Menu

If I purchase a download (MM), how do I "store" it long term?

Amie

This is probably computers/internet 101:o, but I need a little help. I have downloaded things for immediate use, but if I want to download the math I may use for the next 5+ years (for multiple children) how should I back it up? I know there are places for storage online, but can't I back it up on external memory? I am planning to purchase the entire MM download, but I guess I just feel a little nervous paying money for something sort of "invisible" that I'm supposed to be able to use long term (says the lady with a crashed laptop sitting on the shelf).

So what do you do? What are your favorite ways of keeping downloads available for all of your future needs?

Get a gmail account, and then upload it to Google Docs. It's free and my account has 7.5 gigabytes of space. You can access it from any computer, so if your main computer dies or something happens to your house, you'll always have your files.

As long as the storage device (flash drive, external hard drive, CD rom) you should be able to back it up to anything. I have all of my evan moor ebooks on a CDrom, and have some of my other downloadables on a flash drive as well. I think my dh even made a back to one of the 3 external hard drives he has.

We have a small (hand size) external hard drive. It hooks to your computer with a usb and is small enough to carry in your pocket. Yet, it can hold thousands of pictures and documents. You can get different sizes, but I think my husband just showed me a new one at Target that is in TB rather than in GB. Someone else who knows can give you exact numbers :) But the one he showed me was $99 and he said it would hold a lot. However, if you are just storing a small amount then you can get one MUCH cheaper. We always keep our pictures on this as well because if the computer crashes they will be lost on your computer. But if docs and pics are stored on the external drive then they are not able to be affected by viruses, etc.

Get a gmail account, and then upload it to Google Docs. It's free and my account has 7.5 gigabytes of space. You can access it from any computer, so if your main computer dies or something happens to your house, you'll always have your files.

Thank you! I actually have a gmail account and have used Google Docs for other things (very little), but I didn't realize I could use it in this way :o. Great idea.

I tried loading mine to google docs, but the pdf maximum was like 2.5MB which was WAY less than the grade 1A file.

I have a 4GB thumb drive that I keep copies on. I also have the items downloaded to our hard drive (because we have the room.) I probably should take some time to burn a CD copy... just to be on the safe side.

I tried loading mine to google docs, but the pdf maximum was like 2.5MB which was WAY less than the grade 1A file.

I have all of Math Mammoth Light Blue 1A and 1B on my google docs. Maybe you have to upload them separately and not all at once? I was able to get them all uploaded anyway.

Because I have it organized by subject, I also saw I had ALL of Miquon First Grade Diary, Notes to Teachers, Annotations, and Orange and Red on there too. Now that's a lot of files!

There are file limits, but there are very few things I haven't been able to upload. I see I also have the entire FLL PDFs years 1 and 2 on there, and the huge All About Homophones ebook as well.

We also buy external hard drives (2 terabytes each) to back up all our computers. But if our house burned down, or we were robbed, they'd be useless.

I have a 4GB thumb drive that I keep copies on. I also have the items downloaded to our hard drive (because we have the room.) I probably should take some time to burn a CD copy... just to be on the safe side.

I have 1A and 1B in there as two separate documents.

1A is 877KB and 1B is 1MB

I also have WWE 1 saved in Google Docs and it is 2MB.

Maybe you can try again.:)

Ah, here's my limit, I can upload files up to 1 gigabyte. Maybe it's different for others? I've been using gmail a long time...

"You can upload files up to 1024 MB. Files converted to Google Docs have smaller limits."

Mine also says 1024 MB and I just started using Google Docs (after seeing you recommend it several times :D). I actually don't even use gmail. I sign into Google with my hotmail account.

So I would think it should work for other people.

If Google Docs isn't working and the files are 25 MB or less, you can email them to your gmail account as an attachment.

When you upload the files to Google docs, you need to make sure the option is chosen not to convert them to Google docs format. Then you will be able to upload all of the files.

I agree with everyone else - store them on Google docs (oh so convenient!), burn a CD, put it on an external drive, use a flash drive, dropbox, multiple computers - there are so many ways to make sure you don't lose it.

I have mine on three computers, on a backup hard drive, in Google docs, and on Dropbox.