Menu

iPod Nano or Touch?

Dh desperately needs a new ipod for his birthday. He primarily uses it to workout (hard!). Not really interested in a camera, movie camera, or watching videos.

The new Nano is itty bitty with a touch screen instead of a wheel. Who loves it? Who hates it?

The ipod Touch is big but pretty slim. I've heard that even in an armband, it's not very fun to workout with because it's just too big. I have a friend who said her dh's has actually shorted out from sweat during a workout! Wireless internet access is a benefit, but I not really a major selling point for me. Who loves it? Who hates it?

TIA!

This will replace his old Nano (2nd Generation, maybe?), so I don't think he'll be happy with a Shuffle (no playlists).

My worry is that the new Nano touch screen will be too small. Anyone with big man hands find it too small?

I'm checking out the last Nano version, a 5th Generation. That's the one I have and it's just an upgrade from dh's old one, plus a few extras like a video camera, but he won't care much about that.

Just for workout, get the Nano. Compact and easy to use. Did you know you can get a wristband and wear it as a watch? Very cool! My dh treated himself to a refurbished one recently and it is neat! We do own touches and I love my touch but I see the benefit of the new Nano.

One complaint that I have heard about the newer Nano's touchscreen, is that people who like to put it in their pocket, find that the screen activates itself fairly easy (especially if they are working out or walking). I have also heard that the screen doesn't handle much wear and tear.

When I was researching them around Christmas for dd, many people were looking to buy the older version of Nano, even though the newer one had been out for a while, due to the newest Nano's issues.

I would not buy a Touch for working out.

I would buy a shuffle for working out. If it was out of the question, then an older Nano. If that isn't an option, I would get the newer Nano with a warranty. I wouldn't even bother with a touch for working out....I would switch brands.

Ok, a question about the Shuffle then. If you have certain playlists set up on iTunes and sync to your Shuffle, how do you call up your Workout Playlist or whichever if there is no visual menu? I think one poster mentioned the menu is audible?

Ok, a question about the Shuffle then. If you have certain playlists set up on iTunes and sync to your Shuffle, how do you call up your Workout Playlist or whichever if there is no visual menu? I think one poster mentioned the menu is audible?

When one playlist isn't enough

You probably have multiple playlists in iTunes on your computer. One for your commute. One for the gym. One for just relaxing. Sync all those playlists to iPod shuffle, and you can play the perfect mix for whatever mood strikes you. VoiceOver tells you the name of each playlist, so it's easy to switch between them and find the one you want without looking.