Menu

What are your thoughts about Memoria Press / Famous Men

:)

They are great books for the second go-round (late elem to middle school). They mostly focus on western civilization as opposed to a broader world history study. I wouldn't use them exclusively for history studies, but they would do well either as a spine or as additions.

My 3rd and 5th grade boys read Famous Men of Greece as a supplement to our studies of Ancient Greece and are currently reading the Famous Men of Rome to supplement our Roman Studies. (We also use SOTW, the Kingfisher & Usborne Encyclopedias, and a ton of other books.) I wouldn't use either book as my sole history source.

You've answered all of my questions; sounds like they're a good resource, kids enjoy them, they're appropriate for students in the logic stage, and would be a good supplement to our history spine (SOTW for ds 8; Kingfisher for ds 11).

Thanks again!

You've answered all of my questions; sounds like they're a good resource, kids enjoy them, they're appropriate for students in the logic stage, and would be a good supplement to our history spine (SOTW for ds 8; Kingfisher for ds 11).

Thanks again!

Did you know the text (or at least all the original text) is available for free from the Baldwin Project? Just google the titles.

Thank you - I didn't know that :)

Sorry, I didn't have time to leave a link yesterday. This is the Baldwin Project page for the Famous Men books. This will be text only. The originals had some illustrations. The Greenleaf and Memoria Press books add some maps and illustrations (I think more in the Memoria books than in Greenleaf).

The Middle Ages titles that have been reprinted include additional chapters above what were in the originals. The Famous Men of the Renaissance and Reformation title is a newer book written by one of the owners of Greenleaf Press. It seems that Memoria uses the Famous Men of Modern Times to cover this period.

There was a thread recently on the K8 Curriculum board about the difference between the different versions.

The Baldwin Project also has a number of other out of copyright children's books. There are some great stories there. There are also some books that represent an outlook on life that you might consider outdated and others that might owe more to historical legends than to research, so do preread.