Menu

CLE LA vs. Abeka English?

I'm new here, mostly reading the great advice.

I've been researching on and on because I need to go a different route next year than I've been on. We've been using mostly SL LA which is not working and we just started IEW but I need some good, sequential, solid Grammar and Spelling that's as independent as possible for my 4th and 6th graders (and something my 1st and PreK'er can slide into in the next few years).

A decent Grammar program with diagramming and Spelling that includes rules and root studies, preferably in a workbook format is what I'm looking for.

I've narrowed it down to CLE and Abeka, BJU's layout just didn't appeal to me even though we use their Math, but I could be swayed!

Abeka seems so nice and linear, almost self explanatory, thorough and I like the workbooks and graphics, plus Spelling and Grammar are both available and it moves into Vocab. later. Is Abeka's LA flakey though? (My K'er is using their Phonics wkbk and it's been great which what led me to check Abeka out further)

CLE seems like a great Grammar program, very independent but then I have to find something else for Spelling since I don't think their approach is deep enough and I don't see that they have an accompanying vocab. study.

Does anyone have any thoughts for me? This is driving me mad, I need to make a decision!

I have used ABEKA in the past and liked it. I didn't like their Spelling though. I'm going to try to do CLE this year because of some of the reviews. It sounds like a good, solid, thorough program without overkill like ABEKA. I think I'm going to try their spelling but if I don't like it I'm going back to "All About Spelling" which is what I used when my kids did ABEKA. I'm very interested in what people say and will be following this thread. I will say though that the kids that did ABEKA have done well when they went on to PS and then to college.

Just my 2 cents - I have loved the combo we used of Megawords for spelling and Rod and Staff for grammar for my ds in both 4th and 5th grades. Both are very thorough programs seem to fit what you are looking for - though they are separate.

Not to complicate things - but it sounds like you may not be sold on either CLE or Abeka..

I've used Abeka LA and CLE LA.

I like Abeka's grammar if you have a child that understands grammar and picks it up quickly. I have not used their spelling so I can't comment on that one.

Their grammar though really didn't stick with my girls. I think it was more them than the program.

I like CLE's grammar and plan on using it again this year when my girls return home. I used it previously with my oldest and it was like Saxon for Grammar. She seemed to need this to understand grammar. It gives them plenty of practice and is very thorough. I did use the spelling but added to it since she had to start with their 300 level ( that is where the grammar really gets going). My oldest isnt the best speller in the world so the level she was working at was fine for her. But if you have a good speller you could always supplement with Abeka's spelling and vocab and skip the spelling in the grammar. Its possible to do and you won't detract from the program. Or use something like All About Spelling or whatever.

They are both good programs. I will admit Abeka's grammar does include more writing practice than CLEs Grammar. Which again isn't a big deal if your supplementing with some other writing program. I used IEW at the time so it didn't matter. I just wanted CLEs grammar.

Just my 2 cents - I have loved the combo we used of Megawords for spelling and Rod and Staff for grammar for my ds in both 4th and 5th grades. Both are very thorough programs seem to fit what you are looking for - though they are separate.

Not to complicate things - but it sounds like you may not be sold on either CLE or Abeka..

No I'm not sold on either CLE or Abeka! I wish I were then I'd just buy it and get it over with :D

I forgot to mention that we're doing R&S 3 this year. It's ok, I'm hoping for something a little more independent (maybe I'm hoping for too much?). I'll check out Megawords, thanks for the suggestion!

I have used ABEKA in the past and liked it. I didn't like their Spelling though. I'm going to try to do CLE this year because of some of the reviews. It sounds like a good, solid, thorough program without overkill like ABEKA. I think I'm going to try their spelling but if I don't like it I'm going back to "All About Spelling" which is what I used when my kids did ABEKA. I'm very interested in what people say and will be following this thread. I will say though that the kids that did ABEKA have done well when they went on to PS and then to college.

Are you saying that you feel Abeka's Spelling and Grammar are both overkill? Can you say what you didn't like about the Spelling? Too many words?

AAS sounds like it would be too much on my end to get done these days so I'm hoping for something more independent.

Thanks for your comments!

I've used Abeka LA and CLE LA.

I like Abeka's grammar if you have a child that understands grammar and picks it up quickly. I have not used their spelling so I can't comment on that one.

I don't know if I do or not! I guess I'll find out this year.

Their grammar though really didn't stick with my girls. I think it was more them than the program.

I like CLE's grammar and plan on using it again this year when my girls return home. I used it previously with my oldest and it was like Saxon for Grammar. She seemed to need this to understand grammar. It gives them plenty of practice and is very thorough. I did use the spelling but added to it since she had to start with their 300 level ( that is where the grammar really gets going). My oldest isnt the best speller in the world so the level she was working at was fine for her. But if you have a good speller you could always supplement with Abeka's spelling and vocab and skip the spelling in the grammar. Its possible to do and you won't detract from the program. Or use something like All About Spelling or whatever.

Does CLE Spelling include rules or roots or is it just a list of words?

They are both good programs. I will admit Abeka's grammar does include more writing practice than CLEs Grammar. Which again isn't a big deal if your supplementing with some other writing program. I used IEW at the time so it didn't matter. I just wanted CLEs grammar.

This is where I'm at, currently using IEW so writing isn't a huge issue. I do like seeing all those writing topics laid out in a workbook though - it feels like security :D

Thanks, I appreciate your perspective of having used both.

CLE goes into vocab in their reading program rather than the LA books.

I'm not certain about the spelling. My DS gets all the words correct on the test but then will forget the next week. So I don't know if it's CLE or just him. ;) I'll continue to use CLE LA next year and figure something out with the spelling either by supplement or changing the way we study the words. In 2nd grade the spelling is rule based with some extra words thrown in such as a day of the week or a month. For DD in 500, it is just a list of words sometimes around a certain subject or just words that can be tricky to spell.

I haven't used Abeka, so I can't compare.

Edited by jannylynn

Some of my kids older kids used ABEKA in private school and when I brought them home to HS that's what I used and was comfortable with. We never had a problem with the grammar. I liked it. I have just read reviews where people said it was overkill which made me believe there were other programs out there that could do the same job without so many problems.That's why I'm giving CLE a try this next year.All the reviews talk about it being a thorough program without overkill. I want a program that is laid out for me while also being fairly independant. I need to know I'm covering everything :001_smile:.

As far as spelling goes, it's just kind of blah. For years I used ACSI spelling and then I saw A Reason for Spelling and liked how with each word list it gave different ways to learn the words that looked more fun for my kids. I think it's more multisensory than some others.

BTW, next year I will be HSing a 5th grader as well as K, 1st & Pre-school. I HSed my 4 older kids at different times which is where I used ABEKA. We did PS for a few years because I needed to take a break and am pulling them out of PS next year. I HS my 5th grader in K & 1st. Just to give you a little background.

Edited by Mom28kds