Menu

Where can I see English examples of Japanese math?

Irishmommy

Thanks! It does look great. So, if I was going to use it as a supplement for Math Mammoth, would I just get the workbooks, or would I need the text too?

I have both(Japanese Math), but none Math Mammoth, and if just one then text books for the more complete methods. However the downloadable answer key for the workbooks would be something to consider in their favor, however If you want a better idea of the contrast of Japanese methods than I think diligent study of the textbooks is about the only thing available to us that are english speakers and readers.

There are also translation series for grades 7,8,9 available from http://ucsmp.uchicago.edu/Transl.html, as well as for texts for the higher grades available from American Mathematical Society.

All had Kodaira as the editor (I think) http://www.ams.org/bookstore-getitem/item=MAWRLD-8

Humm, since I'd like it as a supplemental program, I'm sort of leaning toward the workbooks. I don't want to ditch MM totally, but I'd like to give my son a taste of what his Japanese cousin learns as far as math; plus I think he'd like the different approach.

My dd would totally dig the manipulatives for Grade 1, but I'm already doing Miquon with her, and this seems similar.

Can you tell me more about your experience with it?

I have tried to answer this in the past, and each time came away thinking I missed my mark so...as long as you don't expect to much: :tongue_smilie:

1) we still use it

2) it is not our primary resource

3) for youngest it is a go to resource for background knowledge, example between counting on in order, and number bonds there are intermediate steps the learner uses to make these connections, these books do not leave those steps out, the adult just needs to be more thoughtful while wondering why certain pictures or illustration are shown as the texts do not have instructor guides.

4) for eldest it is a resource to accelerate how-to-do, example: DD needed some intel on decimals to support her learning in a different book, we pulled that from JM texts and used the workbooks to verify she could arrive at the 'what' (answers).

5) I like having the entire series hand, example: neither the Shoseki or U.S. Ed. Singapore books cover negative numbers, by seeing the entire program laid out worries of this nature are a non factor because the route and destination known. Not that one has to follow this layout,just another choice.

Edited by Ray

ACK. I am right there with you. Looks great! I am actually liking Dojinsha's workbooks a lot!

So, are you already using them? One thing that concerns me about the workbooks is there is no teacher instruction. I might not know how to teach the page if I don't have the instructions. You know, I'll know how to get the answer, but I won't know how to effectively teach it to the kiddos.

I have tried to answer this in the past, and each time came away thinking I missed my mark so...as long as you don't expect to much: :tongue_smilie:

1) we still use it

2) it is not our primary resource

3) for youngest it is a go to resource for background knowledge, example between counting on in order, and number bonds there are intermediate steps the learner uses to make these connections, these books do not leave those steps out, the adult just needs to be more thoughtful while wondering why certain pictures or illustration are shown as the texts do not have instructor guides.

4) for eldest it is a resource to accelerate how-to-do, example: DD needed some intel on decimals to support her learning in a different book, we pulled that from JM texts and used the workbooks to verify she could arrive at the 'what' (answers).

5) I like having the entire series hand, example: neither the Shoseki or U.S. Ed. Singapore books cover negative numbers, by seeing the entire program laid out worries of this nature are a non factor because the route and destination known. Not that one has to follow this layout,just another choice.

Thanks, that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I previously found this part of Global Education Resources that has excerpts from the book, dealing with geometry.

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/books/math_elementary/topics.html

You can also see all the answer files, which gives you some amount of insight into what's in the books.

I will also proceed to re-post this from me, with a couple other excerpts of another math program that follows the Japanese national curriculum (in this thread):

I found the other Japanese (link1) elementary text (link 2) that has been translated into English, from Gakkoh Tosho; the images shown in that article are from the Gakkoh Tosho books, not from the Tokyo Shoseki series previously discussed in this thread. From the publisher, a one-page excerpt and a tiny amount of information:

http://www.gakuto.co.jp/20050131e/index.html

They are supposedly solely distributed in the US by the New York Kinokuniya. I found them in their catalog. Their list price is 980 yen, including tax in Japan. (Kinokuniya has the one-semester text for about $14 each.) They showed up in two different Japanese bookstores that I know of that ship internationally, as well (amazon japan and bk1). Here are the ISBN numbers.

Grade 1: 4762509140

Grade 2A: 4762509159

Grade 2B: 4762509167

Grade 3A: 4762509175

Grade 3B: 4762509183

Grade 4A: 4762509191

Grade 4B: 4762509205

Grade 5A: 4762509213

Grade 5B: 4762509221

Grade 6A: 476250923X

Grade 6B: 4762509248

(I bought year 1 workbooks but we only used book A.)

I'm with you there Angela; these examples look great. In a way, can I say that just from the few examples that I saw, this Japanese math program seems just slightly more clear in the way it represents some concepts than Singapore or Math Mammoth? It looks like I'll have some reading to do this week....and possibly some purchasing.

...I like having the entire series hand, example: neither the Shoseki or U.S. Ed. Singapore books cover negative numbers, by seeing the entire program laid out worries of this nature are a non factor because the route and destination known..

Is there a Scope-and-Sequence document for these books so that we can compare them to Singapore or MEP, for instance?

TIA

Go to each book and then click on topics covered

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/books/math_elementary/topics.html < -- text

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/books/dojinsha-files/topics-covered.pdf <-- workbook

These are basically standard per the Japanese national curriculum so they match up.

Stripe, I just read your thread from 2008 and just have to say you really did your research! Thanks!

By the way, are you using these Japanese math books with other math curriculum? I have a few, ahem, and honestly each one provides a slightly different way for DD to understand and reinforce math concepts, so I'm very tempted with this.

I bought year 1 workbook (not text) but only did about 3/4 of the first workbook. I loved the book in theory but felt what we were doing wasn't enough for my kid to understand things at a deeper level, which could entirely be blamed on me rather than the book. I ended up feeling that the detailed lesson plans in MEP provided a more robust way of understanding addition, but I also greatly preferred the segment devoted to numbers less than 10 in MEP. I (and my child) found the stuff on the teen numbers deadeningly boring (I posted on here about it and found some other posts on other threads where other people said the same thing, incidentally, so I think this is a weak spot in their plan). I supplemented with Math Mammoth and skipped about 2 weeks of MEP that I felt completely snore-worthy. I am currently using Math Mammoth (the blue series) for addition/subtraction practice and metric measurements, and the materials from NCERT (from India) for some other topics, plus various supplementary math activities of my own design, but we may shortly resume MEP Y2, skipping about the first 5 weeks or so.

Conclusion: I wish I were using the Japanese materials as I felt they were where my heart was/is, but it wasn't working for some reason. If I had a parallel universe, I would be a Japanese elementary school teacher. Seriously. I think they are the coolest. But I am so far short of this goal.

I understand the idea of wanting to see different books. I have the Singapore (3rd ed) texts for reference.

I cannot believe I posted about this in 2008. Ugh.

Edited by stripe

Go to each book and then click on topics covered

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/books/math_elementary/topics.html < -- text

http://www.globaledresources.com/products/books/dojinsha-files/topics-covered.pdf <-- workbook

These are basically standard per the Japanese national curriculum so they match up.

Thank you! I had been clicked only the "Take a Peek Inside.." link and didnt see this info.

If I had a parallel universe, I would be a Japanese elementary school teacher. Seriously.

:lol: Oh the dreams we all have. Maybe when you retire from homeschooling.

Thanks for giving me details of what you are doing with your child. We've been using MEP more now because I suddenly noticed that they have problems in MEP2 that my other books don't have at all (and I have quite a few).