Menu

Please Help number recognition

My son Jackson who is in kindergarten is having trouble with number recognition. He is doing well with telling time, basic adding, but number recognition gets him every time. A little background he turn 6 in January he was born at 35 weeks. He has some developmental delays. He has been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder. He goes to Speech once a week and OT every other week. We do the one to one-hundred counting chart daily. I point to the numbers and say them this takes about 3 minutes. He can count to 100 by himself without the chart. He can recognize numbers up to 14 but has trouble after that. What fun activities can I do with him to help with number recognition. He had a review today we use Abeka and the number was 44 and he said it was 76. I also play a game where I say the number is 35 and have him point to the correct number he gets confused with this also. Thanks so much!

He had a review today we use Abeka and the number was 44 and he said it was 76. I also play a game where I say the number is 35 and have him point to the correct number he gets confused with this also. Thanks so much!

I'm wondering if he doesn't understand why 44 is 44, and why 76 is 76. To him they're just figures, not a symbol that represents a quantity. Does he understand how many tens are in 44 or 76? Does he understand the difference between tens and ones? Maybe Abeka doesn't teach that yet? Or maybe you need to find something that does teach an understanding of the quantities, not just the appearance of the numbers in print?

Have you considered using one of "math ways" of naming numbers?

What I mean by this is instead in of calling 44 "forty-four", he could call it 4-Tens 4-Units. There are a variety of different conventions for these "math names", I settled on using Hundreds, Tens and Units. As we went we also worked on the "English names" and there is no confusion at this point in my 6 year olds mind about our conventional naming system. But occasionally, when he is having difficulty with an equation I will ask questions like: "How many Tens, how many Units."

Taking the irregularity of the English language (by using "math names") does seem to help children when they are starting out. They have an easier time both with the vocabulary and the math names reenforce "place value."

Some postulate that part of the reason for the math success in Asian nations is that their languages all have regular names for numbers (things like 1-Ten 2-Units rather than Twelve). I can't be sure about that, but I did see how much "math names" helped by son starting out.

Something to think about.

Bill

Have you considered it may be a vision problem? Check out the signs and symptoms page at www.covd.org to see if he has any other characteristics of vision problems. He may be trying to memorize them by shape or someother kid designed method and when a number doesn't fit his method, he guesses.

One great way to teach number recognition and number patterning is to do daily calendar activities like preschools and public schools do in early years.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5738393_do-preschool-kindergarten-circle-time.html

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2010/03/preschool-corner-calendar-time.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4808747_skills-using-calendar-popscicle-sticks.html

I thought it would take FOREVER for DD to recognize numbers. Finally, within the past few weeks she's got it down pat. She'll be 7 at the end of October. For some kids, I think it just takes time.

Not at the end of October....at the end of April LOL. So she was almost 7 before she got all number recognition down pat.

Have you considered it may be a vision problem? Check out the signs and symptoms page at www.covd.org to see if he has any other characteristics of vision problems. He may be trying to memorize them by shape or someother kid designed method and when a number doesn't fit his method, he guesses.

One great way to teach number recognition and number patterning is to do daily calendar activities like preschools and public schools do in early years.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5738393_do-preschool-kindergarten-circle-time.html

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2010/03/preschool-corner-calendar-time.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4808747_skills-using-calendar-popscicle-sticks.html

This too. DD6 is in vision therapy....she just completed it. So I'm sure that helped with her number recognition.

Thank you all for your responses. This all gives me alot to think about. Should I teach him place value and explain that 49 is 4 tens and 9 ones? Thanks again. Susan

Yes. Learning place value and (for the short term) using a "math name" naming convention really help understand how our number system works an keeps them from getting hung up on the semantics of irregular English names for numbers.

If you have 1-Ten 5-Units (or Ones) plus 3-Units (or Ones) it is a whole lot easier for a child to understand the sum is 1-Ten 8-Units (or Ones) that it is for them to add fifteen and three to get eighteen.

I would not neglect any vision problems or processing issues if you suspect them, but for many children the issue is as simple as the fact that English is a difficult language for young children.

Bill

Thank you all for your responses. This all gives me alot to think about. Should I teach him place value and explain that 49 is 4 tens and 9 ones? Thanks again. Susan

I would do this. Break out the manipulatives.

Mine got (2 of them so far...) the 100's board without effort after being able to count by tens, and understanding basic place value.

The teens are tricky...we give eleven and twelve nick-names (kinda like Bill), "one-teen and two teen."

Keep working at understanding what the numerals mean, and give it time.

I would do this. Break out the manipulatives.

Mine got (2 of them so far...) the 100's board without effort after being able to count by tens, and understanding basic place value.

The teens are tricky...we give eleven and twelve nick-names (kinda like Bill), "one-teen and two teen."

Keep working at understanding what the numerals mean, and give it time.

I'm not loving one-teen, two-teen. Our first big math disagreement :D

I would not be hard to get me to second some manipulatives :tongue_smilie:

If the OP doesn't have any "proper" manipulatives she could bundle something like Popsicle sticks or toothpicks with a rubber-band into groups of ten (plus loose Units, or Ones).

Bill

use everything to make numbers. Put m and m's in patterns to make numbers. Point out the numbers on menus and gas station signs (and those keep going up!)

Write numbers in his mashed potatoes with your finger.

Do a number of the day...

Today you get 18 of everything...18 cheerios at breakfast, 18 raisins at snack, 18 pretzels with his sandwich, make towers with 18 blocks. Let him put 18 pennies in his bank. Let him see what 18 looks like all day long.

If the OP doesn't have any "proper" manipulatives she could bundle something like Popsicle sticks or toothpicks with a rubber-band into groups of ten (plus loose Units, or Ones).

We did this and it totally worked.

My dd finally figured out that 12 and 21 were not interchangeable by using this!:)

We did this and it totally worked.

My dd finally figured out that 12 and 21 were not interchangeable by using this!:)

Yep. And the "math names" thing helps too. Look at the (perfect) examples you chose.

What the heck is: TWELVE???

"Twelve" tells a child nothing unless they are past the age of semantic confusion. Where 1-Ten 2-Units (or Ones) tells them exactly the parts of which the number is comprised.

TWENTY is pretty much the same. What is a twenty?

So if you can "show it" with some sort of concrete example and "name it" for the short term with a "math name" confusion tends to fade rapidly. Then you can start throwing in the "English names" for 12 and 21.

Bill

Should I get a place value pocket chart and use straws to illustrate. I have a set of farm animal manipulative from ETA Cuisenaire that we use for adding. I am going to try that tomorrow and working on a number a day. Tomorrow I am going to start with 15 and work my way through every day. Thanks for all of the great advice!

Some postulate that part of the reason for the math success in Asian nations is that their languages all have regular names for numbers (things like 1-Ten 2-Units rather than Twelve). I can't be sure about that, but I did see how much "math names" helped by son starting out.

Something to think about.

Bill

I can totally buy this. I studied Mandarin in Beijing with no prior knowledge of the language and it took less than half a day to be fluent in numbers up through the ten thousands. I remember a language tape having oral addition problems as an exercise and I was almost faster in Chinese than in English despite coming from an extensive science/math background and being pretty darn good at mental math and pretty bad at Mandarin. A problem like 4-shi-3 plus 3-shi-6 practically solves itself (7-shi-9)even if you don't know that shi=10.

I also concur about not using names like "one-teen." My son started doing this and I've been trying to break him of the habit. It keeps the pattern but is almost as meaningless as "eleven." I'm happy to hear that using your "math names" was not confusing, but I guess its not a huge leap to separate name from number meaning. Kids that age already do that with letters vs. the sounds they make.

To the OP: if number reading is a problem then the same kind of focus most people use with letters/reading might help: foam bath tub numbers, fridge magnets, number based books, reading speed signs, etc. Also if I'm going to quiz/drill something with my son I always add a physical component like tossing a ball or bean bag as he says the right thing. I don't know if its because he just can't sit still or if its actually helping with some kind of brain focus, but it does help quite a bit and keeps things fun and memorable instead of turning it into a boring flashcard session.

Edited by RoundAbout

I can totally buy this. I studied Mandarin in Beijing with no prior knowledge of the language and it took less than half a day to be fluent in numbers up through the ten thousands. I remember a language tape having oral addition problems as an exercise and I was almost faster in Chinese than in English despite coming from an extensive science/math background and being pretty darn good at mental math and pretty bad at Mandarin. A problem like 4-shi-3 plus 3-shi-6 practically solves itself (7-shi-9)even if you don't know that shi=10.

Thanks for sharing this, very interesting!

Bill

Should I get a place value pocket chart and use straws to illustrate. I have a set of farm animal manipulative from ETA Cuisenaire that we use for adding. I am going to try that tomorrow and working on a number a day. Tomorrow I am going to start with 15 and work my way through every day. Thanks for all of the great advice!

Nope. If you buy any more math supplies, base ten blocks for place value.

Craft sticks bundled in 10's work...as do dimes and pennies, *if* the dc understands dimes are worth 10 pennies.

I'm not loving one-teen, two-teen. Our first big math disagreement :D

Take that one up with ds8.:tongue_smilie: He bestowed those names long ago...I simply cared that he understood (10+_) and *renamed* them eleven and twelve at some point before college. It was important for me that he knew that the number is really called twelve, but we can call it two-teen in math to remember that it is just a 10+2.