Menu

what is your favorite writing resource?

The longer I homeschool, the more I've come to respect Writing Strands, despite its drawbacks.

A resource (not a curriculum) that I have found useful is Writers Inc. It is in condensed, bulletin-ed style, which makes it fast for me to check something out. It also contains some samples.

The longer I homeschool, the more I've come to respect Writing Strands, despite its drawbacks.

A resource (not a curriculum) that I have found useful is Writers Inc. It is in condensed, bulletin-ed style, which makes it fast for me to check something out. It also contains some samples.

We tried Writing Strands this year, and then hit a wall. I was'nt sure what it was asking at some point. I felt totally lost with it and so did my dd

:iagree:I agree with all of this. Recently, I was practically ripping my hair out with 12yodd's literary essays. I finally pulled an old copy of WS 6 off the shelf and showed her a lesson on book reviews to do. It worked like a charm. She wrote a gorgeous paper.

Writers, Inc. is my kids' favorite writing reference.

Could my soon to be 11th grader jump into Writing Strands 6? I see it has more reports and those types of papers. We got thru WS 5 about half way till we gave up, but looknig at the table of contents I think level 6 may work. She already writes creatively wonderfully. She needs work on papers to be exact

My ds loves to write but he could not hang with WS. I tried to help and it made no sense to me either and I am a professional writer:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

The best writing curriculum for us so far has been IEW. However, I am not married to it because I am trying to teach my son to apply different techniques and styles as he may discover a new way of writing something that enhances his natural ability, making certain writing components easier, branching out into a new genre or type of writing, etc.

So, other writing curriculums I am eyeing are Wordsmith Craftsman, Bravewriter Help for HS, and Sentence Composing (the grammar one). For creative writing OYAN and IEW Lee Roddy stuff. There are so many choices!!!:D I think I'm definitely a curriculum junky!!!:lol:

Are you referring to this product? http://www.thewritesource.com/books/handbooks/writers_inc/

I'm not Nan but we like the Write Source handbooks, too.

At Amazon, you can use the Look Inside feature to see more of the Writers Inc. (copyright 2000) handbook.

Or on the Great Source site, you can see the table of contents of what is the 2005 copyright edition of Writers Inc.

Regards,

Karen

I'm not Nan but we like the Write Source handbooks, too.

At Amazon, you can use the Look Inside feature to see more of the Writers Inc. (copyright 2000) handbook.

Or on the Great Source site, you can see the table of contents of what is the 2005 copyright edition of Writers Inc.

Regards,

Karen

I have the grade level write source books along with writers inc. Are those the ones also you are referring to/

I felt like it wasn't working for us for a long time, too. I kept dropping it and then picking it up again because at least we did it. I didn't really appreciate it until we had done it for a few years. When we began great books, then I was very grateful to the series.

-Nan

Which one???? :)

I picked up a brilliant little book called "Writing to the Point" on Amazon.

A few years ago someone on this board recommended it and I found a copy. It was written by a college professor to teach his freshman students how to write. It teaches the formation of a thesis and step by step writing of a very tight paper.

It is one of my newfavorite resource for high school writing.

I picked up a brilliant little book called "Writing to the Point" on Amazon.

A few years ago someone on this board recommended it and I found a copy. It was written by a college professor to teach his freshman students how to write. It teaches the formation of a thesis and step by step writing of a very tight paper.

It is one of my newfavorite resource for high school writing.

Thanks! I will look for this

It is beginning to dawn on me that you probably aren't using the hybrid mode : )

The Oxford book. I have it, and it looks like the next step, but my son's writing is ok at this point (finally! -took a huge leap last year) and we are running out of time, so now I am just going to have him read Skunk and White, read A Rulebook for Arguments (which I like very much), and work a bit on the personal essay (the sort used for the SAT and college applications), and then we are going to switch to just using the writing and learning about it in context. He is headed for engineering and I think he needs more work on science and math and study skills.

-Nan