Menu

Would you ever wait in line over 8 hours

We almost waited that long for Star Wars Episode I tickets. However, we got some friends together and we took turns. We each only waited for an hour and then relieved each other. I was the final wait and got to be the one to actually BUY the tickets. What a rush!

Unfortunately, now that I have kids I can't pay for a sitter for 8 hours, so I won't be waiting for anything for that long until they're old enough to watch themselves.

But before I had kids, SURE, why not?! I never really understood people poo-pooing stuff like that. If I want to wait and am having fun getting into the spirit of it and enjoying myself, then just let me and keep your negativity to yourself. (Not "you" specifically--just the general "you" who poo-poo such things.)

:party:

I remember a thing Letterman did years ago in which he had his people stand in line outside at an unmarked door just to see what other people would do. Sure enough, before long a bunch of other people lined up and just stood there, even not knowing what it was for or how long they'd be there.

The audience laughed at them for their foolishness, and of course it was silly--but I salute the spirit of those who will stand in line for a thing, or who will throw stuff in a bag and jump on a plane last minute; people who are game to try anything, anywhere, anytime, who look for a reason to instead of a reason not to.

Of course, maybe my view has developed because I grew up in a country where people don't do lines, period. Lines are for fools who don't know how to push forward boldly enough. :D

I stood in line for 12 hours for the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, with DD in a sling. For a while I was holding the spot for both DH and I because he was at work, and he brought me food, etc.

I've stood in line 6+ hours for the other LOTR movies and the Star Wars prequel trilogy movies as well. It's kind of a fun thing to do, in a wierd way, because you're there with other fans and you get to talking, etc. In one such line I helped a high school kid with his chem homework while we waited; in another (same theater, diff movie), said kid and his friends taught me how to play Liar's Dice.

I couldn't see waiting in lines like that for a gadget, though.

DH did 4 hours for a Wii, though they passed out tickets and then everyone went to their cars to wait. He wasn't willing to do the extreme lines for it, but figured he was willing to wait 4 hours for one. This was about 4 or so months after the Wii came out and demand was not coming down for them yet. Of course we rarely use the Wii since we prefer the Xbox360.

I won't say I would never wait 8 hours in line for something, but for most gadgets I am willing to wait a few weeks till I don't have to wait in extreme lines for them. I just don't see it happening except in an extreme circumstance. I have sat online trying to get on a website for 5+ hours to get theater tickets before I will admit, but I can at least do other things while doing that one.

I have always made may brother and cousin wait in line for the Star Wars movies and joined them the last hour :) My excuse was I had kids. (They were going to stand in line anyway.)

If it was something I really wanted I might wait for a few hours but there is no way I could handle the overnight waiting. My back and neck are too messed up from an accident.

I think I am just too impatient. I have to scope out the fastest line just to buy milk, so the idea of waiting in line for hours for anything gives me chills!

One of my kid's friends waited in line for 6 hours recently to get in to Carlo's Bakery (from the Cake Boss show). They bought a couple of cakes, and thought it was a fabulous day. Different strokes.

Wait, WHAT????????

You had to wait in line for that??????

Dawn

Yes! It was the early 80's and interest rates were very high... 15-16%. Waiting in line to get this special rate would lower our payment substantially so it was definitely worth it. We met other people there who were building in the same subdivision so I guess it was a good way to meet neighbors too. lol I think it was subsidized by the government and very limited as to the amount available. It's hard to believe now that 10% would make you wait in line!

We sold that house after 2 1/2 years when things were much better and we built the house we still live in today.