Menu

HWOT - do I need the teacher's guide?

I think that if you don't at least read a teacher's guide, you're potentially losing the biggest part of the program, but I'd suggest reading the K guide, not the 1st or 2nd grade one (the K one gives the same information, but more tricks and suggestions). The multisensory focus of HWOT is really the thing that makes it different from the other handwriting curricula I've seen, and if you're not going to use it, you're really not doing HWOT, just a handwriting workbook. And while it's a good handwriting workbook, there's nothing particularly special about it. In general, my suggestion is to get the K guide and the 3rd grade guide, but skip those for other grade levels.

Another thing, too-if you buy one HWOT teacher's guide, for any level, you get access to the teacher part of the website for ALL levels-which can be very helpful.

I got the K one which is useful if you're teaching a child who has never learned to write. I didn't use it for my first grader who was learning proper letter formation after developing bad habits for 2 years. The first grade workbook was enough for that. What he needed was all in the workbook - pencil pickup game, magic c and other sayings to help remember formation, starting letters at the top, etc.

I have been wondering this as well. We have K, and would definitely have needed the TM to explain the program, we have relied heavily on it this year. I was wondering if I would need the first grade TM, is the consensus no? Just the same tricks/games as K? or is there additional info relevant to the first grade wb/curr?

I have been wondering this as well. We have K, and would definitely have needed the TM to explain the program, we have relied heavily on it this year. I was wondering if I would need the first grade TM, is the consensus no? Just the same tricks/games as K? or is there additional info relevant to the first grade wb/curr?

No, I don't think you will need the first grade TM. The K TM is really helpful and for us, necessary. Otherwise you are just tracing letters and not learning all that HWOT has to offer.

I think that if you don't at least read a teacher's guide, you're potentially losing the biggest part of the program, but I'd suggest reading the K guide, not the 1st or 2nd grade one (the K one gives the same information, but more tricks and suggestions). The multisensory focus of HWOT is really the thing that makes it different from the other handwriting curricula I've seen, and if you're not going to use it, you're really not doing HWOT, just a handwriting workbook. And while it's a good handwriting workbook, there's nothing particularly special about it. In general, my suggestion is to get the K guide and the 3rd grade guide, but skip those for other grade levels.

So I "need" to get the wooden letter pieces? I just thought they were optional and not really needed.

So I "need" to get the wooden letter pieces? I just thought they were optional and not really needed.

Yes, they're needed, especially for PK and K, but no, you don't need to buy them (and I wouldn't for a 1st grader unless they have very delayed motor skills and are likely to need them for a longer period of time and need the weight to be able to place them correctly). The TM includes a template to make them (and I think there is one on the teacher section of the website as well). This is the case with most of the manipulatives. You really don't need to buy them if you're willing to improvise, but you do need to know what to do with them.

The single manipulative that is the hardest to improvise is the slate chalkboard, because it's the feel that's important there.