Menu

1st-3rd History

WIS0320

I am making myself a little crazy about this subject for some reason and when I really stop and think about it, I think it is silly that I am obsessing the most over history when I don't think my first grader is going to remember much of anything aside from the most exciting highlights. And are they really supposed to remember much more than the key players and main events? Isn't it just supposed to introduce them to being interested in what happened in the past?

Is all the mapping, timelines, lapbooking and so on a bit overkill for the early lower grammar years? I love history which I think is personally making it hard for me to not want to go with the most excessive program that I've reviewed samples of (ToG!). To be honest, SOTW may be too much for us for first grade.

Is anyone else struggling with this? I think I need to be this worried about math and reading/writing! Why is history getting all my obsessive concentration when there are bigger fish to fry in lower grammar?

I think the curriculum that uses mapping, timeline, lapbooking, journaling, etc. covers more than just history. I used a history for my kids together when they were in 1st & 3rd grade- they did Early American History (Beautiful Feet) and it covered literature, history, writing, art, geography... I believe the only thing I added was math.

Personally, at that age, I love the literature based history programs that teach history while teaching other things as well. Why have them practice writing by writing random sentences, reading by reading whatever reader they have, literature by random read-alouds... or even separate curriculum- when you can tie it all together and have a better learning experience. It sinks in better when they read it, write it, look at a map, draw it, color it... and then you do math and you're done.

Otherwise, you're right. History isn't really all that important all by itself at that age. What *I* learned, I learned in the older grades. I also learned along with my kids when I teach them.

Math and reading are the definite priorities at that age.

We're using SOTW here for my first grader. He's not going to remember it all, and that's fine. He IS retaining geography so far, and next time we go through this time period, he'll probably at least have some memory of it deep down.

I completely understand your problem though. Boy do I understand! Just call me Eggo, because I keep waffling on history. I changed my mind for next year yet again... Just today. :tongue_smilie:

I think the curriculum that uses mapping, timeline, lapbooking, journaling, etc. covers more than just history. I used a history for my kids together when they were in 1st & 3rd grade- they did Early American History (Beautiful Feet) and it covered literature, history, writing, art, geography... I believe the only thing I added was math.

I've never heard of Beautiful Feet (first year homeschooler here!) and I checked the website and I'm not really clear on how it works? It looks like you simply purchase a bundle of books? Is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

I am making myself a little crazy about this subject for some reason and when I really stop and think about it, I think it is silly that I am obsessing the most over history when I don't think my first grader is going to remember much of anything aside from the most exciting highlights. And are they really supposed to remember much more than the key players and main events? Isn't it just supposed to introduce them to being interested in what happened in the past?

Is all the mapping, timelines, lapbooking and so on a bit overkill for the early lower grammar years? I love history which I think is personally making it hard for me to not want to go with the most excessive program that I've reviewed samples of (ToG!). To be honest, SOTW may be too much for us for first grade.

Is anyone else struggling with this? I think I need to be this worried about math and reading/writing! Why is history getting all my obsessive concentration when there are bigger fish to fry in lower grammar?

Peer Pressure. :001_smile:

It happens to the best of us.

I started this year out with SOTW 2 for my 1st grader. She loved coloring the pictures and the crafts. She didn't really get much else. It ended up being a glorified arts and crafts program. I dropped it so I could spend more time just reading great stories. I am going to try history with her again next year but we are going to do American History (not Middle Ages) and I am going to just read good books on topic using TruthQuest book list. No textbook, no timelines, no maps, maybe some copywork and narration here and there. But mostly just blankets, a couch, and Mommy's lap. I'm really looking forward to it. :D

No, they won't retain it all, and yes, the more exciting parts will stick in their heads. However the timelines and maps will give them some idea as to when and where. The maps teach them geography and in my opinion should always be referenced to where you are in relation to where the map work is. This gives your child pieces to a puzzle that makes up the world. Timelines are great to show your child just how long ago things happened. They may not grasp the actual years (so and so lived in 1302) but seeing them-self on a timeline and the distance the event or person is from them shows it was a long or short time ago. I always first make a timeline of my childs life and family which helps my children grasp this. A lapbook or notebook full of pictures and dictations about what your child learned helps cement the info. Each of these are ways to help your child remember what they are learning.

But is any of this really necessary for grades 1-3? No. A full history curriculum or even science is not necessary (in my opinion). For us it is the first things to be cut if our day hectic. But exposure of history and science at this early age will not hurt. As another poster said, just cuddling together and reading a book about a history topic (fiction or non-fiction) is a great way to introduce them to the main characters or events of history. The funny thing is kids remember far more then we realize or they show at the moment, but months or even a year down the way something will trigger the memory of what they were exposed to.

So is it necessary? No, but the exposure no matter how small will not be wasted. (Just my opinion)

So is it necessary? No, but the exposure no matter how small will not be wasted. (Just my opinion)

I wholeheartedly agree! Plus, I think history is incredibly cool (when it's not a matter of force fed, boring, random dates and names). We are treating it as more of a "these people really walked, talked, and worried about stupid little daily (and major, life-altering) things just like we do! Isn't that amazing?! This is their story...." experience.

(and I, too, am obsessing about choosing the right source :001_rolleyes:)

I've come to this conclusion for lower elementary history:

good picture books (I mostly use the AG to find books)

SOTW reading (we do some mapping, but no timeline at this age)

a few memorable projects with the AG

Keep it simple! There's much time in the future to complicate things if I really want to! :lol:

I've never heard of Beautiful Feet (first year homeschooler here!) and I checked the website and I'm not really clear on how it works? It looks like you simply purchase a bundle of books? Is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

Well... there's more to the curriculum than just purchasing, you actually have to do it when the books arrive. :)

It was many years ago that we used that particular curriculum, but I do remember that out of all these years it was one of my favorites (possibly my very favorite). There was a teacher guide that said what to do each day, which I adjusted for each child. My 3rd grader did it all on his own, while my 1st grader I didn't expect as much writing from (or I did some of her writing for her). I don't think you *have* to purchase all the books, but they are hard to find in the library and it makes things easier if you have them. (They are books you may want on your shelf for future years as well). These particular books gave permission to copy from, and every other picture in the book was black & white. Those were copied, and then during the readings they would color those pictures with colored pencils and paste them in a composition book. We have their composition books still with all of their work for the entire year. I love looking back and seeing what they accomplished that year.

I'm not sure how you feel about it, but they are from a Christian World-view and there are Bible verses used for copy-work sometimes (that relate to the character of the person you are learning about. It's not something you would want if you don't believe in God. (I think I only mentioned this curriculum because I saw another post of yours that gave me the impression you were Christian).

My point, though, was not to "sell the curriculum" but to explain that many history curriculum also include writing, reading & literature, and other subjects and that's why they seem so involved.

If you want to use SOTW, I know many people who just have their kids listen to the auditory lesson each day at the young ages and that's all. You'll have to decide what you want and what works for your family.

Thanks!

You purchase the books that go along with the lit guide. The guide has a schedule well reading schedule in it of what to read when. Also it has a few questions you ask and such, it has suggestions on how to make the history notebook to keep all the work in. YOu print off your color sheets for them from the actual books you read.

Personally I like HO (history odyssey) it is more of a hands on fun for the kids. IMO Also it pulls together so many great resources like CHOW, SOTW, Usborne, History pockets, etc. I love it and so far so does my son.

My oldest is seven and I had a hard time figuring out how much history was necessary for that age. I did end up purchasing TOG because I really liked it and we would use it the whole way AND with the other kids. The nice thing about having it early is that it gives me plenty of time to figure the curriculum out and see how to use it with our family (prettty flexible program!). I can also just stick with the basics like reading some of the history and lit books (of course you can get book lists like that free on ambleside, etc.) But if they do get excited about something, there are some activities listed also to throw in something hands-on if you want. Last year we did do a few map activities, but this year we haven't done much with the map. Timelines and stuff like that will come later. We do have a TOG co-op here and it has been fun for them to do a lot of the hands-on stuff there and we are just reading some books at home. Since you love history, I have no doubt that whatever amount of history you choose, your kids will love doing history with you. :-)

I could have written your post (the OP's). In fact, I pondered those same thoughts when we started homeschooling. To sum it up, yes :iagree: I felt that there was so much emphasis on history. Thoughts and decisions about it truly stressed me out. We decided to use living books for history and it has worked out great(my dc are under 9). More of a low key approach to history and science.

I have been using SOTW w/my dds since 1st grade w/the oldest. Does she remember the exact dates of Hummarabi, or even his name, 2 yrs later? Probably not. But she does remember the key players and the hands on projects that we did and has a really good grasp of the major cultures and people. She remembers our musuem visits to see the artwork and the notebooks we made and pictures we took, etc. When we cycle back to it, she will be refreshed.

I may be the oddball, but I DO remember learning all of this ancient history in elem. school Sometimes when I am reading something to my dds from SOTW I actually remember a teacher talking to us about this stuff and I love that my kids are going so much deeper in it than we did. If I can remember this stuff, then I feel they will too, in some context.

If all you do is read the good storybooks and introduce them that is up to you. But I do think they will enjoy it. This is coming from someone who spent yesterday reading books to my 1st and 3rd grader on topics from Daniel Boone to George Washington's childhood to O.T. Bible stories during Bible time to Gulliver's Travels. And yes, they can tie all of it together, and loved every last story!

I am with you. I was looking at all of these expensive history programs and I was personally excited about them, but then I realized that it might not be retained anyway. I love history (and so does my DH) so I just want to instill that love in my kids. This is what I have decided to do. I am going to start this in K and then just do it as long as we are still learning and it is still fun. We bought a bunch of laminated maps at the HS convention. On one side is the map with country lines and topography on the other side. You can write on them with dry erase markers to help make things more real to him. I am also going to buy a globe.

I am using a few of books as a "spine."

Children Around the World

Global Art

We Sing Around the World

Around the World in 80 Tales

Children Just Like Me

We are going to pick a country and then do whatever is in the books we are using about spines for that country. I will go online and find a map and flag of the country to color. We will make some food from that country. We will go to the library and get some books about that country (I was SHOCKED at the selection at our small town library in the kids' section about countries). We will mark up the maps. When my child gets bored with that country, we will move on. I was planning on doing this just for K, but I might just do it until my kids are done or I feel like we need to move to something else.

HTH

Yes, I think many of the available history programs for the early grades are overkill if done exactly as written. It's a lot to ask of a child to remember so many events and how they all relate to each other. Hitting the highlights is plenty, in my opinion (even if you save stories about events in history for bedtime).

Science is so much more relevant to little kids' lives that I personally put a much higher priority on that in my homeschool. It is only now at the end of 4th grade that we are really doing more than a light survey of history.