Menu

Math U See

Ohio12

I know this is well covered territory, but if anyone cares to weigh in..I would really appreciate it.

I have finally decided to spend the big bucks and get Math U See for dd. She is doing half K - half first grade next year.

Has anyone been really glad they went ahead and bought Primer instead of skipping to Alpha? I would then also have it for dd 3 when she is ready.

Do I understand correctly that once I buy the main and supplementary manipulatives packages, I wouldn't need to buy manipulatives again?

Any other MUS tips?

I *think* you're buying the same manipulatives whether you do primer or alpha. If your younger does primer later, you're still going to need to buy the consumable student book - so I don't think doing primer with your older saves you anything down the road (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I have had an older K-er this year (he turned 6 in Dec) and he has done fine with Alpha. You could just take it slow, or even start out copying the workbook pages in case dd needs to repeat any. Or I think you can generate extra worksheets on the MUS website.

I got primer as "K" for a young K'er. I am glad I did. It gave him time to memorize the block colors rather than have to learn them fast in Alpha. We didn't have to ramp up in that.

Primer is appropriate for 4/5 and in our case worked well. I don't regret doing it.

However, if you have a true 1st grader, age 6 then I think it would be fine to skip.

Primer is a good intro to math that will be covered in Alpha for kids who aren't ready for it yet. (again, I used it with ages 4 & 5)

The only way buying the primer now would save you money is that you wouldn't need to buy the teacher manual/DVD again. You would have to buy the workbook though. I don't think you would need to buy a teachers manual for the primer anyway if you were trying to keep a budget.

I just purchased the primer for my son. He is 5 and will be 6 in March 09. From what I gather the primer does not require mastery. It is basically a gentle intro to math, no tests. I don't think you would be missing any skills by skipping primer. It just depends on how much time you want to spend on number recognition, place value and single digit addition. I went back and forth on which to start him on but after receiving the books I am glad I am going with the primer for him. He is just a laid back kind of pokey kid. Takes his time. He could use the extra practice.

We have both the sets of blocks (and the nifty boxes they go in) I have yet to use the larger pieces (100's). I heard somewhere that you need both boxes if you are going to build the clock thing in the primer and alpha books. My older started in Gamma and is now in Delta and we have used the extra pieces some but she has moved away from the block manipulatives now. You could most likely get away without the extra set for now.

The Primer is fine if you like to have something "formal" for math time with your younger dc. I used it with my 2nd ds because he wanted to do school, but was not ready for Alpha yet. It's totally unnecessary, though. Your dc could probably learn just as much by playing with the blocks in an informal setting. (And then you still wouldn't have to buy the blocks next year :))

Kelsy

I know this is well covered territory, but if anyone cares to weigh in..I would really appreciate it.

I have finally decided to spend the big bucks and get Math U See for dd. She is doing half K - half first grade next year.

Has anyone been really glad they went ahead and bought Primer instead of skipping to Alpha? I would then also have it for dd 3 when she is ready.

Do I understand correctly that once I buy the main and supplementary manipulatives packages, I wouldn't need to buy manipulatives again?

Any other MUS tips?

You said you already made your decision so my comment is moot. but my own opinion is that one should spend little to zero cash on any math before 3rd grade. All they really need to learn is their math facts with some other stuff. So I have no prob with MUS except the price. :001_smile:

So cancel the order, grab the cash, and plan a big pizza party for your entire block. :grouphug::grouphug: just kidding!!!

how much was it (if I may ask)?

You said you already made your decision so my comment is moot. but my own opinion is that one should spend little to zero cash on any math before 3rd grade. All they really need to learn is their math facts with some other stuff. So I have no prob with MUS except the price. :001_smile:

So cancel the order, grab the cash, and plan a big pizza party for your entire block. :grouphug::grouphug: just kidding!!!

how much was it (if I may ask)?

I am a former English teacher and love English and history and am very confident in teaching them. Math, not so much. Also, dd does not seem to have a good sense of logic. She has a hard time with the fact that the number "2" is representative of say two bunnies. Nothing comes easy for her in this regard. She really had to memorize the numbers to count to 40. Unlike many of her peers who realize that the squences repeat themselves. (22 will follow 21 as 32 follows 31 and 2 follows 1) So I wanted to get her something that she will be able to "see." I guess I have not decided 100%. I was raised on Abeka and I can do that for $15! MUS for both block sets and the books and CD is around $130. The blocks could be used for a few years and for my other dd.

We are doing Primer - you odn't need both block sets right now. I have one....

My DD doing it - my 8 yo - is very special needs in the math area. It's been a PERFECT fit for her, no pressure - and she can now count past 20. She didn't "get" the number repeat either. You hold up your hand and ask her how many fingers - she has to count them EVERY.TIME.

A few months ago she finally started saying FIVE. YAHOOO!!!!

Anyway, if it's easy, go fast thru it. I have the younger one in the wings to do it, i'm holding her back so she won't pass up her sister.

I also will throw out - there is more in the Abeka Curric Guides/Plans than is in the workbooks. Personally, we would have been missing a lot not having them. But that is a personal choice too. But all the mental math portion is in there and some other stuff. I haven't used Abeka for a few years though, so don't make me say it all! LOL!!!

I don't feel bad if we have to do Primer slow - and I wouldnt' on Alpha either. We may start Alpha when i get it in a few weeks, or we may wait.... i'll have to see how "overwhelming" it will be to her. Slow is good!

Guest Shanna

Does your daughter know all her numbers and know how to write them all? If so then skip Primer if not then I would do it. After you have bought a set and you have another child come up and ready for it the only thing you need to buy is a new student book which is $15?? We love MUS and have used it for years!!!

Does your daughter know all her numbers and know how to write them all? If so then skip Primer if not then I would do it. After you have bought a set and you have another child come up and ready for it the only thing you need to buy is a new student book which is $15?? We love MUS and have used it for years!!!

Thank you for this reply. I need practical specifics like that. She can write her numbers and count to 50 by herself, 100 with a few helps.

Guest Shanna

I was just thinking. Another thing I would make sure she can do is skip count by 2, 5 and 10. Once she can do that I would just go with Alpha. So why not just teach her how to skip count 2 - 20, 5 - 50, and 10 - 100 over a couple of weeks and then go with Alpha.

As for how to teach skip counting. I take index cards and write them on there. I then use them to teach one set. I then make them put them in order and they continue to do that until they can do it without any help at all. I then teach the next set and so on. Then I will hand them a set and not tell them which one it is and they have to figure it all out by themselves. Once they can do that for each set I then hand them all the cards and have them do them all with out any help. Once they can do that you know they know them.

I think you can start with Alpha. It's very basic and clear. You can go at her pace, so if it's challenging, spend more time, if it's easy, spend less. Make the curriculum work for you, don't be tied to the schedule you think you ought to keep.

I just picked up the stuff I think I'll need to start dd1 with Alpha in fall, and the total (would have been if it had all been new) = $85. I researched the website, talked to a rep at our Convention bookfair, and came away with just the DVD/Teacher's Guide, the Student book/tests, and the basic set of manipulatives. They say you need more blocks for the clock in Alpha if you want to make it pretty, but it's possible to make do with only the blocks in the basic set. As I was contemplating Saxon 1 at about $93 as my alternative, I thought MUS was sort of cheap.

Of course, we haven't actually used it yet . . .;)

HTH!

Mama Anna

I liked that my dd5 at the time could work in a short period of time and feel she had accomplished a great feet. She memorized the blocks before getting to Alpha which has made Alpha a breeze thus far. Of course, it isn't necessary, but like I said, if money isn't an issue, go for it.

When you say "both" blocksets- do you mean the basic set and the completer? If so, you really don't need the completer set. We have completed mus through epsilon and not once have we needed more than the basic set. Personally, I would skip primer and go right into Alpha. From your description I think your dd will do well with mus. Good luck,