Menu

Dr. Hive...what do you know about in grown toenails?

I had one once. It hurt when I walked from rubbing against my shoe. It hurt when I moved at night and the sheet touched it. It didn't look unusual, it just hurt really, really bad.

I went to a podiatrist, and he cut off a sliver of my toenail. It was INSTANT RELIEF. I had no pain whatsoever after the doctor did his thing. I highly recommend going to a podiatrist instead of treating it yourself if you have insurance.

If you can lift the toenail by sticking some cotton wool down your toenail, great. When that won't work anymore, you need professional help.

Oh, symptoms. When they get really bad, the skin will go shiny, then you'll see an infection growing. Try to do whatever you need to do before you get to that point though coz that Really Hurts.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I soak it in warm soapy water and then do what Rosie says. I try to get the ingrown part out of the sides gently using those wood things for cuticles. It's easier to do when it's softened and clean by the warm water. I keep my toe nails a bit longer because I get them while they are growing out!

I had my first one recently- very painful! I think it happened because I cut the nail too short. I tried various things and I wanted to cut it but couldn't get to it and it was really too painful to touch.

In the end, after a week or so it just grew out and has been fine since then. My nails grow quite fast I think.

thanks ladies. What is really hard is that it is my little toe and the nail is very small and thick. So cutting it really isn't an option....I soaked my foot in epson salts this morning and will do that for several days (several times a day)...to see if that helps some...thanks again.