Menu

Help me, I'm waffling!!! Kindy math question

m0mmaBuck

I have my carts loaded and I'm ready to click the "buy" button but....

Singapore Essentials or CLE 101-105??? What to do, what to do??? DD loves to "do school" alongside DS so I want her to have something, but I don't want to push her too hard and make it so she doesn't think math is fun.

She can do simple addtion (+0, +1, and +2 for sums up to 10), count and write up to 20, understands greater than/less than....

Which program would be more appropriate and enjoyable for a 5 yo?

We like Singapore, it's open and go. I'm not sure about CLE.

Obviously, I'd vote for Singapore :lol: But my bias is just as obvious ;)

I've never used Singapore but it sounds good.... I use CLE for DS because he NEEDS the repetition... Of course I've had him take the Singapore placement tests because I plan to supplement with Singapore Standards over the summer.... AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

we like CLE around here.

You have to do decide which approach to take. They have two different approaches. CLE is very traditional in it's teaching methods. It's more focussed on drilling the how to do it than the "why" it is done that way. (this is a very very simplistic explanation! there are threads that are pages and pages long that go into the deeper meanings of math approaches.) So you're probably going to get answers right up the middle depending on which program the parent prefers to teach. Both are great programs so you'll probably be fine with either one. :)

(oops, I see you already use CLE so you know it's approach.)

Edited by jannylynn

Singapore. It will set your child up for a much deeper and richer math experience in her future.

Miquon is an even more fun (and in my opinion better) introduction to Singapore than their own materials, but it does require a very motivated parent who will spend time on his or her own math re-education.

Otherwise Singapore.

Bill

Singapore. It will set your child up for a much deeper and richer math experience in her future.

I'm sure this is true, but I find it less helpful when it makes the teacher want to bang her head against the wall. :D

(I'm in the middle of a math dither myself. That's why I read these threads. I probably shouldn't.)

(When I attempted to teach Singapore 1A, I needed the HIG, and when I called the local homeschool store, they told me that they don't carry it because people don't usually need it? I felt so very intelligent right then.:lol:)

I've never used Singapore but it sounds good.... I use CLE for DS because he NEEDS the repetition... Of course I've had him take the Singapore placement tests because I plan to supplement with Singapore Standards over the summer.... AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

I started using it with my older ds in 2nd grade (when we started hsing). I love their approach, I love that he understands how math works. The Essentials books are more than what I generally consider to be math. They cover taller and shorter, for instance. There's plenty to color and trace, which means that my youngest can do some work on his own (I have three dc, I need that time to work with the other two).

It doesn't hurt that Singapore is inexpensive either. My oldest uses Saxon and I'm running into problems affording her books. I have to save up, and I do not have that problem with Singapore at all.

(When I attempted to teach Singapore 1A, I needed the HIG, and when I called the local homeschool store, they told me that they don't carry it because people don't usually need it? I felt so very intelligent right then.:lol:)

:001_huh: Singaporemath.com

I could not imagine NOT needing the guide.

I vote for Singapore, but I would skip Essentials A since it works on counting up to 10 and your daughter is probably past that. Instead I would get Early Bird B with the Activity Book B if she likes cutting and pasting activities. It would give her more activities she could do independently while you work with your older child.

I vote for Singapore, but I would skip Essentials A since it works on counting up to 10 and your daughter is probably past that. Instead I would get Early Bird B with the Activity Book B if she likes cutting and pasting activities. It would give her more activities she could do independently while you work with your older child.

She has a bunch of cut and paste type books already and she really doesn't care for them. She has the ability but not the interest. She would rather cut and paste of her own accord.

Are there other reasons to choose one over the other (Essentials vs. Early Bird?)

I'm sure this is true, but I find it less helpful when it makes the teacher want to bang her head against the wall. :D

(I'm in the middle of a math dither myself. That's why I read these threads. I probably shouldn't.)

I spent WAY TOO MUCH time reading and thinking (and over-thinking) about how I wanted to handle the Level 1 introduction to math. I can say that while I have some mild disagreements with the SE HIGs (ones that might qualify as "nit-picks") that what they distilled into one (or two) books was pretty close to what I'd come up with through countless hours of my own research, study, and thought.

They (the HIGs) I think are a boon to a parent who wants to teach this type of whole-parts math, but has not done so in the past, and who wants help rounding put the program and help in understanding the objectives of the lessons.

I would encourage parents who think they might benefit from teacher education to try them out. It does not help to start teaching Singqpore in a way that is simply "procedural" or one kinda misses the point of this style of mathematics. And it all starts from laying a good foundation at the beginning.

Bill