Menu

Elemental Science or Noeo?

Abbeygurl4

I need something for my 8 yo and 12 yo to do together. We've done a bunch of random science here and there, but I need to crack down and get some science under our belts.

I have Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy, but I just can't get into it.

I can't speak to NOEO because I've never used it. We use Elemental Science and just love it. It's really adaptable to different needs of different kids, and the kids just really love it. Science is their favorite subject. Everyday they ask what we *get* to do for science today, and it is because it is such a fun curriculum. I appreciate how easily everything is laid out because I'm not a science-y person.

I bought both programs for Physics this year. My plan was to use NOEO and supplement with Elemental. We got busy and we have ended up using NOEO alone. I liked both programs, but I really appreciate how easy it is to use NOEO. When life gets busy, science still gets done and my daughter loves it.

Suzanne

I've used all three that you mention. I did not like the Apologia Astronomy--we were bored by it. I have used NOEO for biology I. Science got done that year, but we were only a little less bored by it--it was okay. I did by the experiment kit that they sold with it. I'm using ES biology this year, and we love it. I wish Paige had written this curriculum when my oldest dc were younger. It is interesting and fun and it helps us get narrations done. It doesn't take a lot of time and is pretty much open and go. I like to read ahead on the experiments, but some days we just pick those up and run with them too.

Doing a solid year of NOEO was a little boring, but very informative.

I'm finding I have to read more for ES to stick, so ultimately, a combo of

NOEO + EL for 1 semester, then Apologia (Zoos esp.) for the other makes a nice year of science around here.

Currently, we've gone to rotations of a variety of topics using the 17-bazillion science curriculum I have purchased over the years.

What is "BFSU"?

You've all given me some things to think about. Thanks for responding.

I'm glad I'm not the only one bored by Apologia.

I'm thinking I should just download ES since I'd have the least $$ to lose if we don't like or use it.

I'm looking at Noeo Biology 1 for next year and am excited by the look of it. DS5 (will be 1st grade) loves science, doing things and reading about things. I'm curious why some of you have said that it ended up being boring. Why? Did you stick to what the package included or did you supplement it with other things to make it less boring. :bigear:

I'm looking at Noeo Biology 1 for next year and am excited by the look of it. DS5 (will be 1st grade) loves science, doing things and reading about things. I'm curious why some of you have said that it ended up being boring. Why? Did you stick to what the package included or did you supplement it with other things to make it less boring. :bigear:

We just do not enjoy the same topic for more than 3 months. We get bored to tears.

We are over half way through ES Biology this year and my kids love it. I have a "1st" grader and a "3rd" grader. Since ESBio is written with a first grader in mind and I also have a 3rd grader, this is what I do that seems to work well: My 1st grader comes up with one sentence as his narration, I write it on the white board and he copies it. My 3rd grader is allowed to copy that sentence but then has to come up with 2 more sentences (3 sentences for 3rd grade preparing her for short paragraphs in 4th grade per WTM). Sometimes this means my 3rd grader has to dig deeper into the Usborne Science Encyclopedia and or Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia (I bit the bullet and bought both because I need them down the road anyway). This has worked well for us.

Now you are talking about older students. I know Paige is getting ready to, or has recently, released ES Bio for the Logic Stage. I have seen preview pages for the Logic Stage version and I think it would suit your ages well, assuming you are open to Biology next year.

The kids have really enjoyed ES and I have actually executed ES! I know the author graduated from a top notch university and incredibly qualified in her science knowledge. I think you would be pleased.

HTH and good luck!

HTH!