Menu

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Donna T.

I have always wanted to try this out. I think the time may be right to add it to our schedule. I am looking for feedback on the audios. I have a really hard time listening to Mr. Pudewa. Sorry to be rude, but that's just the truth. It's not what he's saying, it's his voice. I just don't find it to be a pleasant voice to listen to. I find myself having to turn off the video/audios I have seen that he has done. I've only found one sample for the poetry book and it just wasn't enjoyable for me to listen to.

If you have used this product, what do you think of the audios? I know we wouldn't even use it if I don't get those, but I don't know if I am going to enjoy them. Maybe my boys will think differently, but both of them tend to be sensitive to audios. I don't know of any similiar product that provides audios with poetry memorization.

And, my other question is about the book. Do I need one for each of my children or can they share? I can't tell if it's consummable or not. I see it is called a Student Workbook, but I'm not sure if that means they write in it or not.

Thanks for any info. and/or opinions of this program.

I wish SWB would do a dvd writing instructional series. I know she has them on audio (for parents) but I'm just very visual.

I'm not crazy about certain people's voices either, but examples on a whiteboard just really cement understanding for me.

ETA: I realize you were not talking about TWSS--I'm just wishing out loud on your thread. :001_smile:

Edited by darlasowders

My kids do like the cds, but they just want to listen straight through - not work on (or listen) to the same poem over again. Listening straight through the cd doesn't really get them memorized (at least not for us). So, if you think the cds are the only way it will get done then I would get them. But if your plan is hard core poetry memorization, imho, that will work better with you and the book in hand. jmho. :001_smile:

We're on level 3, using the audios, and loving it! His voice is definitely hard to get used to, but after a few times of listening to him he grew on us and we really enjoy listening to him now. Maybe it's because I've heard him speak in person and like his upbeat personality, that his voice is really nice to me.

I use the book with two kids and the way we use it is that I type up each poem (or do a Google search and print it) and print 2 copies for my kids as they're ready for it. While listening to a new poem they illustrate it and add it to their 3-ring poetry binder. It's so much fun looking back on all the poems they've memorized and illustrated over the years. We usually spend a week memorizing each poem, sometimes 2 weeks if it's really long.

The book and the audios are priceless to me. If I had to pick just one subject to keep and teach from it would be this one. And no, I'm not affiliated with IEW in any way--just love their poetry curricula. :D

I too find his voice somewhat irritating. However, the kids don't, so that's good! Generally, I play the CDs for the kids at a time when I need one of them to be occupied so I can do something else, which means I don't have to listen to it. ;) Other than that small logistical hiccup, I've been very pleased with it.

One book is fine. You don't need the audios. I had the book already and think it's great, so I was happy when I inherited a set of the CDs. They aren't terrible, but I don't love them and we have used them almost not at all. You do not NEED the CDs in order to use the program.

The book has an article on the How and Why of poetry memorization. After that, it's just an anthology arranged in increasingly challenging "levels" for memorization. It's a nice and quite varied collection.

If you're looking for more audio poetry for kids, "Poetry Speaks to Children" has poetry read (mostly) by the authors, and it's great. "A Child's Introduction to Poetry" has a CD as well, but I didn't care for the readers much (though the brief explanations for various genres of poetry in the book are quite nice).

His voice is definitely hard to get used to, but after a few times of listening to him he grew on us and we really enjoy listening to him now. Maybe it's because I've heard him speak in person and like his upbeat personality, that his voice is really nice to me.

:iagree: I also listened to him speak in person and really enjoyed his seminars. He is very kind and personable one-on-one as well. That probably makes a difference when listening to him on the CD, as his voice does take some getting used to and I can see how some people wouldn't care for it. I think the poems are recorded well, though. The CD isn't gimicky. He is expressive, but not overly dramatic. And there is a quiet music 'thing' separating each poem. My boys enjoy listening to the CD. I don't think we'd do the program without them.

One book is fine. You don't need the audios. I had the book already and think it's great, so I was happy when I inherited a set of the CDs. They aren't terrible, but I don't love them and we have used them almost not at all. You do not NEED the CDs in order to use the program.

The book has an article on the How and Why of poetry memorization. After that, it's just an anthology arranged in increasingly challenging "levels" for memorization. It's a nice and quite varied collection.

:iagree: I almost never use the CDs, only when the children ask for them ... and I assume when we get to Jabberwocky ;)

thought i'd throw in my $.02, even though it's far simpler than what many have done who've already commented.

i have a memory work folder for each of my kiddos. at the front of each one is the memorization grid that i chose from the front of the LDTPM book, then i photocopied and printed level 1 poems, color-coding them so that there's a "red day, a blue day, and a yellow day" of poems. we practice the poems together in the car with me leading them at stoplights, or sometimes we go outside . . . but since we don't own the cds, i have to be the one teaching the inflection. my older son can practice on his own now at this point i nthe year, but i prefer for him to learn from me at the beginning. my daughter doesn't read fluently enough yet to do it independently. we keep track of which ones they've mastered on the grid . . . so it's all very homespun. {i *love* the idea that a PP mentioned of typing them up and allowing her children to illustrate .... love love love that and will likely include that for level 2 in the fall, so thanks for mentioning that}. i'm going to be on the hunt for the cds now, though, based on what has been discussed. our kids enjoy both the "poetry speaks for children' and "child's introduction to poetry," though i find them to be cacophony after a while personally.

{the rest of our memory folder is divided into days of the week and includes things like our year's memory verses, memory work from andrew campbell's "living memory" and other important info i want to strategically include. again, it's homespun and very imperfectly executed but b.c it's all compiled in one location, i've been more inclined to "grab it and go" than the way i tried to do it last year}