Menu

Help me clarify types of memorization please

annlaura

"Our memory is dependant on emotions." Do you believe this? I am trying to think through my own experiences with memorization, and would like input from others. The quote is from an article discussing the problems with memorization such as cramming for exams, based on fear, fwiw.

Guest Momlovesbooks

I disagree with that statement. I have always been able to memorize numbers without trying. If I hear it, I can recite it later. Off the top of my head I can list hundreds of different numbers for things.

I have to purposely not remember some numbers, like a friend giving me her pin for the ATM. I have to chant in my head wrong numbers to forget it.

Hmm . . . it's an intriguing idea. It's kind of hard to fully get into it without reading the whole article, though. My initial reaction is that the quote is somewhat true with regard to memories, but not necessarily memorization. Our memories of events/experiences do tend to be influenced by strong emotion--the stronger the emotion tied to the event (good or bad), the stronger the memory (with the exception of traumatic events that are blocked from a person's memory). It seems like I've heard of research that came to that conclusion, but it's also pretty intuitive.

Memorization is a different animal, though. The genetic connection would be an interesting angle to explore. Even if the emotional component does affect memorization, I doubt it would be nearly as dramatic as how emotions affect event memories. Fear of failing a test isn't going to be as strong as fear in a life-threatening or otherwise dangerous situation, kwim?

I think this is true, but more in the following type of context:

What did you do in the morning 9 years, 7 months, and 28 days ago?

What were you doing on the morning of September 11, 2001?

It's much easier to remember for latter, because of the huge emotion surrounding the event.

At least, that is how I would interpret the sentence.

The quote uses the word memory, but the article is about cram-style memorization. I'm having computer trouble so can't link to the article atm, but I'll try again later. I am more curious about how emotion relates to memorization. I agree that with memories, people more easily remember those with strong emotions attached. But with relation to purposefully memorizing, does emotion have to be involved?

The quote uses the word memory, but the article is about cram-style memorization. I'm having computer trouble so can't link to the article atm, but I'll try again later. I am more curious about how emotion relates to memorization. I agree that with memories, people more easily remember those with strong emotions attached. But with relation to purposefully memorizing, does emotion have to be involved?

I'm thinking no, at least that it doesn't *have* to be involved. Most people memorize their phone numbers easily without too many tears, you know? It would be interesting to see what effect it does have on memorization; my instinct would actually be to say that it has a *negative* effect, simply because whatever is causing the emotion (good or bad) would be distracting you from the mental effort and focus that memorization requires.

I have two thoughts:

First, I researched a lot of information about memorization when my oldest were mastering grammar skills, and then again for some training and talks I did. I read several times that there are various things that will help "cement" a memory: a personal connection, humour, or an off-color spin. That's why there are memory techniquest that involve matching items to memorize to family members/ friends, and memory techniques that involve places you like to go. That's a use of emotion.

Second, dh has also done a lot of work with special needs students and learning. What they have found is that a small amount of stress, such as that added with a reasonable time restraint, is helpful to memorization or learning material, but a large amount of stress is not. There is an optimal point of (minimal) stress that is best.

My only take on this is that my little brother couldn't remember things he didn't care about (school subjects) but could remember things he did care about (memorizing the winners of the Tour de France back to 1950 & the top 3 since 1985?). I know others have pointed this out with regard to boys & sports facts.

To me, if I'm interested in something, it is easier for me to remember than if I don't care. It doesn't guarantee I'll remember something, but I find it easier.

The older I get, the more it matters that I understand what I'm trying to memorize. I was trying to fix a stanza of a poem in my brain, but couldn't until I'd looked up one of the words, which turned out to be some kind of beam used in log cabins or something, then it clicked right in.

Rosie