Menu

vertical or horizontal accelaration?

I need advise and suggestion please about vertical and horizontal acceleration. Right now I am homeschooling my just turned 6 year old dd at a first grade level and I looked around for homeschooling program for this coming school year(2011-2012) and was advised that she will stay at the first grade level but she will get a customized program "advanced program".. as I understand this is a horizontal acceleration...and am thinking she will just get more intense work than a typical first grader. I am planning to put her on the second grade level this coming school year because she doesn't have any problem at her grade level right now except that sometimes she would tell me that lesson is boring..I know that already. If you accelerate your child did you pick your own program?

Greatly appreciate input and advise...Thanks..

Are you talking about a cyber school? I found that complete programs did not ever work with my oldest. I needed more flexibility for levels. I found the original WTM to be a perfect fit. He was doing the reading for the logic stage, but the writing for the grammar stage. I had more control over the books to make sure the content was suitable for him. If you could ask more specific questions, that might help. :)

Thanks ladies for the reply. I inquire this morning at St. Thomas Aquinas Academy(california based homeschooling program) and they told me that if I enroll my DD to their academy she will stay at a first grade level because of her age but they (St. Thomas) will customized her program based on the result of her assessment. I picked her first grade program and we are fine with it. So this coming school year am thinking of something different :) but seems like more trouble than it's worth... wahh..

Edited by rogofamily

I think it would be possible to enrich horizontally enough to keep an accelerated learner busy, but it would take a lot of effort, probably more than a school will be willing to make, whether virtual or Brick and Mortar, especially in the early grades where output doesn't match input for an accelerated learner, and where maturity needs to play a big role in materials selection. For what it's worth, I've found that the material selection is MUCH better starting at about the 3rd-4th grade level.