Menu

Preschool and Kindergarten Must-have Resources

KristenR

Okay, I'm trying to finish up collecting some resources for my 4 and 2 year old. I was wondering if there are any *must have* resources that you guys simply couldn't live without for this age.

I'm not talking curriculum but maybe some books or learning resources that you and your kids really dug.

Thanks!

:lurk5:

Puzzles. Those Lauri ones with slightly different shapes (we have a butterfly one, for example) are really great. Dot to dots. Mazes. A good recipe for homemade playdough. A sturdy stepstool or other way for them to help cook (and do the dishes!). Good crayons, lots of good paper, fingerpaints. If you have a space, an easel. A table where you can leave works-in-progress, whether they be art projects, science models, puzzles, you name it. Fun rhthym instruments. Lots of music! (Right now, everyone in our house is loving They Might Be Giants' kids albums, especially Here Comes Science.) Audiobooks and other audio (like Jim Weiss). A library card--get your kids their own now if you can, lol.

Lots of manipulatives

HWT chalkboards with chalk

HWT wooden pieces

zoobs

cuisainaire rods

MUS blocks

Lots of fun abc books

Dr. Suess, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and several others

Eric Carle books, love Brown Bear, Brown Bear and I made the tot school lap book to go with it.

check out www.makinglearnfun.com for different games/puzzles to go with different books. They love to read the book and then play the games or work the puzzles that go with them.

also dominoes or dice for fun addtion

rice box or sand box to practice letters

I really want a set of sandpaper letters but haven't gotten around to making a set yet.

Edited by RobinF

We like Preschool Art by MaryAnn Kohl. The art projects take minutes plus maybe 15 minutes at the most to prepare, though not for every project. I love this book.

Books, books, books, books from the library. We especially like Harper Collins Treasury, Eloise Wilkins stories, any fairy tales, Jan Brett.

Otherwise, everything we like is already listed here.

Sonlight has some GREAT selections for that age.

A Child's Book of Art by Lucy Micklethwait

The Year at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen

Usborne's First Thousand Words

20th Century Children's Book Treasury

**People by Peter Spier

**Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day?

**The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science

(Those last three are must-haves IMHO.)

Lots and lots of good books, Peak With Books is great, lacing cards, blocks and building toys of every imaginable sort, poker chips, beads to string, lots of art things (pom pom, beads, sequins, pipe cleaners, paper, scissors, glue etc), Kumon my first books are fun, those inexpensive wkbks from WalMart, the Mommy and Me website, Starfall.com, KinderArt.com, EnchantedLearning.com, Waldorf inspired books have a lot of sweet ideas, the Kids Can books (the multicultural art book is wonderful), homemade sandpaper letters, a garden and a place to dig and play outside, sports stuff (balls of all sorts etc), a few of the Baby Einstein videos are really good (Meet the Orchestra or Baby Monet...they aren't just for infants --or at all really), a calandar to learn the days of the week and daily weather checks, chunky triangular pencils, tangrams pattern blocks and cards, letter tiles, counting bears, puppets, Out of Sync Child Has Fun would be wonderful for any child-----oh I could go on. I think this is my favorite age to homeschool!!!!