Menu

Does anyone use Singapore Math as a supplement

Teresa in MO

On the thread about curriculum you've stayed with alot of people use SM. Has anyone used this either as a supplement or with another program. If so, can you describe how you use this. Also, is there a point where it is too late to start SM. I am thinking about a 6th grader. I think it would work okay to start with my 2nd gr, but maybe 6th would be too late.

My very visual learner is using MUS but we supplement with Singapore to get the mental math dynamic and because it seems to gently cover more topics. It also helps him look at the problems from different angles. We don't do any of the extra books for singapore, just the regular workbook. Since it is only a couple of pages a day, with short lessons, it is not overkill. My son seems to need the MUS one subject at a time approach. If he did not, I would probably use another program and may have even gone with singapore as a stand alone. But I find it perfect for supplementing.

FYI the levels don't correspond to grades. 1A&B is about 2nd grade level. You would definately need to take the placement tests. I don't thinks it's ever to late to start with sinagpore, especially as a supplement. I teaches math in a completely different way, giving them the added benefit of greater understanding. With that said, I also may not be for everyone.

hth!

Edited by MyLittleBears

:bigear: for owe who do supplement, would love to hear what your main program is and what SM books you are using. I am considering supplementing Math Mammoth with SM CWP and/or IP. Would that be good? Or even necessary? I thought the CWP were OOP. But I see they are currently for sale new from Rainbow and others -- are those a different version than they used to be? Not as good? Still worth it?

I would like to hear more about if those books include instructions/answers, as was asked already.

Thank you! :)

We've been using some of the Fan-Math Process Skills books which teach bar models. I don't know if they're published by the same folks as the singapore.com or if they're just Singaporean math workbooks. Anyway, they're sold on the Singapore website and have been a nice addition to MM and TT. I haven't looked at the CWP or IP or the regular textbooks, so I don't know how they compare.

We use Math Mammoth as our main math. We also use MEP when time allows.

The IP and CWP books do not tell you how to teach. I'm pretty familiar with Singapore Math's bar diagram method and the mental math parts, so it hasn't been difficult for me to implement. BUT, I'm only working with my 6yr old so I can't say it will still be easy for me in the later years.

We've been using some of the Fan-Math Process Skills books which teach bar models. I don't know if they're published by the same folks as the singapore.com or if they're just Singaporean math workbooks. Anyway, they're sold on the Singapore website and have been a nice addition to MM and TT. I haven't looked at the CWP or IP or the regular textbooks, so I don't know how they compare.

I like this book too. We occasionally work out problems from this too.

do the intensive practice books have instructions and answers?

The answers are in the back of the book. But the problems are not worked out. There is just a number printed.

Instructions are written for the student. There are no teacher notes.