Menu

Online French classes for middle school?

Powerspeak (formerly Power-Glide) has an online course designed specifically for middle schoolers. Here is a link to check it out. You'll see that they also have high school courses, and both are designed with three options: 1. just the course 2. the course for credit and 3. the course and a teacher.

Although we've used the older version Power-Glide French for Children and I'm not all that impressed so far, I'm interested in the newer online courses offered through Powerspeak. I've read numerous opinions of Power-Glide and a lot has not been so good, but I've yet to get any thoughtful reviews on the newer Powerspeak versions.

Since I do not speak a foreign language, I find that some of these foreign language programs are very hard to implement. We may possibly sign up for a semester of the Powerspeak course next year just to see if it is a good option for dd. The cost is relatively comparable to RS, Tell Me More French and various other courses I've looked at.

I've poured over a number of French courses, think I make up my mind only to change it again. This happens over and over, and I just can't seem to grab one and go with it. The more I read about learning foreign language, however, I am realizing that using more than one curriculum might be a good thing -- along with reading books, playing games online, etc.

Anyway, let us know what you think. I'd love to hear a second opinion.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Lucinda, I'm learning French along with my fifth grader. We're using So You Really Want to Learn French 1 (formerly called French Prep 1) from Galore Park. I have the student book, the answer key, the CD of dialogues/vocab from each chapter, and the assessment CD. I purchased the first three items as a bundle used but you can buy them together new. Of course, I forget where I purchased them online now...

I was worried about pronunciation but having the CD helps SO much.

Stacy in NJ wrote:

Here's something:

http://landryacademy.com/classes.html

Page half-way down to find Intro to French. I haven't used them and know next to nothing about them. Just something to look at.

Thanks for this link. I had no idea Landry Academy offered such a variety of courses. Looks promising.

HSMom2One wrote:

Powerspeak (formerly Power-Glide) has an online course designed specifically for middle schoolers. Here is a link to check it out. You'll see that they also have high school courses, and both are designed with three options: 1. just the course 2. the course for credit and 3. the course and a teacher.
Thanks. I didn't know about the different options. It's hard to tell from the website, but it doesn't look to me like there is much speaking practice with the teacher. The site says you can contact the teacher by email. Is this what you understand, too?

Thanks. I didn't know about the different options. It's hard to tell from the website, but it doesn't look to me like there is much speaking practice with the teacher. The site says you can contact the teacher by email. Is this what you understand, too?

Caroline,

Power Glide does use a lot of audio in their teaching, so I expect that is included with the online course no matter which of the three options you choose. The lessons are not live though, and with the teaching option that comes with #3, my take is that your personal guidance would be via e-mail.

What you may need is an actual tutor rather than an online course if you want to have interaction with a teacher.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Memoria Press has an online academy that offers classes to go along with their texts (First Form French and Second Form French).
Thanks, Amy. I checked the MP website a few days ago, but I didn't see it listed with their courses/categories on the main page so I didn't even look any further. I appreciate you pointing it out to me! This might be a good option for us, too.

What you may need is an actual tutor rather than an online course if you want to have interaction with a teacher.
Thanks for sharing what you know about Power Glide, Lucinda. I do feel like we need the instruction and accountability of a teacher.

• 7 months later...
Guest ashleyn

There is no magic formula for learning a new language - it requires time, energy, and patience. There are, however, some techniques which will make your language study more efficient and thus help you to learn French more quickly.

Lucinda, I'm learning French along with my fifth grader. We're using So You Really Want to Learn French 1 (formerly called French Prep 1) from Galore Park. I have the student book, the answer key, the CD of dialogues/vocab from each chapter, and the assessment CD. I purchased the first three items as a bundle used but you can buy them together new. Of course, I forget where I purchased them online now...

I was worried about pronunciation but having the CD helps SO much.

My son is using Rosetta Stone online, and we are going to add So You Really Want to Learn French in January. I have heard great things about the program. :)