Menu

Which Latin is easy for self learning and can be done in short periods of time?

My Dd mentioned she wanted to learn Latin next year (11th grade). I never studied Latin so I can't help her with it.

I did a search on the forum and the choices that I am considering are Wheelocks, Henle, and So You Want to Learn Latin.

Dd will need something that will be easy and Wheelocks is very "big" and I don't think Dd will want to use it. It looks daunting to me-LOL.

For So You Want to Learn Latin... would my Dd start with Latin Prep Book 1 or Latin I?

Is Henle fairly easy to do in short periods of time or is it as daunting looking as Wheelocks???

Dd needs something that will be easy to do in short lessons. She often has several short periods of time through out the day and I don't want to add another class to her schedule that she will need a large block of time to complete a lesson.

Next year she will be doing:

1 credit English (not sure yet what she will be doing for this).

1 credit Precalculus

1 credit Biology

1 credit U.S. History

1 credit Chinese

1/2 credit Speech

1/2 credit U.S. Government

1/2 credit Worlds of Music: it is an introduction to the music of the world's people.

1/2 credit of Study of Counterpoint (music composition).

She will already be doing these 7 credits along with her music lessons/band and Kung Fu/P.E.

Thank you!!!

SY Latin Prep moves more slowly than SY Latin and is a little more user friendly. Have a look at the samples on the GP website to see if the humour would be too babyish and would put her off. SY Latin latter ends up covering more, but you probably wouldn't have time to get to the end of either course, so that's moot. A high schooler should be able to work pretty independently through LP1, so long as she applies herself. I can't see a problem with using it in short chunks. Have you thought about doing a Latin/Greek roots study instead? That might also meet her needs.

Abbeyej had a go at working out how to translate Latin Prep into US high school credits. This is what she wrote:

.....(Latin Prep 1-3 = ~ 2 years of American high school Latin), and So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 (which can be used after LP1-3) would count as an American high school Latin 3 class. You will also want to add some basic Roman history/culture in order to match the expectations for a high school language course. Students would be expected to know the basics of Roman government (and the evolution of that government), family structure, household, army and religion...

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Henle latin using the Memoria Press study guides is VERY doable independently! I am using it with my son, and I could very easily hand it to him if he was that type of student :001_huh: Seton Home Study School also sells a CD that has all chapters of the book, which we use for pronunciation, but I am pretty sure you could use the CD to do the entire book independently also, as long as you have the answer keys.

Which Latin is easy for self learning and can be done in short periods of time?

When I read your post, I'll confess the first thought that came to mind was Pig Latin!

I did a search on the forum and the choices that I am considering are Wheelocks, Henle, and So You Want to Learn Latin.

My daughter used Cambridge Latin (and loved it) in an out of the home class. She did use Wheelocks to review when she reached the AP level and seemed to find it fine.

Regards,

Kareni

Latin is not really the type of subject to be done in small chunks squeezed in-between "actual" subjects one is going to learn, if you get what I mean... Or you won't really progress anywhere or get something substantial out of it, so for what it's worth, you may as well only do a roots study or something along those lines?

We are using Wheelock's with Dale Grote's study guide and Wheelock's Workbook (I posted a link the other day with an anwser key for the text and the workbook). My ds (8th grade) is doing fine (I also bought the MODG syllabus, but it is not necessary). However, IMHO, Latin should be studied every day in order to really learn it. (My ds spends 45 min to an hour M-F and sometimes a little bit on the weekends). I am struggling because I can"t put all the time in that is needed (so ds helps me!!). The actual lessons in Wheelock's can be read in about 10-15 minutes, and you can work on the exercises at your own pace. I think it is a very easy text to implement, but it should be studied every day. Your dd already has a full load, but if she wants to give Latin a try I would go ahead and let her attempt it. Perhaps she could start over the summer and see how she likes it. Latin is a great language to study for the vocabulary alone!! Both my 5th grader dd and 8th grade ds understand the meaning of many words because they know Latin. I hope you fing a good fit for your daughter :). Blessings!!

Anita if she wants to add Latin, I'm not understanding why she'd have to do it in short time spans. Let's say she spends 15 minutes 3x a day, that's a total of 45 minutes. Why couldn't she just add it in and when she finishes one subject, just move onto the next instead of sticking to a schedule which has her with a fifteen minute break until the next subject is supposed to begin? Kwim? I think it's doable, but I think a block of time devoted to it is better for learning a language. I might be missing something as we don't have any subjects scheduled in a time block - all are worked on until the work is done for the day.

Just to clarify, the reason the small sections of time is because generally her schooling schedule is irratic over the week.

Monday she schools from 9am to noon, guitar/piano lesson from 1-1:30, chiropractor/PT from 2-2:45pm, kung fu from 4:45-about 9pm.

Tuesday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm. Band practice from 6pm to 9pm.

Wednesday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm, Kung Fu from 5pm to 9pm.

Thursday she schools from 9am to 11:30am... teen group from noon to 3pm, Kung Fu 4:45pm to 9pm.

Friday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm. Drum lesson from 5pm to 5:30pm. Kung Fu from 5:45pm to about 7pm.

Then she schools late nights and weekends as needed.

Weekends she fits in another band practice and Kung Fu tournaments occassionally, and sometimes she goes into Chicago and trains with another Kung Fu instructor for about 4 hours.

So I figured the Latin would be squeezed in when she has time.

I am thinking that she won't have time to do study Latin the way it should be done. So we will see...

J

I am thinking that she won't have time to do study Latin the way it should be done. So we will see...

Another thought is a book called Getting Started with Latin. I know it's not considered a 'real' Latin course, but it is a GREAT intro and has each lesson online to listen to! My son started with this, and even though not as in depth as Wheelock's or a full year book of Henle, it covers enough basic vocab and grammar that your dd WILL understand Latin, even if studied sporadically. My son retained an amazing amount when we did the book and honestly, we used it very sporadically. In fact, I heard that Henle was a great follow up for it but so far Henle is ONLY review of what we did in Getting Started. Just a though ;)

Another thought is a book called Getting Started with Latin. I know it's not considered a 'real' Latin course, but it is a GREAT intro and has each lesson online to listen to! My son started with this, and even though not as in depth as Wheelock's or a full year book of Henle, it covers enough basic vocab and grammar that your dd WILL understand Latin, even if studied sporadically. My son retained an amazing amount when we did the book and honestly, we used it very sporadically. In fact, I heard that Henle was a great follow up for it but so far Henle is ONLY review of what we did in Getting Started. Just a though ;)

I will check into this!!

Just to clarify, the reason the small sections of time is because generally her schooling schedule is irratic over the week.

Monday she schools from 9am to noon, guitar/piano lesson from 1-1:30, chiropractor/PT from 2-2:45pm, kung fu from 4:45-about 9pm.

Tuesday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm. Band practice from 6pm to 9pm.

Wednesday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm, Kung Fu from 5pm to 9pm.

Thursday she schools from 9am to 11:30am... teen group from noon to 3pm, Kung Fu 4:45pm to 9pm.

Friday she schools from 9am to noon, 1pm to 4pm. Drum lesson from 5pm to 5:30pm. Kung Fu from 5:45pm to about 7pm.

Then she schools late nights and weekends as needed.

Weekends she fits in another band practice and Kung Fu tournaments occassionally, and sometimes she goes into Chicago and trains with another Kung Fu instructor for about 4 hours.

Oh wow - that's some schedule!!! :svengo:

Based on that, I'd go with Henle or another that she can do on her own, and let her just work through it at her own pace - maybe using travel time.

Oh wow - that's some schedule!!! :svengo:

Based on that' date=' I'd go with Henle or another that she can do on her own, and let her just work through it at her own pace - maybe using travel time.[/quote']

Yes it is a tough schedule... which is why about every two weeks we make her stay home one night during the week. She doesn't like it but we figure she needs a evening to decompress.