Menu

How to keep food warm for delivery?

I have volunteered to provide dinner tonight for a family dealing with bereavement. The meal is to be delivered between 6:00 and 6:30, and I have a couple of choices about how to get it there.

I've decided on the meal, spaghetti with tomato sauce, garlic bread, a couple of bags of salad and a bottle of dressing, chocolate chip cookies for desert. (The little girl who has lost her father is a picky eater, and they have requested kid-friendly food.)

Whichever way I go for delivery, though, it will be an hour or a little longer from the time the food leaves my kitchen to the moment it arrives at their home. Since they have asked to have it delivered pretty much at dinner time, I don't want to chills things so that they will take too long to warm.

At the moment, I'm thinking my best bet would be to buy foil containers with lids and an inexpensive or disposable (foam) cooler. If I waited until the last second to pack the foods into their containers and then stashed them in the cooler, do you all think it would stay warm enough to be safe to eat?

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

BTDT, trying to keep food warm on a long drive.

Several ideas:

1) wrap the piping hot food containers in several layers of towels and carry in a flat cardboard box (tray) like you would get to carry food out of a warehouse store (sam's or costco).

2) glass 9x13 pans will retain heat better than foil, if you preheat them in a very warm oven. (Just a thought--prehaps it's too much hassle for the family to return the glass pan.)

3) There are many versions of crock pot spaghetti out there. The thermal mass of the crock would keep the 'sketti warm.

4)If you ask them to preheat an oven, they can throw the bread in to heat so it is nice and crispy. It would only take 20 minutes or so.

4) Finally, if you have them, you can use a microwave to heat rice bags and place those around the food container(s) as you drive. In a similar vein, if you have any stoneware baking items (Pampered Chef cookie sheets or pizza stones comes to mind) those would make a good heat source to go under your pans, inside a carboard container.

Can you tell I've done this a few times? ;)

If you have (or can borrow) a regular (not styro) ice chest, then you can definitely get the food there while it's still piping hot!

Before you make the meal, put your biggest pot (or two) on the stove, full of water, and bring to a slow boil. Turn off the heat and wait a couple of minutes for the boil to go down while you prepare other food. Pour the water into your cooler and close the lid while you finish preparing the rest of the meal.

When everything is ready, carefully pour the hot water out of the ice chest and lay a towel in the bottom. Keep the lid closed as much as possible. Immediately put the hot food (in whatever covered container you decide to use) into the cooler and cover it with another layer of towels. Close the lid and keep it closed until mealtime.

Food kept in a pre-heated hot box like this will stay steamy hot for several hours as long as the lid is kept closed.

If you have (or can borrow) a regular (not styro) ice chest, then you can definitely get the food there while it's still piping hot!

Before you make the meal, put your biggest pot (or two) on the stove, full of water, and bring to a slow boil. Turn off the heat and wait a couple of minutes for the boil to go down while you prepare other food. Pour the water into your cooler and close the lid while you finish preparing the rest of the meal.

When everything is ready, carefully pour the hot water out of the ice chest and lay a towel in the bottom. Keep the lid closed as much as possible. Immediately put the hot food (in whatever covered container you decide to use) into the cooler and cover it with another layer of towels. Close the lid and keep it closed until mealtime.

Food kept in a pre-heated hot box like this will stay steamy hot for several hours as long as the lid is kept closed.

Wow! That is a great trick.

Yeah I think that is as good as it will get. Maybe put it in the foil containers and wrap the whole thing in a couple of bath towels or a blanket. If you happen to have a large cooler, maybe even putting it in there would help.

I pack everything in foil, toss in a couple of microwaved heat/cold packs, wrap in towels and place in the cooler.

They will appreciate the (disposable, not necessary to return) foil containers!

Thank you. That is a great, terrific idea. I was concerned about burdening the recipients with returning the cooler, but my husband pointed out that it can be unloaded and brought back at the same time the food is delivered. (I'm not doing the delivery.)

Whew. That will work much better!

Wonderful idea! I also have a meal to deliver soon, I am so stealing this one!