Menu

Ambleside Composer and Artist Study

Marsha

You would just look at the advisory's selections for the term and go from there. (Sometimes they are "last minute" at posting new term selections - if this causes planning problems for you, just pick an old term you haven't done yet and go with it). The art selections are formatted to different sizes (postcard, 8.5x11, etc) and saved to different yahoo groups where you can go and print them on photo paper (if you have a color printer). Or, one of the Moms sells a term's prints for ~$16/term - not to make money, but at her cost. You could probably do it more cheaply yourself, but it is a convenience.

You could also just download the prints and view them on your computer - make them your "wallpaper" or screen saver, etc. And there's always the library too!

For composers, one term I downloaded all the Mozart selections from eclassical for around $11 or $12. This term, I relied on the library for the Beethoven selections. You could do this or try buying them - it's up to you.

As far as how I do it.... I usually show the kids the art prints during our "circle" time in the morning. We talk about them - I ask them what they notice, what they like, etc. We look at them again another day and see if they notice something new, etc. I think some folks practice sketching them from memory? For the music, I just try to play it sometime during the day - sometimes it gets done, sometimes not. If I know of (or find out through research) something interesting about the piece I tell them. You can also read the composer biographies that have been reprinted by Zeezok publishing - they are very kid friendly.

We're pretty casual about it. I feel like it's just an introduction and, hopefully, an opportunity to cultivate appetite for beauty.

Ambleside has a separate link for composer study and for artist study. For the artist study, there are links to bios and recommended artwork. Print out the artwork and print the bio (or summarize). For the composers, a list of recommended works is included. You can download from i-tunes or find a copy at the library (or substitute). Composers are paired with artists but this is not set in stone.

I've been looking at this over the past couple of weeks and plan to implement sometime in the future. It seems much more comprehensive than other studies that you can purchase.

Good Luck

Paula

These are a method, not a program you have buy - so you can select the artist or composer you want, then buy a CD with that composer's music, or some art prints (Ambleside does offer Art prints you can print off, and someone on there sells them already printed if you wanted to order). Here is a link to my post on our Composer study - I usually buy 1-2 CD's (though I try to pick composers I already have music for) and sometimes a book if there is one, but I don't worry too much about the biographies yet. http://sttheophanacademy.blogspot.com/2008/04/composer-study.html

There is a yahoogroup with the suggested prints for each artist are located. You can download those (pdf format) and either print them yourself or take them to Office Depot/Office Max/Fedex-Kinko's and get them printed (typically 6-7 pages at either .39 or .49 per page). It is on plain paper vs. photo paper - which means they are not quite as full of color and not glossy. I put them in a page protector which I hang on the bathroom door (hey you are stuck in there anyway, why not use that time constructively too?). I switch them out every couple of weeks or so.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AOArtPrints/