Menu

Pencil Sharpener lasted only 9 months.

Yeah, I had one that only lasted a couple of weeks. Cheap thing... couldn't sharpen a paint brush! I don't even want to discuss pencil sharpeners. We use the dinky little plastic ones because I got tired of spending $20 every couple of weeks on electric ones because my boys are constantly breaking, chewing on, etc. pencils.

I don't think I'd expect any pencil sharpener, no matter how well made, to hold up to having non-pencils jammed in it. That said, our Xacto has held up well.

I got so fed up with the cheap pencil sharpeners that kept breaking, I finally spent the money on an Xacto Powerhouse. It worked fine for a few months and then began sharpening the pencils only on one side. I'll twist the pencil around while sharpening, but it still winds up with wood down to the point on one side. The funny thing is that at least it's still working- most of mine have died by now.

I'm wondering if the sharpener has gotten whopsided in there. It's very discouraging to spend the money to buy what is supposed to be one of the best items offered out there and then it doesn't do the job.

CalicoKat, I hope you find a good one. Let us know if you do.

We have an X-acto (I think we tried to go with one that was pretty much exactly in the middle of available X-actos in price), and it's held up very well for going on 2 years now. We haven't put a pen in it, but DS5 did try to sharpen the eraser end of the pencil once; the metal band pulled off the pencil and got stuck, and DH managed to get it out somehow, and it seems none the worse for wear (the sharpener, not the eraser. The eraser did not survive the incident).