Menu

Draw w/ Children or Meet the Masters

sewpeaceful

My 9yo dd loves to color and draw but frankly, it has become clear, it is time to get the kid some training. Kinders can draw as well if not better. Sorry. I also love the idea of some art history. Hmmm.....

Can anyone chime in on Draw w/ Children and or Meet the Masters? Good experience? Bad experience? Does DWC introduce the student to different mediums like pastels, etc or just pencil drawings? I know MTM uses different mediums.

If y'all haven't figured out... I'm bored recovering in bed and decided this was the best time to research and rework curriculum. :D

We tried Drawing With Children a few times. Just never happened. It's an extremely difficult book to implement. I read the whole book a few times. It mostly uses pencil and gets your child drawing realisticly.

Then we did Meet the Masters and that was easy and fun! Love it.

For actual drawing lessons, we're using Mark Kistler online. Try out a few of his free lessons. If your child likes him, then head on over to the Homeschool Buyers Co-op and get a 3-year subscription for your whole family for just $39.60.

For anyone who cares, I just discovered Meet the Masters is ALSO on 50% off on Homeschool Buyers Co-op. There are 6 different packs to choose from. So instead of $90ish for a 3 pack, it is $45. If you haven't heard, math mammoth is on at 40% off right now. The ONLY difference between purchasing it on HSBC and from the vendor, besides the price, is the HSBC is only a 3 year registration where buying from the vendor, right now, is lifetime, but that is expected to change soon, per the vendor.

I also found the art supplies pack needed for each of the tracks on Rainbow Resource pretty reasonable. What a relief to not have to go shopping for all that stuff, espcially since I can't drive for another week or so, let alone shop.

We tried Drawing With Children a few times. Just never happened. It's an extremely difficult book to implement. I read the whole book a few times. It mostly uses pencil and gets your child drawing realisticly.

Then we did Meet the Masters and that was easy and fun! Love it.

For actual drawing lessons, we're using Mark Kistler online. Try out a few of his free lessons. If your child likes him, then head on over to the Homeschool Buyers Co-op and get a 3-year subscription for your whole family for just $39.60.

Angela, you are just a plethora of info! Thanks! I'll look at Kistler with my oldest this afternoon. I think I will still do the MTM since it is also on bargain pricing at HSBC right now.

Well, I did it. I bought the MTM and Mark Kistler at half off each on HSBC. I will pop over to RR and purchase the art supply kits just to save me from shopping so the kids can get going, especially since a Monet exhibit is in town right now (love it!). You guys have helped a ton! Thanks!

My DD loves MTM and Mark Kistler. We also love the Draw Write Now series of books.

We started out the year with just Meet the Masters.. I like the program but didn't feel that it was heavy in the drawing/art instruction aspect. I added in Draw Write Now and my older child likes that but my 6 year old struggles. I just recently added Mark Kistler for the oldest child and he LOVES it (he is nearly 10) but I think that even his Mini Marshmallow lessons would be beyond my 6 year old's ability..

I am looking at also adding the How Great Thou Art series as a supplement for the Mark Lessons for the oldest. He can do an online lesson and then a HGTA lesson during the week.

I have the Drawing With Children book.. and also the Using Children's Literature in Art book.. but they look complicated..

I wish I could find something my 6 year old would feel successful at...

I purchased the Drawing with Children book and promptly sold it. I needed something with a bit more hand holding, and DWC was NOT it. It just looked so complicated and, well, not fun. I don't know much about Meet the Masters, but I highly recommend Artistic Pursuits! We are using this program and love it. My oldest love to draw as well. She is constantly illustrating the latest book I read to her. :001_smile:

I have a page that outlines how to use the Drawing With Children book if you are still thinking about using it. I love the book myself and even though it does assume some motivation by the parent, I think it can be broken down to easy bite size lessons for the children to explore.

Here you go: Drawing With Children - Printable Lessons

I also have this one for Mark Kistler's Draw Squad.

Hope that helps someone with their art plans. :)

Harmonyartmom.... THanks for the lesson plans. We have been stagnating after doing DWC chapters 1 & 2 this year. My girls have been asking when we are going to start a new art lesson. This may give me the help I need to start chapter 3!!

OP>> We really have loved doing DWC. I don't have experience with the others. But we have learned a lot and have really enjoyed the projects. My dds have been able to transfer the skills they have learned to projects of their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this old thread with a question..

For 'Meet the Masters' users - is the online access for files which can be saved for later use (images, pdfs) or is it for videos?

I have some HSBC smart points to use, and this looks nice but not sure how much DS (5 years old) would get out of it now. Between the smartpoints' expiration and the uncertainty of how long the 50% discount will last, maybe I ought to just buy it. But I've made impulse decisions in the past too, which I've regretted. :glare: