Menu

Tell me what I want for math!

lanabug

Background: DD will be 6 in mid-October, so she'll "officially" be a kindergartner this fall. We currently are 3/4 of the way through MEP Reception, which is going okay. She likes the pictures, but isn't fond of the mental math exercises. We also use Miquon on occasion. I think I'd like to keep using both of these as supplements.

I'm 90% sure we're going with Singapore, but I'm confused on which version to go with. Do I get Earlybird or Essentials? And what are the "have-to-have" items?

On the other hand, it would be wonderful if I could use MEP as our main program, since it's free. Is it thorough enough to do that?

I'm also curious about Math Mammoth and CLE math. What can you tell me about these two programs?

Thanks for helping this newbie out! My head has been spinning the last several days as I have been researching and trying to narrow my choices down before convention next month!

Lana

:bigear:

Give you a bump!

I was wondering about Singapore as well. But we were looking in to the 1A book. I'm so confused on the options-the Standard? the US Edition? Do I need the Teacher Manual or the Home Instruction Manual? Manipulatives?

I feel a little lost about Singapore too. Hope someone answers! :001_smile:

Thanks for the bump and the responses!

Any particular reason for skipping the K math and going straight to 1A?

I've decided against Math Mammoth for now, but am still interested in CLE if anyone can tell me more about that.

Thanks again!

Lana

If you want to get Singapore K, I would get the Essentials book B. A will probably be too easy after doing MEP reception. You could then jump into 1a, or just skip the K all together if she is ready. Check the Singapore site for samples and scope and sequence that might help you decide.

Thanks for the bump and the responses!

Any particular reason for skipping the K math and going straight to 1A?

I've decided against Math Mammoth for now, but am still interested in CLE if anyone can tell me more about that.

Thanks again!

Lana

The EB books would probably be too easy (and uninteresting) at this stage.

Much of the material is a a Pre-K level in terms of difficulty, but isn't really what a child needs developmentally to be excited about math at a young age. The books are very "workbooky" in the worst sence of the word. Some (much) feels like "busy-work" and other things just seem out of sync with the stage of child development.

Miquon and MEP are much more interesting and useful lead-ins to the Primary Math series. EBs value (to me) is pretty much limited to getting a child accustomed to working in workbooks. And they have a lifetime to learn that.

I'm probably making EB sound worse than it is (it is not horrible) but you have better tools on hand to excite a young learner. We dumped EB and started Primary Mathematics 1A SE in Kindergarten and that was a good move here.

Bill

CLE doesn't have a kindergarten math so you would start with 1st grade--which I think would be OK at age 6. My son will be 6 next fall and move into 1st. I'm using BJU for K math and we'll start CLE next fall. We really like CLE for DS8 but then will eventually transition into Saxon for the upper levels. (DD uses Saxon 76). It is a very different approach than MEP and Singapore from what I can tell when I was comparing.

If you like MEP, there is no need to switch to a different curriculum. It is enough on its own. Supplementing with Miquon would probably work well, given that they have a similar attitude (exploratory, problem-solving).

We are just finishing up MEP 1b and my daughter's math skills are excellent. The only thing we have supplemented with is fact drill practice using free online computer games, plus a little detour into multiplication from Miquon Red because she wanted to learn to multiply. We're planning to add Singapore Challenging Word Problems as a supplement to MEP 2, but only because my daughter enjoys word problems.