Menu

Poll about Northwestern's latest news story

What is your opinion of Northwestern in light of their latest news story?  

1. 1. What is your opinion of Northwestern in light of their latest news story?

• I think what was done is perfectly fine. I would be more likely to have my student apply there.
    • I think what was done is perfectly fine, but it doesn't affect our college choices at all.
    • I don't think it was appropriate and I would never let my student apply there now.
    • I don't think it was appropriate, but we would still consider Northwestern in our college choices.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How ironic. Kiddo just got their post PSAT mailing in the mailbox today. Based on that it sounds like a really nice school to consider, but we read through it today with a better understanding of the "meaning" behind some of their advertising slogans.

It was kind of fun...

"The habits learned here carry forward into success in careers and civic life."

Now THAT would explain quite a bit from leaders and politicians lately, no? But I thought sleeping your way up the ladder was frowned upon?

"I love Northwestern's academic diversity."

Well, I suppose it IS diverse.

"Northwestern is very friendly. It is not stuck on itself or its reputation..."

This is more obvious now than before!

"Being so close to Chicago opens up a world of opportunities and resources for anything I aspire to do."

Apparently so!

"One factor that stands out is community: who will your friends and professors be?"

Aye, and the professor part? Therein lies my problem. I'm glad they so succinctly stated it!

Oh well, humor is good for the soul. We had our few minutes of fun, but in spite of their advertising $$, deeds speak more to me. It was really, really ironic getting their mailing from this year today though. I wonder how many others were as amused?

Advancement of knowledge? Come on!

But if they must do demonstation classes, can I suggest one in grammar? Maybe a graphic demonstration of the difference between the words "then" and "than" might help the student who was quoted saying:

“My grandma was like, wow, Northwestern is a little bit different then when I went there,†he said.