Menu

Saxon 87 to Algebra 1 ??

I have a Saxon 87 2nd edition left over from years ago when we did Saxon. For a variety of reasons we never did the 87 book. I pulled it down and spent some time looking through it and I think it will be a good fit for my current 7th grader.

I'm not sure what Algebra 1 he will use at this point. But, would the Saxon 87 book be enough "pre-algebra" to prepare for most Algebra 1 books?

Thanks!

I have a Saxon 87 2nd edition left over from years ago when we did Saxon. ?

Thanks!

As long as it is second edition you will be fine. The third edition added the following:

the phrase "with pre-algebra to the cover

they renamed the problems "some and some more and some went away" to "combining and seperating"

they added 3 pages called "topic A" they are base 2 and roman numerals

final exam was dropped from the third edition

step by step solutions manual was added

You can use the solutions manual from the third edtion for the second edition text. The problems are identical..

You CAN NOT use a first edtion 8/7 then go directly to alg 1, you must go to alg 1/2.

With second or third edition you can go directly to alg 1 if the student does well with 8/7. Art reed suggests they must get an 80% or better on the last 5 tests of the book, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps, Sandra

I would strongly encourage you to call the gentleman that wrote the book Using John Saxon's Math Books. His name is Art Reed. The website is homeschoolwithsaxon.com

He knows the ins and outs of these books. He taught using these books for twenty years I think it was. Anyway, it's free to call. Usually I leave a message and he calls back within the hour. We bought his dvd's to help our struggling daughter and now she gets A's on all of her tests and doesn't like to miss a day of math. She actually enjoys algebra now where as last year we had tears almost daily and failing scores.

Okay, I know you only asked about what edition to use. Sorry for the ramble but he will be able to tell you for sure which edition you need or if you use the one you have then what to go to next.

okay, I'm done.

thanks for reading. :-)

If I'm remembering the discussions correctly, it was the hardback editions that were out of date. If you have a trade-paper back 8/7, it is current to jump to Algebra 1.

I might be wrong about the editions.

I know that there was a big change, and I thought it was between the last and the second to last editions, but perhaps there is another edition that is even more recent than when dd did 87 two years ago.