Menu

Would it worry you that the college didn't want anything "extra"

Hunter's Moon

This may sound silly but here it goes.

I spoke with the Admissions Director of my first choice college the other day and asked her specifically what I would need since I was PS'd up until 11th grade and 11th and 12th would be at home. She said all I need is my PS transcript sent to them, make up our homeschool transcript (for only 11th and 12th grade) and send it to them, and take the SAT. They also have a GPA (2.8) and SAT score (1000 Critical Reading and Math) cut-off but I'm not too worried as this school isn't very selective. The SAT Writing Score is used for English Placement only.

She said no course descriptions or anything else is needed.

I'm worried that without the course descriptions and homeschool philosophy page and other things, I won't be able to show what I did and exactly how I earned the grades I did.

On the homeschool transcript, activities and test grades will be included, but that is about all I am submitting.

Is it crazy for me to worry over this? I just feel like I won't have a chance to "shine" and that it looks a bit odd that we switched to homeschooling with only two years left (I do know two people using homeschooling as an excuse for dropping out).

I will be scheduling an interview in the Fall, so maybe I'll "shine" there, but I just feel like without a chance to explain myself, I don't have much of a chance especially with the schools around here offering AP courses and stuff.

Thanks.

Admission is one thing, scholarships may be another.

Does this school give merit aid? Are you seeking it?

Yes, they do.

They have a merit aid calculator on their site, and I did it (they ask for GPA and SAT scores) and it said my scores should qualify me for a Presidential Grant of $15,000.00. That is just an estimate, but they do offer it. It is also renewed every year as long as the student maintains a 2.0 GPA. Their full cost (for a resident which I'll be) is $39,130 so there would still be more than half to pay.

I believe their site says (and I'll have to double check) that all students are automatically processed to see if they will receive merit aid, so no separate paper work is needed, just the admissions requirements. The merit aid decision is sent with your acceptance, but I think all schools do that. I will be applying for FAFSA in January though.

Oh, I forgot to mention, a recommendation is needed as well.

ETA: Found it on their site:

Each admitted freshman applicant is considered for a merit scholarship that is based on a combination of SAT scores and high school grade point average.
Admitted applicants are notified of their merit scholarship amount at the time of their admission. By completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) you will be considered for additional need-based aid.

Also, can someone explain what this means?:

Please note: If a freshman qualifies for a merit scholarship, the higher scholarship amount will prevail but cannot be combined with other scholarships.

I though all Merit Aid was combined? Do they offer separate scholarships and you get the highest one if you qualify?

Thanks!

Edited by BeatleMania

Dd was private homeschooled and their transcript just showed class and grade and of course date taken, no description.

On the scholarships, they base all aid whether it be college or federal assistance on what you fill in. Its all taken into consideration as a whole.

Many colleges do things this way so I wouldn't be worried in the least, esp if my test scores were decent. If I thought I was on the "bubble" I'd probably send more info even if they didn't ask.

Most colleges have their own applications and/or interviews for merit aid if it's competitive. If it's not competitive, then it's probably based on scores as I think it showed in your later quotes.

And, one of their later quotes says merit aid is not stacked. Therefore, you can't win two awards and combine them to make a larger award.

Stephanie,

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Does this school use the Common Application? If so, and you are a homeschooler, you will most likely be asked to fill out the homeschool supplement, which asks about homeschool philosophy.

They may have only asked for your last 2 years transcript of courses, but it's up to you what you send. If you think that including some brief course descriptions for your "at home" courses would strengthen your application, then I'd suggest sending them anyway.

Unless this school awards scholarships based only on grades & scores, I agree that sending more details about what you did at home and why would strengthen your package.

Best wishes,

Brenda