Menu

Anyone have problems with Teaching Textbooks?

Just curious....my daughter loves TT 3, loves it, we are getting ready to go into TT4, she gets great scores but I was curious about place value and multiplication because she seems to have a struggle w/ those issues.

I went to math mammoth website and wow...their level 2 placement test was too hard for her, is TT that far behind or am I missing something. Now..she did well on some parts of the level 2 test but others were like..she has no idea and she gets 90-100% on her TT 3 lessons.

Just curious...

Kim

Just curious....my daughter loves TT 3, loves it, we are getting ready to go into TT4, she gets great scores but I was curious about place value and multiplication because she seems to have a struggle w/ those issues.

I went to math mammoth website and wow...their level 2 placement test was too hard for her, is TT that far behind or am I missing something. Now..she did well on some parts of the level 2 test but others were like..she has no idea and she gets 90-100% on her TT 3 lessons.

Just curious...

Kim

TT is behind, and MM is ahead. Hence the huge difference between the two. Also I think MM teaches in a different way than TT.

I like MM but it didn't click with my daughter, so we switched to TT. She does better with it, I think because there is far less reading involved.

That is a good idea...I was just surprised because she does do very well w/ TT but is really struggling w/ word problems and the addition she was doing w/ TT on the computer, she struggled w/ on paper w/ MM?

It is just confusing....I want to make sure she is solid, especially in lower level math.

Kim

You did know that the MM placement test was an exit test right? So if she passed level 2, she would go into 3. I'm not surprised in the least that MM 2 contains topics not in TT3. It is quite advanced.

My dd is in 4B, and tested (handily) into Saxon 76. Not many people say Saxon is behind as compared to TT. MM is just ahead in many areas and there are things on the placement tests (like bar diagrams) that might look pretty foreign to a kid in a traditional math like TT or Saxon.

I gave her the placement test as I was feeling a little anxious about her being a 5th grader in 4B. (We do hope to cover 5A before fall, but I'm not going to freak about it now. :001_smile:)

You did know that the MM placement test was an exit test right? So if she passed level 2, she would go into 3. I'm not surprised in the least that MM 2 contains topics not in TT3. It is quite advanced.

:001_smile:)

Yes..I knew it was the exit test but as it looks now, my daughter will be starting TT 4 soon, she is almost done w/ 3 but she would test into MM 2...not even MM 3. She did not pass enought of the exit test to even be able to go into MM3, not by far. But...she does score great on TT3 so...just thought that was strange, I guess. Glad to know MM is ahead of other programs..ha! I will just reinforce some things maybe w/ the topical series of MM.

Kim

TT definitely runs behind, IMO. Becca is solidly in the middle of second grade math, not advanced or gifted, and she could easily be in the middle of TT 3 right now. I still plan to use it, but I'm combining with CLE and using the unit tests to place her accurately within the level.

My daughter is not retaining anything, so we just switched to Saxon 5/4.

We did this, too, except we went with MUS. My kids were passing everything just fine. I required a score of 90% or better to go to the next lesson. But... by the time they hit a few lessons down, they had forgotten everything. I put them back in Alpha for MUS (they were in TT3), and we're starting from scratch now.

My DD hated TT5 after the first 16 lessons. I really wanted TT to work for her, and stop the math war at my house. I had her do the first Key to books for fractions and decimals while I tried to figure out a replacement for TT. I printed out the MM grade 3 test and knew immediately there was no way she would make it past the first 2 pages without melting into a sobbing puddle on the floor. I got her up to speed by using the dk blue topic books for addition and subtraction and the one for multiplication before she started into 4A. There is a big difference in the programs and how they present the topics. I knew DD had to start close to the beginning, but now she tolerates it better than anything we have tried before.:glare:

I just don't think you can compare the two programs they are so different in so many ways. A better test of your childs ability and retention of material would be a standardized test for their appropriate grade level.

My daughter did MM3 and then moved to TT5 and has rarely missed a problem (on lesson 66). I think it's at least a year behind most math textbooks. I'd say TT5 is similar to what I've seen of Saxon 54 (which is mostly used for 4th grade)... And at times, it's two years behind more solid programs like Singapore or MM. Keep the levels in mind when ordering. I probably could have gone with TT6, but my daughter has a very low tolerance for frustration... I didn't want to challenge her too deeply -- I wanted her to be successful without struggle. TT can do that for you.

So I do recommend it - at the appropriate level, but with one reservation. I think TT does a good job of teaching algorithms... of teaching the procedure of how to solve problems. It does not, however, address the underlying concepts very well. So, for instance, we're working on long division now. Along with TT, we're also working with base 10 blocks and doing some pages from MM Division 1 and 2 to get a better foundation.

I anticipate that she'll start TT6 in the fall and I'm happy to keep going with TT as long as it's working for us -- but I worry that it does need supplementation to make certain that students understand the concepts, not just the procedures.

My children became too dependent on watching the solutions. Also, because I was not teaching math every day I was not reviewing it myself. When my dd had questions about graphing equations in Algebra 1... I could not help her because I had not kept up with the lessons. We only used PreAlgebra, Algebra 1 and Geometry.

I did LOVE the PreAlgebra. It gave my second dd a "break" from me teaching and the change of programs was a much need change of routine that we both needed that particular year.