Menu

Ten Books

DragonFaerie

Okay, so we're doing Middle Ages for history next year (400 AD - 1500 AD, 3rd/4th grades) and I want to coordinate our literature read alouds to go along with it. I have a list of DOZENS of books! There is no way I can read all of them and I have no idea how to narrow it down. So, I need the help of the Hive Mind. Will ya'll please give me your top ten must-reads for medieval history-based literature? :bigear: Thank you!!!!

Do you mean specific books or topics? Do you want novels or picture books or both?

Sorry, I mean novels, mostly. No picture books. I'd like to have a book to coincide with the different time periods of our history study if possible. At the risk of a huge post, here is the list I have compiled that I'm trying to whittle down.

Favorite Medieval Tales, by Mary Pope Osborne

His Majesty’s Elephant, by Judith Tarr (about Charlemagne’s daughter)

Tales of the Kitchen Table, by Jon Scieszka

The Sailor Who Captured the Sea: A Story of the Book of Kells, by Deborah Nourse Lattimore

Aladdin and Other Tales From the Arabian Nights (Puffin Classics)- Amazon

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves by Walter (One of the tales from A Thousand and One Arabian Nights)

Odin’s Family: Myths of the Vikings by Neil Philip

Ivanhoe by Marianne Mayer

Pendragon series

Stories of Robin Hood (Told to the Children)- Amazon

Sir Gewain and the Green Knight by Tolkein

If You Lived in the Days of the Knights by Ann McGovern

Stories of Beuwulf (Told to the Children)- Amazon

Tales of King Arthur (Usborne Classics Retold)- Amazon

The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli- Amazon

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman- Amazon

Viking Tales (Yesterday’s Classics)- Amazon

A Grain of Rice - Pittman SLC (Ancient China)

The Apple and the Arrow - Buff SLC (Wiliam Tell)

The Usborne Time Traveler (Medieval & Viking sections) SL1

The Viking Adventure - Bulla SL2

Eric the Red & Leif the Lucky - Schiller SL2 (Vikings)

Marco Polo - Graves SL3-5 (middle ages)

A Door in the Wall - De Angelli SL2 (Plague)

The Sword in the Tree - Bulla SL2 (Middle Ages - King Arthur)

The Minstrel in the Tower - Skurzinsky SL1 (Middle Ages)

Castle Diary - Platt SL2

Michaelangelo - Stanley SL2

Good Queen Bess - Stanley SL2

The Explorer's News - Johnstone SL2

Tales of Robin Hood - Allan SL2

Incas, Aztecs & Mayans - Holzmann SL3

The Secret of the Andes - Clark SL3 (Incas)

The Corn Grows Ripe - Rhoads SL3 (Mayas)

Walk the World's Rim - Baker SL3 (16th cent Cabeza de Vaca)

North American Indians - Gorsline SL3

Pedro's Journal - Conrad SL3 (Columbus)

The Story of the USA Book 1: Explorers and Settlers - Escher SL3

Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest - McGovern SL1

Fine Print: A Story About Johann Gutenberg - Burch SL2

Joan of Arc - Stanley SL2

Mistrel in the Tower

Beorn the Proud

Minstrel in the Tower

Marguerite Makes a Book

St George and the Dragon

The Sword in the Tree

Sir Small and the Dragonfly

Knights by Daly

Leif the Lucky

Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess by Richard Platt

Hidden Treasure of Glaston

Favorite Celtic Fairytales

Edited by DragonFaerie

Favorites:

Robin Hood

King Arthur

Arabian Nights

Hobbit (not exactly middle ages :))

Adam of the Road

Beowulf

Books from your list that didn't go over well:

Pedro's Journal

Ivanhoe - hoping for a better response from my son when he is older :)

-- about half your list are books that could be read in a day or two - so you could likely get through the whole list if you wanted to

--My kids read Castle Diary, Battle for the Castle? and sequel and Knight's Castle (Eager) and enjoyed them all - but I've never read them myself.

I would eliminate these. They aren't what I considered novels when we read them.

The Explorer's News - Johnstone SL2 (good for what it is; not a novel)

Sir Small and the Dragonfly (reader; only topical because there is a knight character)

I would include these (we have read these and enjoyed them)

Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess by Richard Platt (enjoyable description of daily life for a young boy in a castle)

Castle Diary - Platt SL2 (in your list twice)

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman- Amazon (short story; interesting plot)

Eric the Red & Leif the Lucky - Schiller SL2 (Vikings)

The Viking Adventure - Bulla SL2

Pedro's Journal - Conrad SL3 (Columbus)

I'm going to jump on with a plug for a well-illustrated version of Beowulf. But I also love, love, love the Robert Nye version.

The Door in the Wall was good.

St George and The Dragon and The Kitchen Knight are two of my favorites, and would be read-alone for third and fourth grade.

I really like Tolkien's Sir Gawain and The Green Knight.

Look around for good selections in Norse Mythology-there are a bundle of them out there.

If you can find it-try to get Welsh Tales with the story "Six and Four is Ten". It's likely out of print and I've had to get it on library loan before--but that story is worth the wait!

Thanks! This helps because I am not familiar with many of these books. I am definitely looking for books to read and study allowing 2-3 weeks per book (therefore not the ones that are little one or two day reads). The kids will be in 3rd and 4th grades but since I'll be reading aloud to them, harder books are fine. So far I'm planning on The Door in the Wall and The Whipping Boy for sure (I think) but I'd like to have a good ten or twelve total.

I would include these (we have read these and enjoyed them)

Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess by Richard Platt (enjoyable description of daily life for a young boy in a castle)

:iagree: This is a GREAT book, with wonderful illustrations.

We are just wrapping up Middle Ages/Reformation/Renaissance and here are the books that have been the biggest "hits" for my 9 and 7 yo sons (and for me, too!):

- Castle Diary

- The Sword in the Tree

- The Whipping Boy

- Otto of the Silver Hand

- Spy for the Night Riders

- Marco Polo

- Who was William Shakespeare? (great series of biograhies!)

Sorry there aren't ten, but these are the first that came to mind.

HTH!

We have this book - it's beautiful and divides the myths into the Irish literature cycles, such as the Ulster cycle (I think!). Large hardback, nicely illustrated.

Names Upon the Harp: Irish Myths and Legends

http://www.amazon.com/Names-Upon-Harp-Irish-Legends/dp/0590680528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302738557&sr=1-1

I thought about having my son outline the book, having each cycle as the main topic, then stories as sub-topics, and finally story details below that. Just would lend itself well to that.

We have this book - it's beautiful and divides the myths into the Irish literature cycles, such as the Ulster cycle (I think!). Large hardback, nicely illustrated.

Names Upon the Harp: Irish Myths and Legends

http://www.amazon.com/Names-Upon-Harp-Irish-Legends/dp/0590680528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302738557&sr=1-1

I thought about having my son outline the book, having each cycle as the main topic, then stories as sub-topics, and finally story details below that. Just would lend itself well to that.

Thank you! That does look beautiful.

If you are interested in adding some Maya literature, I would find some adaptations of the Popol Vuh. It might be interesting to study heroes from Mayan culture and compare them to the heroes of the Ulster Cycle.

Are you planning on seeing a play by Shakespeare toward the end of the year? You should probably plan on reading an adaptation of whatever play you choose.

If you are interested in adding some Maya literature, I would find some adaptations of the Popol Vuh. It might be interesting to study heroes from Mayan culture and compare them to the heroes of the Ulster Cycle.

Are you planning on seeing a play by Shakespeare toward the end of the year? You should probably plan on reading an adaptation of whatever play you choose.

We did three adaptations from the Shakespeare Can Be Fun series this year and the kids loved them. So, we're doing four more next year. I don't know that I'll take them to see a play yet. They're still pretty young for that, I think.

We did three adaptations from the Shakespeare Can Be Fun series this year and the kids loved them. So, we're doing four more next year. I don't know that I'll take them to see a play yet. They're still pretty young for that, I think.

You might be able to find a high school production or something that is shorter and might appeal to them more. Or at least is inexpensive if it's a bust!