Menu

Why I love Rod and Staff...

Sophia

This is my 15 y.o.'s fb status today:

It blows me away that Melody can recite the first 13 rulers of Judah in the order that they reigned....I have one smart sister :)

Memorization, reading comprehension, vocabulary, punctuation, Bible, all nicely covered in one comprehensive reading program.

With all the curriculum hopping I've done in other areas, it's nice to know I got one subject right. ;)

• 1 month later...

It blows me away that Melody can recite the first 13 rulers of Judah in the order that they reigned....I have one smart sister :)

Memorization, reading comprehension, vocabulary, punctuation, Bible, all nicely covered in one comprehensive reading program.

With all the curriculum hopping I've done in other areas, it's nice to know I got one subject right. ;)

Amen.

I've been so blessed this year by having a wonderful husband who started taking Mondays off so that he could teach R & S Bible this year (and spend more time with us).

Which grade are you using? I am still undecided between R&S and BJU for 2nd .

Do you do it orally or require writing ?

I thought for 2nd grade there was A LOT of writing !

I really like R&S. We dropped it two years ago in second grade, b/c DH thought it was too dry. I ordered it again (3rd grade English and 1st grade phonics) just this past Friday, and I'm on pins and needles until it gets here!!

We recently started English 5 with my 11dd & 12ds and English 2 for my almost 7yo dd and we really lke it!! I think the key to R&S is to pick and choose what you do in writing and what you do orally. We do a lot of it orally and together, and a portion of the text and the worksheet individually. I am glad I took the leap of faith on this one. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Which grade are you using? I am still undecided between R&S and BJU for 2nd .

Do you do it orally or require writing ?

I thought for 2nd grade there was A LOT of writing !

I use the Rod and Staff Reading (which is separate from the English/grammar) for 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades.

It is a lot of writing and I used to agonize over that~should I or shouldn't I make them write it all out?

I cracked the whip ;). They wrote it all out and not only did they retain so much, they all have beautiful handwriting.

I did also use Rod and Staff's English for grammar from 3-7th grade.

They did diagramming on the white board and we did many of the exercises orally.

Sigh...you know what happened, right? The material they recited to me perfectly did not translate to their papers.

Lesson learned. My dc retain so much more when they write it down.

Painful for all of us but not half as painful as reading those atrocious papers because they didn't retain what they learned. :ack2: