Menu

Tank tops for teen girls--where to find?

We are looking for tank tops for my 13 year old dd that she can layer under other shirts/tanks/dresses for spring and summer. DD is tallish and thin with obvious curves in the obvious places.

She likes LONG tanks so that she can move freely without showing her midriff. The ones we've tried so far are cut pretty low in the front. We are wanting them cut high enough that she can move freely (including bending over) without over-sharing.

Is there such a thing these days? (I tried the 12-14 and 14-16 tanks in a couple of children's departments because they are cut a bit higher, but they are also short at the waist.

Would love recommendations.

Thanks!

I found some Converse tanks for dd at Target. They have a rounded neck and aren't too lowcut, plus they are long enough to cover the midriff. I found them with the misses/junior clothes.

Also I saw some tanks in the junior department at Kohls. They are racerback style and I don't know about the cut/length, but next time we are at Kohls I plan to have my dd try one on to see. I can't remember if they are v-neck or rounded neck.

Penneys has tanks in the junior department but I don't know what their cut/length is.

Old Navy has longer tanks. On their website, they have a "tall" option for many of the shirts. I'm tall with a long torso, so this is something I'm sensitive to, and their stuff has worked for me. Gap.com also has a tall section.

I tend to steal DH's tanks, myself. They were long enough to even cover my belly up until the last two weeks or so of pregnancy :)

My daughter insists on wearing tank tops under everything. The ones she has are long and fairly clingy so that if she leans forward they stay in place.

The ones we have tried are snug fitting as well, but cut fairly low at the top. If she's just standing there, they are mostly ok, but they are low enough that when she moves around your eye is drawn to the area and if she bends over even the slightest, all of her "information" is visible. (Note that I am not particularly prudish. I am fine with tank tops. I just want them cut a little higher than I've found....so that she can be comfortable to move freely!)

Thanks!

ETA--I don't mean "prudish" negatively, though it might read that way. I just mean that, while I would consider our choices of dress to the conservative end of things, my girls do sometimes wear clothing that I'm sure others on this board would not choose.

Edited by lovemywhirlygirls

I'm petite and have the same issue as your daughter.

You might take a look at downeastbasics.com and shadeclothing.com. Both sites have a selection of modest tees and tanks. I've also found the tanks and camis on Kohls website that are higher cut. This one is a good price and doesn't appear to have as much of a scooped neckline.

My teen-aged sister has the same problem. We both really like Gap tank tops, but they can get pricey. I always get weekly coupons from their website that helps, and the outlets always have them as well. I find they're worth the extra money because they're thicker and more comfy. I layer them under shirts, but I don't think I'd layer them under a dress.

I also like the Converse tanks at Target. They are lesser quality, and I find the more I wash them the worse they get - but just along the hems. If it's tucked in, no problemo. I wash mine lots because I wear them daily.

If you're looking online, try Modbe. I wore a lot of their stuff when I was pregnant because it was more modest, but fitted enough to stay put. Looks like it had gone out of business since then, but is now back up and running. I loved the feel of their stuff; not sure if it's same manufacturer but their prior stuff was great.