Menu

Chemistry program for younger children

TracyR

I have a friend with a daughter that is 13 and they homeschool. She was wondering what science programs are out there geared towards this age for Chemistry. They are a Christian family but think they aren't limiting that fact to what is available out there.

Ellen McHenry has a couple of chemistry programs. Or you can use some of the GEMS units.

I second either of these. My ds does a science co-op with Classic Science. They have done some really cool experiments in that class. It is going to be hard to top any science class after this one. We have been using his curriculum in our co-op for 3 years now. The kids love it!

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/CHEM%20Chapter%20Download.htm

At home my ds just finished Fizz, Bubble and Flash. It is a great supplement to reinforce the periodic table. We also just completed Ellen McHenry's Elements curriculum. My ds loved it so much he said he wanted to do more of her science. So we will start her Carbon Chemistry in a couple of weeks.

It doesn't seem like we do a lot of science until I wrote it all down :tongue_smilie:

There's an inquiry-based science free on the web that is a nice supplement to the McHenry Elements course. Just google--it's from some Nat'l Science place and has an elementary and a middle school level.

Are you thinking of MSNucleus?

http://www.msnucleus.org/

There's also The MathMol Hypermedia Textbook, http://www.nyu.edu/pages/mathmol/txtbk2/

The American Chemical Society has some resources

http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_EDUCATION&node_id=89&use_sec=false&__uuid=69f13d6b-4856-4bc8-9f97-c0d066fe90d1

In addition to their elementary program, Inquiry in Action (linked above), the American Chemical Society also has a free Middle School Chemistry program, which includes on online textbook (~600 pages), student worksheets and lab sheets, and interactive graphics.

I went through the Middle School text and made a complete materials list for it, posted here. A few items are expensive or hard to find, but the vast majority of the materials are cheap and easily available.

Jackie

Jackie, are you familiar with these 2 programs? I am wanting to use some chemistry this year and have been struggling with which curriculum to purchase. I love the idea of using something free but would love any suggestions that might help me with a 6th grader.... (also have a 3rd grader and Kinder next year.)

In addition to their elementary program, Inquiry in Action (linked above), the American Chemical Society also has a free Middle School Chemistry program, which includes on online textbook (~600 pages), student worksheets and lab sheets, and interactive graphics.

I went through the Middle School text and made a complete materials list for it, posted here. A few items are expensive or hard to find, but the vast majority of the materials are cheap and easily available.

Jackie

This is wonderful, thanks!!!

In looking over the materials, what type of balance did you find most useful overall?

Jackie

Wow! This looks really cool!

I am using God's Design for Science-Chemistry series with my 8th and 6th graders this year. I am very pleased with it. I wouldn't want to use it on any younger age that what I am, but I like how much it covers, how meaty it is, yet simple enough to grasp and the experiements are simple, fun and pertinent to the material. Price is very good too. Just another suggestion.

I have a friend with a daughter that is 13 and they homeschool. She was wondering what science programs are out there geared towards this age for Chemistry. They are a Christian family but think they aren't limiting that fact to what is available out there.