Menu

Horizons math

We have been using Horizons math for three years now and are pretty happy with it. However there are a few concerns I have.

#1- Doesn't teach any mental math... it is all done by memorization. I had to supplement with other programs to get the mental math I wanted to teach taught.

#2- I have heard that it isn't good after grade four. So I am worried that we will have to switch after that and that isn't a good time to switch math programs.

So I guess I am wanting to hear from families who have used it and know what it is like all the way through. Is it just a rumor that it isn't good after 4th?

Also does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a program like Horizons, only with mental math included? I have been thinking of using Horizons as our core program and then adding in some math mammoth for mental math?

Any thoughts? Or experience?

Why can't you just add in some daily mental math practice without adding in another program?

Like Have you child get out a piece of paper and you tell them now without using your hands or anything else I want you to figure out these problems. Now McRuffy has the child put letters down the side like a-j instead of number for the problems , then you say the math problem and they only write the answer down. So, you can say 9 plus 5. Only say the problem a couple times, then move on once they have it. You can do it with any type of math.

a

b

c

d

I actually like it BETTER for levels 4-6. What some people may not like is that these levels also include an occasional scripture verse built into a puzzle (also lots of jokes/riddles in puzzles). The upper levels do a better job of explaining things to kids.

As to mental math...I think the upper level story problems are more difficult, so maybe those will be more to your liking. For the most part, I have more trouble getting my kids to show their work than anything--they want to do it all in their heads and write an answer, and then you don't know how they got there if it was wrong. The upper levels include lots of work with estimating too, and I find we naturally talk through instances when that's a helpful skill to use.

Level 6 occasionally has an issue that I think could be clarified by better directions or more intermediate steps shown to the student. Enough issues that make me not love 6 as much as levels 4 & 5, but not so much that it would make me not choose to use it again (I'll be using it again next year as a matter of fact).

HTH some! Merry :-)

Well, I've used 1-6 for one child and k-3 (so far) with the other, and I'm very happy with Horizons. I did add in Singapore at times for the word problems / mental math / depth of thought, but I find there are so few problems in Singapore (even when using some of the supplements like CWP and IP) that it layers easily over a program like Horizons. I think they complement each other well.

I don't know why some people dislike the higher levels of Horizons. It's a challenging program, but not impossible. Ds went pretty much straight from Horizons 6 (with a little supplementation from some Key to books -- just a few weeks worth, really) to Algebra 1 and did quite well. My daughter finds math more challenging and may need an extra year in there, but we'll see -- she's just a very different math student.

I use Horizons math (we're currently working on level 5).

I've opted to use this FREE mental math program. I print out the entire year's worth of exercises and make a little sticker chart for each of my kids. If they get all of the problems correct (usually there are 5 or 6), then they earn a sticker.

As I compare level 4 and level 5, there is more explained to the student in level 5 than level 4. If you use the TM to the fullest, students should get plenty of practice. I use some of the worksheets and make them timed "quizzes" to motivate my ds to try to move through them more quickly.

When we finished level 4, I remember contemplating a switch to a different program. I went ahead and orded Horizons 5 and was delighted when I saw the book. Level 5 focuses more on abstract concepts and helps kids apply math rules to various problems. The word problems do seem more difficult, although I'm sure there not as involved as those in Singapore. My son likes the puzzles and I appreciate the critical thinking that he has to do to complete them.

I agree with the previous posters, you can always supplement with mental math and/or a story problem workbook. Especially if Horizons has worked for you thus far.

I have been using Horizons with my son, and I agree that it is lacking in a few areas, especially the mental math. I am definitely going to use MM, I like the way it teaches this, and even better that it is on sale. :) I was able to look at the level my son would be in, and I can see many lessons that he would benefit from, and I like that I can pick and choose and just print.

I am hoping to completely switch over by level 4. I am not sure about the actual math at that level, but it is no longer secular, and that won't work for us.

I think MM would be a good choice for you because it is so cheap now during the co-op, so even if you only need a few pages here and there, it isn't a big expense. And you will have all of the levels if you will need them for other children, or if you decide to switch over to MM.

HTH!

I actually like it BETTER for levels 4-6. What some people may not like is that these levels also include an occasional scripture verse built into a puzzle (also lots of jokes/riddles in puzzles). The upper levels do a better job of explaining things to kids.

:iagree: I love Horizons and am using it w/my yougest two kids. I don't like it as well for level 2---too much addition---but we got through it.

We do mental math on the run, but I also tell the kids complete some of the word problems be completed "in your head."

I have done a lot of math research and Horizons is my favorite traditional curric. It's worked well with the super-fast, pretty-fast and just right math workers in my house.

My ds started Horizons 4 after Saxon 3. After Horizons 6 he spent 6 months on some pre-algebra/stats/problem solving then right into algebra with no problems. I think he was well prepared.

When I said Mental Math, I was referring to math strategies mainly. Although I do like the website recommended for free mental math printables. Great idea!

I am talking more along the lines of the 8's trick for addition and other math tricks used to just make math easier to be done in your head. I don't think like this since I only learned the traditional way, so I wanted something to help me show him the tricks :) Do you think Math mammoth supplements would do this? Or maybe a book that would teach me the tricks and then I could show them to him and we could stick with horizons.

Edited by joyfulhomeschooler

lol, don't worry, I don't have 8 tricks either.

I was referring to the 8's trick with addition. We learned it in RS level B (we did this alongside horizons for mental math) Exp: 48+7= take 2 from the 7 to make the 48 a 50. So then you have 50+5. Horizons taught this in a more traditional way with carrying. Good to know both ways I think. There are other tricks out there for mental math... and I was never taught them so I want a curriculum/supplement that will. Make sense?