Menu

Pi is a lie, really!

Join the Tau day movement! Watch here and stop making excuses for pi :lol:

Happy Half Tau Day!

It should be obvious that π is not “wrong” in the sense of being factually incorrect; the number π is perfectly well-defined, and it has all the properties normally ascribed to it by mathematicians. When we say that “π is wrong”, we mean that π is a confusing and unnatural choice for the circle constant. In particular, since a circle is defined as the set of points a fixed distance—the radius—from a given point, a more natural definition for the circle constant uses r in place of D:

circle constant≡Cr.

Because the diameter of a circle is twice its radius, this number is numerically equal to 2π. Like π, it is transcendental and hence irrational, and (as we’ll see in Section 2) its use in mathematics is similarly widespread. more here

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Dh says, "It's a 'pi"rony." "She wants us to tau a different line."

Ds (12) says, "Mom, she's really smart and right."

I just snickered completely and while I followed the math quite well, I spent too much time thinking about how nice her pies looked, how flaky the crust appeared to be! Snicker, snicker

Thanks for posting!

Faith

I just snickered completely and while I followed the math quite well, I spent too much time thinking about how nice her pies looked, how flaky the crust appeared to be! Snicker, snicker

Thanks for posting!

Faith

Your dh is funny! :lol:

Your son might enjoy her Math Doodles.

Thanks for posting!

Faith

:lol: