weeks, but I'm :lol:.

If it's any consolation, when I gave my ds10 the right/left lesson in Saxon 1 way back when, I taught him right and left incorrectly :blushing:. It took me several days to figure out why he kept getting it wrong. The most unfortunate part is that he's my naturally directionally challenged boy (which he gets from me, obviously) :001_huh:.

I feel really stupid that it took me so long to figure this out. My girls were struggling so much during their last math unit. It was brutal. They were upset, I was upset, I had DS tutoring them and trying to come up with ideas since I was out of ideas. Finally, after weeks of being stuck on the same few pages, I realized the problem. I was giving them work from my 3rd graders math instead of their own 1st grade work!! :001_huh: Oops. My poor kids! Math is easy for me and I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't understand it, so the leap between the 1st grade chapter and the 3rd grade chapter did not seem very big or surprising to me. It seemed like a little bit of a leap, but not so different from what we had been doing that I thought it was strange. Clearly, to my kids, it was a huge leap!

I only discovered what had happened when I went to print out the next section for them after deciding to give up on the previous section for a while. I noticed that this stuff was much easier and not at all what we had been working on for weeks! :blushing:

Sorry, I have to :lol::lol::lol:! Only because I have done this same thing! I gave my 3rd grader my 4th grader's math for a few days (and he's working in the 5th grade level!) and couldn't figure out why all of a sudden she couldn't do **anything!** Once I figured it out I felt really bad! The good side was she was perfectly happy to do her own 3rd grade work after that! No complaints! :001_smile:

Hey, don't feel too bad. I had a college professor who did that to me once! He came in and started scribbling stuff on the chalkboard that was completely foreign to all of us - might as well have been another language. We all sat there wide-eyed and slack-jawed wondered what the heck he was talking about. He started getting frustrated with us for not following him, and yelled, "you should all know this by now, this is easy stuff for Calculus 4 students!" One guy, on behalf of us all, raised his hand and said "um, sir, this is Calculus 2". :lol:

I accidently handed my DS the 9th CLE light unit when he was only on the 3rd. He didn't do too bad but was fussing about not being taught how to do something in the practice. He did three lessons in that light unit before I realized that something really off when I taught him the lessons. Blank looks from him. :001_huh: (I didn't use the teacher manual, which may have allowed me to catch it earlier.) Now he's in that light unit and is doing just fine. :D

I'm glad my kids have a good sense of humor. There will be more of this in the future. :glare: