Menu

Pampered chef baking stone issue

I know I'm not supposed to use soap on my stone and I haven't but what can I do about the oily feeling on the outside of the stone? It started a few uses ago. I noticed it but I just put it away anyway. I used the stone again tonight and it left a "ring" on the stove where it was sitting. Tonight's dish didn't have more than a tablespoon or two of oil in it, so I know it wasn't from tonight.

Thoughts?

I know I'm not supposed to use soap on my stone and I haven't but what can I do about the oily feeling on the outside of the stone? It started a few uses ago. I noticed it but I just put it away anyway. I used the stone again tonight and it left a "ring" on the stove where it was sitting. Tonight's dish didn't have more than a tablespoon or two of oil in it, so I know it wasn't from tonight.

Thoughts?

You could take some baking soda to the grease spots and a scrub brush and see what happens. You just don't want to soak it in soapy water.

Soap will not ruin a baking stone unless you use soap on it often-- you don't want to remove the 'season'...

When mine gets that 'slimy' or 'sticky' feel I will use a tiny bit of Dawn on it--(I usually put a drop or two on a scrubbing sponge and go after it... the season is still there--but the yucky stuff is not!

I WOULD hesitate to use soap on a NEW baking stone-- but my stone is about 10 years old-- (new stones that have not been 'seasoned' can absorb some of the 'soap taste' so just wipe/rinse/scrape newer stones).

As far as 'seasoning' goes-- just using it adds to the seasoning! It is usually recommended that the first few things you cook using a baking stone be a bit on the greasy side-- this rapidly builds the 'season'.

Thoughts?

Do you wipe it with anything before you put it away? I'd use a paper towel if it still seems greasy.

How do you clean yours? I do a quick wash & scrub with plain water (I very, very rarely use a drop of soap on it, but it is well-seasoned now), then dry with a dish towel. It never feels oily, just very smooth.

You ladies are fast! It is an old enough stone to be fully seasoned. So far I've only used very hot water to rinse out and scrub with a plain scrubbie. I'll go for the soap on the greasy parts. I've been afraid for the food to taste soapy.

Thanks!

I used to be a consultant. They do recommend that you bake a few greasy things like packaged biscuits or cookies to season your stone. I like to do bacon in the oven on our bar pan. They season easily without much effort.

You do not want to use soap often, but even I have used soap a few times on my stones. You do want to rinse very well because the stones are porous. You can soak it in hot water, but not hot soapy water. I have also used a copper chore boy on them if they are really messy and the plastic scrapper just won't do the job.

If you have any other questions, call your consultant. They are more than happy to help you, their customer. Good luck with your stones. They are wonderful products.