Menu

Fund-raising ideas for a mission trip

My family going with a group from our church to Trinidad for a mission trip. We will be running a Bible camp for local children.

We are needing ideas for fund-raisers. We are already sending out letters and doing a meal at the church. We have a wide variety of ages in our group- youngest is 4 and the oldest is in his 60's. We also have a wide variety of skills. What ideas do you have for me?

I received cupcakes in a jar today as part of a mission fundraiser. They were delicious and easy to market using facebook, friends and family.

I am not sure how they are made, but basically they are already cooked cupcakes layered into a canning jar with a mission label and a plastic spoon atttached. I paid $10 for each of them, and bought quite a few to send to deployed military. I imagine that the profit was high, but that also depends on the cost of mailing to those that bought them?

Why not let people, especially your church know that you are looking for odd jobs to do and fundraising for your trip. I've done this as a teen and washed windows, helped pack a moving van, cleaned a house after someone moved. People then "donated" money. Most donated more than if they had just paid someone to do the job. They got chores done and we raised funds for the trip. It worked really well.

Why not let people, especially your church know that you are looking for odd jobs to do and fundraising for your trip. I've done this as a teen and washed windows, helped pack a moving van, cleaned a house after someone moved. People then "donated" money. Most donated more than if they had just paid someone to do the job. They got chores done and we raised funds for the trip. It worked really well.

:iagree:

We've done a coffeehouse, where Starbucks donates coffee and the teens (missioners) bring a sweet, then people from the congregation perform. It doesn't have to be just the ones going on mission. I think we made $500.

We have bake sales for the Super Bowl and one other time. We don't price the items--people give much more.

We hold a huge garage sale, and make about 3K from that.

The kids rake leaves and do odd jobs--usually they can make at least half their $ that way (we go with Group, and it's about $250 a kid, which they raise).

We also do a couple of parents-night-out evenings, where we provide childcare at the church and people pay what they can. I think the first time we did it, we had about 25 kids, and made around $5-6 hundred dollars. We put some kids in the nursery (the littlest), some played in the SS rooms (we set up a little dramatic play area, had playdough on a table, put out some construction toys, had a snack, played board games, had a big mural to color...), and of course we used the church playground. We ran it from 6pm to 10pm, and we had the kids bring their jammies and toothbrushes, so teeth were brushed and jammies on when the parents picked them up. We ran a video for the last hour.

There are copyright issues to trying to do a movie night. Even if you aren't charging people you have to have permission to show the movie. I don't know the details, but just know that it's easier to show some movies like Facing the Giants than a typical Hollywood movie. You would need to check into the legalities.

A huge garage sale can bring in a lot. Our church used to do one every year. People liked having a place to bring stuff they didn't need anymore and it was also appreciated by the people who came to buy. We don't do it anymore simply because it is a lot of work and no one wants to organize it! We made $1,000-$3,000 depending on the year and the quality of "stuff" we had available.