Menu

Want to rave about a book on grammar for early years

I just got The Sentence Family - which takes a drawing approach to teaching grammar. It introduces the 4 kids of sentences and the parts of speech as a family - each person having unique qualities to that specific point of grammar. It is really quite well done, if anyone is looking for a fun way to introduce the parts of speech and beginning diagramming.

The Sentence Family curriculum

Okay, tell me more. Is this a 'curriculum' with lesson plans or is it a book that you can just read and enjoy with your kids? We currently read Ruth Heller's books and the other LA themed kids books that deal with parts of speech.

Thanks for sharing about this, I can't wait to hear more...

Okay - I will try to explain (this is why I finally broke down and bought it, and am so glad I did :) )

It is one book. It is not really "lesson plans" in the way you would think of it Jessica, it is more of a guide. By that I mean it does not schedule out - do this on day one, do this on day two etc. It gives an overview of the method (several pages of how to use the guide) - which is basically, introduce a story (provided in the guide) and draw a picture with it (very basic stick figure drawing, but lots of color). The types of sentences are 4 different family members which you introduce through short stories. Each family member resembles the type of sentence (for example, Mrs. Interrogative is an old woman bent over with a cane in the shape of a question mark and she asks questions all the time). The kids learn the personalities of each of the characters, and there are some ideas for games to play with sentences. Then there is a story to introduce each kid - the parts of speech. An example would be - the first two kids are twin boys - verb and noun - there is a picture of each child and a description - "Verb" is a very active child who always wears red and can never keep his cap on. "Noun" is a very observant child who spends his time observing and naming all of the things around him. Each character is linked to a color, and certain qualities which instinctively make you think of the part of speech they represent. Finally, at the end, the guide explains how to introduce basic diagramming, using a brilliant concept (in my mind) of "putting all the words to bed" and links the parts of a diagrammed sentence to the kids (verb and noun sleep in beds that share a headboard - diagram the noun and verb side by side etc) .

We have been using the Ruth Heller books with my son, and I really enjoy them, but this to me is a better first introduction. My plan is to use this with my dd next year to give her a good grasp of the different parts of speech, then move on to the Heller books (since they go into more detail in types of verbs etc.).

So, it is not just a book to read - but it gives all of the stories and ideas you would need to present each part of speech, then ways to proceed into diagramming in a more concrete way - good for those grammar stage kids :) I envision it being something we could do once a week, and you could spend small amounts of time on it, with the kids doing illustrations as reinforcement. I like it because I am finding that my kids respond really well to the waldorf approach to some subjects. While I do not embrace Waldorf philosophies, I find that the use of drawing in areas such as grammar and math improves their attention, retention, and interest. This book gives that element of drawing which appeals to me, and is completely secular in it's approach so it is usuable by anyone.

Hope that helps!

I just got The Sentence Family - which takes a drawing approach to teaching grammar. It introduces the 4 kids of sentences and the parts of speech as a family - each person having unique qualities to that specific point of grammar. It is really quite well done, if anyone is looking for a fun way to introduce the parts of speech and beginning diagramming.

My kids would love that! It looks like something fun to add in to our LA time. Thanks for the info!

I think the author mentions it was developed for a 4th grade class - but I plan to use it with my 2nd grade dd this fall. The concepts are a basic intro to grammar, so it could be an intro to grammar or a review if you had a child struggling. I think that it would be a fine introduction to grammar at any age - even older ones who are struggling might get into it if they are visual learners or like drawing.

Did you order it online from the site you gave? I tried that a couple of months ago and just recently got a refund through paypal. I never got the book. I thought maybe they didn't sell it anymore. It said that there was no paypal account for that address.

Did you phone your order in?

Did you order it online from the site you gave? I tried that a couple of months ago and just recently got a refund through paypal. I never got the book. I thought maybe they didn't sell it anymore. It said that there was no paypal account for that address.

Did you phone your order in?

Bumping. I'd love to know where to order this. This is so up my kids' alley!

• 3 weeks later...

St. Theophan Academy,

I'd like to thank you for suggesting The Sentence Family. Based on your review, I recommended it to a friend who has a son with learning issues. She ordered it, received it within the week, and is seeing it as a tool that will really serve her son's needs.

Thanks!

Regards,

Kareni

WOW! The author of some of the materials from that site must have studied Waldorf art & main lesson presentation through story. I love that grammar book, and have it on my short list for my 10 yo ds. The Creation art lessons are exactly how wet-on-wet painting is done in Waldorf art classes. I hoep the OP does not mind, but I referred several Waldorf hs'ing Yahoo groups to that site.

What are the Ruth Heller books?

Ruth Heller wrote a series of books about parts of speech; they are the World of Language series. Here are the titles:

A Cache of Jewels and Other Collective Nouns (1987)

Kites Sail High: A Book About Verbs (1988)

Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives (1989)

Merry-Go- Round: A Book About Nouns (1990)

Up, Up and Away: A Book About Adverbs (1991)

Behind the Mask: A Book About Prepositions (1995)

Mine, All Mine: A Book about Pronouns (1997)

Fantastic! Wow! And Unreal! A Book about Interjections and Conjunctions (1998)

They are a great series and VERY brightly colored. Here is a link to one of them: http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Wow-Unreal-Interjections-Conjunctions/dp/0698118758/ref=pd_sim_b_title_5

Regards,

Kareni

WOW! The author of some of the materials from that site must have studied Waldorf art & main lesson presentation through story. ...

My thought was exactly the same; my teen was at a Waldorf inspired charter school in 6th grade and the style is very reminiscent of what she saw there.

Regards,

Kareni

I did my order online - I ordered it sometime in March, had no problems getting it, it came very quickly. In fact, I ordered a huge order from them, and got it within a week I think. But it is also available from Paidea classics. They were closed for a while, but are back up and running, and they list it on their site too. Those are the only two places I am aware of.