Menu

ClassiQuest Science, Logic Biology - questions ...

Classiquest Science uses KSE, USE, and DKE. I realize after looking through them that the content will vary a bit, but it does appear to be quite broad.

Anyone use this?

Have you used other texts or science resources? I am interested in whether or not you used this with another program. I am considering merging with SL 5 (not 4, sorry for the typo) for science too.

:) TIA

Edited by ChrissySC
Not enough coffee yet

Ask me next month. I'm starting it in April. I have the book and most of the supplies and a lab partner for my dd. I'm also planning in extra things for the younger siblings to work on to go with each topic. I don't have all of the books recommended to go with it, but I think we will be able use similar topics from the books we already have. I'm currently trying to match topics to Discover Streaming videos too.

Each week for the reading, there is a list of pages from the books along with the subject of the reading. For example, lesson 16 says read "Nonflowering Plants", p. 58 in one book, "New Plants from Old", pp 278-279 from another book, "Flowerless Plants", pp 282-283 from another book and "Plants without Flowers", p 316 from another book. I plan to just read about nonflowering plants from one of our science encyclopedias.

It covers what I wanted to cover this year - plant and animal cells, microscopes, and how to make slides. It has lists of things to memorize, experiments related to each topic, and a variety of lab sheets. The kids will grow plants, make slides, look at a variety of plant and animal cells, learn about mitosis and meiosis, and type their own blood. It is a step up from biology the first time around, but not high school biology. We're really looking forward to starting this.

I do wish there was a separate book with the lab forms. As it is, I will have to photocopy the sheets which will be a pain because of the binding and the fact the book isn't 8 1/2 x 11.

Edited by Karen in CO

I do wish there was a separate book with the lab forms. As it is, I will have to photocopy the sheets which will be a pain because of the binding and the fact the book isn't 8 1/2 x 11.

You can print the lab forms directly off the web site. Here's the link:

http://classiquestscience.com/

It says "Free Lab Report Forms" under the green book cover.

Hope that helps,

Classiquest Science uses KSE, USE, and DKE. I realize after looking through them that the content will vary a bit, but it does appear to be quite broad.

Anyone use this?

We started using this in January and I've been happy with it.

We are using all 3 encyclopedias. I've added books, videos or web sites as necessary. Sometimes the USE will have a web site that I think my kids will enjoy so I'll assign that. The meiosis vs. mitosis concept was a bit of a struggle so we watched some You Tube videos explaining that further as well as reading a separate book. When we got to the bacteria week, I added in a separate book on bacteria just because I liked the book. Last week was fungi and this week was plant anatomy. I didn't add anything additional for either of those.

I pre-read the information each week to determine if I think my kids will need a little more info to understand the concept. It's been quite a change for them coming from an Apologia by Jeannie Fulbright background!

I'm not using this with any other program. We take about 90 minutes twice a week to get everything done. For us, it would be too much to add in anything else.

Guest momk2000

I am interested in using this with my 5th grader next year. I was looking on the website, and am very impressed. Does anyone know anything about the author? I couldn't seem to find a bio. or "about us" section on the site.

I like that the biology is a bit more than this is the plant or this is your body. I prefer something interactive too. I have a microscope, and we have been anxious to use it (from teaching highschool before).

I did not consider the author momk2000. I will look into that and maybe just send an email their way.

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate your comments.

Right now I am torn between this one and elemental science for my 5th grader next school year. If anyone finds a bio on the classiquest writer, please post. Not knowing anything about the author is the only thing stopping me from buying it right now. :001_smile:

I emailed. I explained that a certain amount of elaboration on her background was necessary. If nothing else, I would like to know that she was a homeschooler and what references she used to create the scope and sequence. :) I'll let you know once I hear something.

She emailed. She explained that she would provide a response over the weekend to our concerns regarding her background. She appears to be a rather dear person. :) I explained that with any new book on the homeschooling market, we all like to make sure it is a respectable and valuable resource. I asked for her background qualifications and reference sources from which she may have designed the books. This would certainly shed light on their academic value. Her disclosure will promote respect as well.

I will certainly post for everyone.

Guest momk2000
She emailed. She explained that she would provide a response over the weekend to our concerns regarding her background. She appears to be a rather dear person. :) I explained that with any new book on the homeschooling market, we all like to make sure it is a respectable and valuable resource. I asked for her background qualifications and reference sources from which she may have designed the books. This would certainly shed light on their academic value. Her disclosure will promote respect as well.

Thanks!

Guest momk2000

I have decided on another curriculum for next year, but am curious if you have heard anything back from the author yet? I find it rather odd that she doesn't have a bio. posted on her site.

UPDATE: I have received an email back from the author of CQ. I will summarize for now, but realize that in the next few days her sites will be updated.

It would appear that CQ developed like most of our loved books and plans, e. g. Biblioplan. She is a well-educated and socially active individual that is a full supporter of classical education. She affirms that CQ is a secular resource. She has homeschooled too. She truly has absorbed and implemented the WTM as most of us have.

I have agreed to not post and allow her time to update the sites, but I must quote a small passage ....

"I am a perpetual student and advocate of life-long education."

This statement coming from a college graduate like myself was refreshing. So many people in this world believe that learning stops once you leave school. We all know better than that!

Keep watching for updates to her site! I think that you will agree that this will be a resource we need and will value in the future.

Guest momk2000

I have decided to go with Elemental Science. In comparing available samples on both sites, I just really like what ES has to offer. They both appear to be wonderful programs though. :)

Oh someone please just tell me to go buy something ... anything! I need to start planning for this summer and buying lab supplies!

I was feeling the same way! I went ahead and bought ES over the weekend. I have been through the whole teacher manual and it looks good. I am happy with my purchase!

I like the extra enrichments and extensions in ES. I am letting them both sit inside my head for another day or two. I tend to lean towards ES because of the additional paths and diversions that we can run through or into. LOL

Dd is certainly one for math and science - now if only I could create a passion for writing and history. :) At least it is two subjects that closely relate. I should have known that she would tend to lean towards the logic and investigative nature of her mother.

And to everyone who has tossed the ideas around and just replied to ponder or voice indecision or decision, I have enjoyed it!

So, let's recap for others ... what final factor(s) led you to your choice? (I will post mine as soon as I decide, LOL)

I was completely set on classiquest but then elemental Science came out and really changed my mind...

I like how it has more hand holding for the teacher and also LOVE that she already incorportated a Science Fair Project.... This was something I would have had to add with classiquest (not really a big deal- but with my crazy schedule its one less thing for me to do)

I like ES lay out better and the extras she offers. and after looking at prices I think I can come out of ES a bit cheaper.

I so excited.... Thinking of starting this summer and having my daughter's best friend be a lab partner....

\So, let's recap for others ... what final factor(s) led you to your choice? (I will post mine as soon as I decide, LOL)

I thought that CQ was a more indepth study. From the samples, CQ seemed to have more memory work (a whole bunch of classiification work) and the microscope was used more which I determined by looking at the list of materials for each unit. I really wanted a science program that looked at plants and animals from the microscopic level as much as possible this year. Mitosis and Meiosis were two topics I had listed as required study for this year. It was the list of materials for each week from the samples that led me to choose CQ. It seemed that the experiments would match the depth that I needed for biology this year.

I had a detailed response all typed up to this thread but I lost it. So this time, I'm just going to mention that I recently posted about the challenges we faced implementing this program on my blog. If interested you can read it here.

Be aware that ClassiQuest is basically a skeleton. It organizes the study of biology into a logical progression (in my opinion). You go through and learn about the topics from various encyclopedias. Then you complete a lab associated with what you learned. You are basically taking the information you read and applying it with the lab.

Many of the labs are taken from Janice Van Cleave's Biology for Every Kid. Those that were written by DuBois outline the procedure to follow to apply the reading. You can see Lab 29 on her sample as an example of a lab written by DuBois. This would also be the extent to which she adds any commentary.

I didn't investigate her credentials because I don't feel like she is the one teaching us. She has organized the information for us and set up a framework of how to progress through a lesson: reading, vocabulary, labwork, report, timeline, memory work. The teaching is coming from the encyclopedias themselves and the kids are learning how to apply it through the labs.

Reposting my thoughts on ES from another post:

I can speak more about Elemental as I actually have it, so here are some of the things I like:

- The Teacher's Guide (TG) includes discussion questions along with answers to make sure your child is understanding the material. There are also answers for all of the drawing labels and definitions.

- Every unit has a drawing to label that goes along with what's being studied. I did see one in Classiquest, but since I don't have it, I'm not sure how often this is utilized.

- Every week there are recommendations for further study, which can include things like video recommendations and further experiments (many of which use the microscope more, which makes me happy)

- Several weeks are set aside to work on a science fair experiment, and you are walked through the process. At the same time, the child works on a mini research paper and other activities (not the regular experiments as there is an ongoing experiment already presumably).

- There are unit tests (or quizzes, can't remember), but I'm neutral on those. Some people will see it as a positive, some as a negative.

- The more I look at everything, the more excited I am getting about the program. I considered buying Classiquest so that I could really compare the 2, but I don't think I'll do that at this point as I'm pretty satisfied.